FRI, 2:30PM ET
SWA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
ARS1
MUFC2

Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 21: Open Thread

number 21 600x450 Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 21: Open Thread

Yesterday’s Premier League matches went according to script for the teams near the top of the table. Chelsea climbed to the top of the Premier League table, but Manchester City can leapfrog both Arsenal and Chelsea to first place with a win today away at Newcastle United. Meanwhile, a win for Liverpool away at Stoke would leapfrog them over Everton and Spurs into fourth place.

Starting line-ups:

Stoke City: Butland, Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters, Walters, Nzonzi, Adam, Whelan, Arnautovic, Crouch.

Subs: Sorensen, Muniesa, Pennant, Palacios, Etherington, Shotton, Ireland.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez.

Subs: Ward, Kelly, Ibe, Aspas, Moses, Sturridge, Alberto.

Here’s today’s TV/Internet schedule for soccer fans in the United States:

Newcastle vs Man City, 9am, NBCSN
Stoke vs Liverpool, 11am, NCBSN

Before, during or after today’s matches, join the conversation in the comments section below with fellow soccer fans from around the world.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 21: Open Thread

1. IanCransonsKnees says:

4.10pm on a Sunday afternoon, what a stupid time for a game of football. It’s 3c, overcast, windy and I’ll sit there bloody shivering when I could be in a nice warm pub. He

Butland starts, he needs a run to break into the squad for Brazil. Assaidi cannot play against his parent club, I wasn’t impressed at first but I’d take him permanently now.

Rumour doing the rounds today is that Ireland signs permanently tomorrow, followed swiftly by Giudetti on loan from Man City. If I hear anything at the ground I’ll report back later.

I’d take 0-0 now, law of averages states a Liverpool victory as they’ve not beaten us at The Britannia in the league yet.

I’ll get us started with a “Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside”.

• jtm371 says:

IAN
      Sorry about Forest letting you down yesterday.Once again they need to sign a couple of strikers their finishing is awful.

• Guy says:

That last sentence sounds like I said it. :-)

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I thought I was pushing my luck to be honest. What really killed my pig was Lonergan (Bolton’s keeper) tipped a Reid shot onto the post right at the end. They were only getting their own back for the 5-0 defeat at Wembley.

• Guy says:

Don’t know how we stop the Hungry One, but you never know. Have fun. I’ll look for you shivering in the crowd while I enjoy a pint or two in my comfy, warm den. ;-)

2. Todd says:

This referee is rapidly losing control of this game. I do not understand the call on that Tiote goal. None of those players were interfering with play.

The refereeing could be the catalyst Newcastle need to get back into the game.

3. IanCransonsKnees says:

Crowd sounds stirred by the poor decision at Newcastle

4. Jim says:

Newcastle were robbed. That goal should have stood. Bad officiating. What else is new.

5. Abdirahman says:

Its anothe blunder from the officials. That goal could be the goal of the season. This officials make me to hate soccer.. They are clearly supporting city.

6. Flyvanescence says:

Awful decision on that Tiote goal. Gouffran was not in the play.

7. Adam says:

Would people just shut your faces saying the refs support so and so. They would have made that bad decision regardless of who was playing. They are clearly having a bad game, wouldn’t matter who was playing.

8. Todd says:

Even my wife is upset by the poor judgement by the referee.

9. Abdirahman says:

If city win this one today the officials stole them. Those officials make every week very harsh and cruel decision that ruin some teams dreams.

10. goisles01 says:

I call shenanigans :)

11. Abdirahman says:

This can’t continue in the future sure! Some thing needs to be done in the referee!! They are really spoiling games in a favour to team.

12. goisles01 says:

Crucial match for LFC. I believe if they fail to secure a win at the Britannia, it would be the first time all year that LFC would be outside top 5 at the end of the week with the top clubs putting more distance between them.

13. Abdirahman says:

Congratulations to “mike jones” city’s new signing!! Well done!!

• Flyvanescence says:

Give it up dude

• Flyvanescence says:

What about the definite red-card tackle by Mbiwa that wrecked Nasri’s knee?

What about the second yellow card that Cabaye should have but didnt receive?

Newcastle should have been down to 9 men and City still scored a second goal. Even with the disallowed goal its 2-1.

Quit your blathering bullcrap.

14. Guy says:

Ouch! That one hurts.

15. goisles01 says:

Why didn’t we get that bit of luck during christmas. could’ve used that against city or Chelsea. we’ll take it

16. Smokey Bacon says:

Wrestling match at Stoke? Who’d have thought?

17. Smokey Bacon says:

Liverpool just did a Stoke……to Stoke!

18. Guy says:

Aack! Sloppy, sloppy Stoke.

19. Smokey Bacon says:

Nice comeback save by Butland after the nightmare for the goal. Good game.

20. goisles01 says:

This is the Ex-Reds revenge tour

21. Frill Artist says:

Wow. I know Guy must be making a racket of a noise in his house after that shot. What a smasher!

22. Guy says:

Skrtel couldn’t stop Charlie ’cause he couldn’t grab his shirt. :-)

23. Christopher Harris says:

Ian Cranson’s Knees is a very fortunate man to be in attendance at a match like that. Great 45 minutes.

• Smokey Bacon says:

Fingers crossed for ICK that Stoke go on to complete the comeback. Come on Stoke!

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Cheers Smokey, wouldn’t have expected that from you ;-)

I’m sure you’ll have similar performances under that clown Holloway.

• Smokey Bacon says:

I’d love it if Holloway has us playing like that. 100% effort. That’s all we want as fans. None of this boring chess match rubbish.

24. Guy says:

Hate to do it, but I have to go out. Recording the rest. If there’s any justice we’ll win this on a penalty call against Skrtel.

25. jtm371 says:

what a crap penalty. Skrtel has yanked every man he has covered in the box and no calls.

26. Christopher Harris says:

Breathtaking game between Stoke and Liverpool.

27. Flyvanescence says:

When will Skrtel be punished for his awful set-piece defending?
    If u dont wanna award a penalty for something like that, fine. But at least book the bloke.

28. Smokey Bacon says:

Stoke are giving Suarez a bit of a going over. Agricultural style.

29. Smokey Bacon says:

Fantastic goal by Suarez. Ever since they gave him that chew toy for his wrist he’s been phenomenal.

30. Smokey Bacon says:

Game of the season so far. No question.

31. Flyvanescence says:

Ouch. Was hoping Stoke could snatch an equalizer.

On the bright side Pool maintain the gap above the rags.

32. Abdirahman says:

Didn’t watch stoke vs liverbool but seen the score line. i think everton 3 vs liverbool 3 is still the game of the season.

33. IanCransonsKnees says:

Well at least we made a game of it giving those 2 comical goals away. You could see Taylor’s hard on from the other end of the stadium as he gave Sterling’s penalty.

Sterling was quality for Liverpool. Both defences were awful. It could easily have been a draw and might have been if Begovic was fit. Now I know how Blackpool and Burnley fans feel, getting patronized and patted on the head.

Cameron, Whelan, Adam and Crouch played well for us but we carried too many, particularly Arnautovic.

No news on signings but a bar in New York should receive a few signed Stoke mementos in September. I’ve been asked to bring a few things over by a friend so should be in for a few free beers. Point me in the direction of your decent brews, none of that Bud nonsense.

34. Guy says:

Came back and watched. Poor defense will do you in every time. Sturridge’s dagger at the end was all hustle on his part. Pretty.

If we play with that intensity the rest of the season we’ll be OK. Going to see what my Panthers can do.

35. IanCransonsKnees says:

Forgot to say I’ve got Toure, Mingolet and Shawcross in my fantasy league defence. What a ‘mare :-(

36. dust says:

Officials today had nightmare games, really poor. Newcastles should’ve had a goal, and a man Sent off, Pardew should also get a retro ban for being an unprofessional and conducting himself so poorly.

As for the LFC game…Skertel “Defending/Wrestling” going unpunished is a joke, as was Sterlings dive (never a pen) and Adam leaving his foot in ….again. What a joke.

The FA need a thorough review of these guys…poor all round.

• Jimmy Rustle says:

Just because you don’t think it was a pen doesn’t mean it was a dive. There was enough contact for him to go down and he did as most attackers in that position would. It was a soft penalty but a penalty nonetheless. Or as Rodgers has come to coin it – a Spanish penalty.

• Dust says:

Contact! .its s contact sport, contact doesn’t mean a penalty. It would never have been a free kick outside the box so why would it be called inside?

As for Rodgers & “Spanish Penalties” I’ve never heard him say that, but tbh Liverpool players dive a lot so, it’s not a surprise as much as it’s sad. Goals change games & that pen took away the momentum from stoke who’d picked up where they left off in the first half.

Stoke deserved a point.

• Paul says:

It used to be a contact sport. Games changed these days. The fact is, if a player makes a challenge in the box – with contact – they’ve got to win the ball no matter what. They don’t and the other player will go down and more often than not the ref will point to the spot.

Was it a massively soft pen to award? Yes.

Was it a pen though? Yes.

Like Rodgers said, if it was your team you wouldn’t have issue. That happened to Tottenham, would you be on here slating it? Nope. And to be honest after some of the calls so far this season, I don’t mind a bit of good fortune coming our way in that sense – swings and roundabouts.

Whatever though because it’s 3 points in the bag and that’s all that matters.

• De Selby says:

Newcastle should have had two sent off. I assume the one you mention refers to Mbiwa’s terrible challenge on Nasri. Cabaye committed a clear yellow card offence when he was already on a yellow but Mike Jones didn’t call it because he knew he already screwed Newcastle.

Skrtel should be called for a minimum of one penalty a game but for no reason I can think of gets away with it every time.

I thought Sterling went down easily but I don’t have a problem with that call. (And if it matters, I don’t care for Liverpool)

On the bright side I felt there was a noticeable lack of bad calls on Saturday.