Manchester United striker Robin van Persie could be out of action for another six weeks with his thigh injury, after being sent to the Netherlands for more treatment. Van Persie will miss today’s match against Swansea City, which makes it nine consecutive United matches that he has missed.
Van Persie suffered the same injury at Arsenal in December 2007 and did not play in the Premier League between December 16 and March 9 — almost four months.
David Moyes said:
“We’re trying to get Robin back. He’s got a thigh strain similar to the one he had at Arsenal [in the second half of the 2007/2008 season].
“He never had an injury all last season. He took a corner against Shakhtar and felt his thigh so it was a freak thing really and not [aggravating] an injury he’d had before.
“It’s a different injury. We have to manage it correctly and he’s been to Holland to see a guy he works with there. So we’re doing everything we can to give him the right treatment and get him back as soon as we possibly can. But I don’t want to put a date on his return.”
In addition to Van Persie being injured, Wayne Rooney will also miss today’s match but may be ready to play against Chelsea next week. Rooney has been sent for treatment to his groin injury to a warmer climate, which is believed to be Egypt.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Robin van Persie could be out of action for another six weeks with thigh injury — The Mail
- David Moyes asked Rene Meulensteen to stay at Manchester United — Manchester Evening News
- Sir Alex Ferguson plays one last mind game – and as usual he’s winning — The Guardian
- Erik Lamela has a big future and will be staying at Tottenham, says Sherwood — Evening Standard
- Chelsea’s Kevin De Bruyne on verge of joining Wolfsburg — DH.be
- Andy Carroll may be rushed back for West Ham’s game with Cardiff — The Mail
- The last time Manchester United last lost four games in a row was 1961z — The Guardian
- Wilfried Bony interview: Why I am Swansea’s Daddy Cool — The Mail
- FA appoints expert to help in Nicolas Anelka quenelle investigation — The Guardian
- Hillsborough families say police spied on campaigners — BBC Sport
- Bacary Sagna offered £4.1m per season deal to join Galatasaray — The Mail
- Fabio da Silva to join Cardiff on loan from Manchester United — Manchester Evening News
- Ferguson to miss Swansea visit as former United boss jets to Barbados with family — The Mail
- Eden Hazard is worth £100m, says Jose Mourinho, but he’s not for sale — The Independent
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.