Blatter Slams Brazil By Insisting ‘No Host Country Has Been So Far Behind’: Daily Soccer Report
FIFA President Sepp Blatter has slammed Brazil World Cup 2014 organizers by saying that no host country has been so far behind before in their preparations to host the major soccer tournament even though Brazil is the only host nation that has had so much time — seven years — to prepare.
Blatter slammed Brazil organizers by saying that six of the 12 host stadia have failed to meet the December 31 deadline while delays have also affected work on hotels, airports and roads.
The FIFA president said that South Africa was more prepared at this stage than Brazil.
The Independent newspaper said that work on three stadia in Brazil is likely to go on until the middle of April, just a few weeks before the start of the tournament on June 12, but Blatter admitted early in December that there is “no plan B”. The Brazilian government announced it would be completed in February, only for – a day later – FIFA to confirm another deadline of April 15.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Sepp Blatter slams Brazil organizers by insisting ‘no host country has been so far behind’ — The Independent
- West Ham United complete surprise move for Wolverhampton Wanderers defender Roger Johnson — The Mail
- ‘I tried to sign Robert Lewandowski but he was always going to Bayern Munich’, says Wenger — The Mail
- Theo Walcott unlikely to face FA charge for provocative gesture — Evening Standard
- Stoke eye move for Manchester City’s John Guidetti — Sky Sports
- Rickie Lambert will be offered £65k a week to tempt him away from Southampton — The Mirror
- Maurice Edu in dire need of a January move out of Stoke City — Pro Soccer Talk
- Chelsea squad contains no divers says Mourinho — BBC Sport
- Cardiff set to sign Norwegians Mats Moller Daehli and Magnus Wolff Eikrem — Sky Sports
- Sam Allardyce wants Joleon Lescott on loan — Metro
- Fan stabbed after Liverpool FC v Oldham FA Cup clash — Liverpool Echo
- Vincent Tan puts Malaysia on map — New Straits Times
- New soccer deals to push 2014 TV sports rights to a bumper $24.2bn — Inside World Football
- Bullying Bayern Munich target Europe domination after Lewandowski raid — The Guardian
- Bayern Munich say Mario Mandzukic is not for sale and rule out David Luiz bid — Sky Sports
- Giuseppe Rossi of Fiorentina injures knee again — ESPN FC
- Roma confirm offers received for Manchester United and Tottenham ‘target’ Miralem Pjanic — The Independent
- Monaco plot shock bid for £8m rated Blackpool winger Tom Ince — The Independent
- Mohamed debut brings early, continued success for Club América — Pro Soccer Talk
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.