THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
ZUR
THURS, 3PM ET
MON
APO

Arsenal’s Theo Walcott Trolls Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture [PHOTO]

theo walcott2 Arsenals Theo Walcott Trolls Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture [PHOTO]

Arsenal’s Theo Walcott rubbed in the Gunners victory against Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup Third Round today by reminding them of the score after being carried off the pitch on a stretcher in front of the Spurs supporters in the away end.

During the commentary of the match, former Arsenal footballer Stewart Robson criticized Walcott’s actions, describing it as “pathetic behavior.”

As Walcott was carried toward the tunnel, Tottenham Hotspur fans directed verbal abuse toward Walcott. Just a minute later, as the stretcher went in front of the Arsenal supporters, the Arsenal fans showered Walcott with scarves, applause and praise.

What’s your opinion regarding Walcott’s behavior? Was it pathetic behavior or banter? Share your feedback in the comments section below.

While Walcott was over the moon with the two-nil victory, Arsenal will be concerned that Mikel Arteta and Theo Walcott were withdrawn from the match after suffering injuries.

Editor’s note: For the latest Gunners news, analysis and opinion, visit the Arsenal team page.

This entry was posted in Arsenal, FA Cup, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Arsenal’s Theo Walcott Trolls Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture [PHOTO]

1. JB says:

Robson’s never had Arsenal in his blood, he played for us but that’s it. You lacked passion in most games Robson, s your oomment doesn’t surprise us Gooners. There are some filthy mouthed Spurs fans as there are some filthy mouthed Arsenal fans. Yes he didn’t need to eact, but come on its just showing the scoreline, not exactly a wind up is it? surely spurs fans knew the score

• Balboa77 says:

I agree. Is it really “trolling” when the hideous Spud supporters are showering him with hateful comments?

2. FreddyFreak says:

He will get the Wilshere treatment by the FA.

3. Dav says:

all done with a smile on his face no doubt whilst the Spurs fans were hurling far worse abuse at him. Robson is a bitter little man with a huge chip on his shoulder about Arsenal, perhaps because they sacked him.

4. dano328 says:

So funny how the last two years they have been saying power shift in North London, blah, blah. Even when we had bad years we were better than that lot. They will never reach the status Arsenal has. Plus, they have a crappy old ground. Build a stadium, sell your best player two years in a row and see if you can make the Champions League.

5. AJ says:

Actually he could and should be arrested for attempting to incite a riot.

No, I’m not a Spurs supporter either. As a Rangers fan I remember some of our players being arrested for that same reason.

• velocity_grl says:

So I’m a yank and thus hardly an authority on these things, but I’m not sure comparing a Spurs-Arsenal rivalry to something along the lines of an Old Firm derby is quite fair.

Walcott was winding up Spurs supporters who were probably saying unprintable things to him. There was no hint of that spilling over to the crowd, at least from what I saw. Reaction to Walcott seemed to be directed directly back at him, from both the away support and the home fans.

6. vicky sandhu says:

The behaviour is actually acceptable. What a calm response by Walcott to the frustrated Spurrrrrrrrssssss fans.
    Gunner forever

7. oladimeji says:

He neva be a gooner n he’ll neva be part of us,I support u watt

8. Saints Fan says:

He bottled it. The fingers should have been the other way round.

9. kevin says:

Was it pathetic when the spurs abused him,they deserve even worse.THUMBS UP THEO!

10. vincent says:

I would have shown them my black ass if I were Walcott.

11. Evan says:

Did you just use the world “trolls” in the title of an article? When did this become a place populated by 12 year olds?

It’s painful to read that title.

• Christopher Harris says:

It was the most appropriate word I could think of to describe what he did. What other word would you suggest, Evan? (Serious question).

• Evan says:

“Arsenal’s Theo Walcott Enrages Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture”

“Arsenal’s Theo Goads Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture”

“Arsenal’s Theo Taunts Tottenham Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture”

I could go on. The word “Troll” is just incredibly childish and not a very creative or descriptive word.

• Christopher Harris says:

I disagree. There’s nothing childish about it. But I do like ‘enrages.’ It was a quickly written headline, but if I had to do it again, I would use ‘enrages.’

• Georgie says:

What about more positive

“Arsenal’s Theo Walcott greets Tottenhanm Fans With Two Nil Hand Gesture”

• Balboa77 says:

Do/did you teach high school english in the Chicagoland area? You REALLY sound like this annoying teech we had!

• Evan says:

Nah, I honestly just have a hatred for the word “trolls”…

It’s already on its way out. It peaked in 2012, and anyone who still uses that word sounds like a moron.

• velocity_grl says:

I thought it was both concise and accurate, two of the major requirements for a good headline.

It does seem to bring up a larger issue that I don’t see discussed often (probably because I’m not bothered to look for it!), which has something to do with the differences between print journalism and internet journalism.

I think it’s safe to assume, given the proliferation of the internet and the fact that the majority of the readership here is more likely to get their news online, that there are going to be aspects of internet culture that will be standardized over time. ‘Troll’ is a good example of a new kind of jargon that is quite simply necessary.

It’s not about ’12 year olds’, it’s about the evolution of journalism in response to the new ways in which we interact with each other and discuss ideas over the internet.

It’s not immature (which is what I guess you’re suggesting) to use the word, but it can be if you’re using it to do the very thing you’re objecting to. If you don’t have any constructive alternatives, and you’re trying to bait someone with an ad hominem attack, what exactly are you doing?

I’ll give you a hint. It starts with ‘t’.

• JJ says:

Great response. You don’t sound like someone who’s just getting into football tbh.

• velocity_grl says:

I’ve been in love with the game for a long time now, and I find that the more I watch it the more and then less I understand it. It’s fantastic.

Being mostly isolated in my love for the game (don’t have any similarly smitten folks around) it’s always hard for me to know how much I know, if that makes sense. :)

• rkujay says:

I too object to the use of the word ‘troll’. It is frequently used by the sophomoric, argumentative comments seen on fox and espn websites. The respect shown to views other than ones own is what makes this website special. I hope World Soccer Talk continues to be a fan friendly place where a healthy difference of opinion does not lead to personal attacks. Trolls, please troll elsewhere.

12. Hickorywind says:

I’m a Spurs fan, and I don’t really see the big deal here. Arsenal won, he flashed the score, better luck for us next time. I’m not sure why anyone would be upset over this. It’s not like he flipped anyone off.

13. NP says:

The best part of this gesture was his goofy grin on his face.

14. Biff says:

Maybe edit your story to include Wenger’s quote about coins flying in at him. “The doctors said to me that the coins had been raining over his head and they had to protect him, maybe that is why he did that. Yes [the coins came before the gesture] that is what I have been told.”

15. insert name here says:

He just told them the score. It was a harmless and good humoured reaction by Walcott to abuse from some idiot fans. If some fans at the game were offended by his gesture then perhaps they shouldnt dish it out if they cant take it back. Some footy fans just want a excuse to be offended.

16. Frill Artist says:

What a twat.

17. Anthony says:

Would have been nice had you mentioned the fact that spurs are under investigation by the FA now because their fans pelted Theo with coins as he lay on the ground injured no doubt sparking his response. And as far as Robson is concerned the only thing “pathetic” is his continual bashing of our team and Wenger. Not sure if he goes over the top to show he is unbiased since he’s an ex-player but he’s gone way over the top in the other direction over the years.