Brendan Rodgers Furious Blaming Liverpool’s Defeat at Manchester City On ‘Home Referee’: Nightly Soccer Report
Other than the over-exaggeration by Luis Suarez who tried to win a penalty after having his shirt pulled in the box late in the game against Manchester City, Liverpool deservedly have a lot of complaints regarding the refereeing during Thursday’s match at the Etihad Stadium.
Brendan Rodgers in his post-match interview had this to say about referee Lee Mason:
“We had no help from the officials. They were horrendous. We never got any decision for us. The linesman for the offside one – they’re not even on the same cut of grass. It is not even a difficult one.
“It is a perfectly timed run when he was through on goal, the kind of move we have worked hard on. You can’t get a decision like that wrong at this level. They are big moments in a big game.
“There was another incident where Luis didn’t get a free-kick when Joleon Lescott comes through and it was waved play on. It is arguable it is a penalty at the end. But it was throughout the game.
“Hopefully we don’t have a Greater Manchester referee again on a Liverpool-Manchester game. I was surprised we were playing in Manchester and have a referee from Greater Manchester.
“I never speak about officials but I feel the need to protect the players this evening. They were outstanding and got nothing.
“Come the end of the game, the next day or two, I will get a call from an assessor and be asked for my opinion of the performance. I would ask the question. I am sure we won’t get Liverpool-Man City [refereed by] someone from the Wirral.”
The result from the decisive game saw Manchester City climb into second place, while Liverpool dropped to fourth in the table.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Brendan Rodgers furious blaming Liverpool’s defeat at Manchester City on ‘home referee’ — Telegraph
- Southampton won’t sell Adam Lallana after Manchester United link — Sky Sports
- West Bromwich Albion poised to appoint former Real Betis coach Pepe Mel — Telegraph
- Malky Mackay hits out at Tan’s antics, as Cardiff suffer big defeat to Saints — Pro Soccer Talk
- Tottenham eye cut price deal for Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis — Metro
- Stoke boss Mark Hughes ‘dismayed’ at referee Martin Atkinson’s performance as nine-man Potters crash — Mirror
- Which Premier League teams score (and concede) the most gift goals? — Deadspin
- Chelsea setback as Ramires is banned from Liverpool game after fifth yellow card of season — Telegraph
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.