SAT, 8:45AM ET
SAT, 11AM ET
HUL
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

nbc premier league rebecca lowe 600x399 Rebecca Lowe to Host 2014 Winter Olympics On NBC Sports; What Does It Mean For EPL Fans?

NBC Sports Premier League host Rebecca Lowe has been named as host of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games that will be held in Russia early next year, according to a report by Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.

Since August, Lowe has hit the ground running hosting NBC’s Premier League coverage that has generated record high ratings on NBC. Lowe was approached regarding the position of host and was asked whether she would be interested.

“When they asked if I would be interested, I was floored. I wasn’t expecting it. It is very easy to pigeonhole people and I think being a female back in the UK, I was pigeonholed as one of the females who does football (soccer) only. It’s very difficult to show people that you can actually do other things and why wouldn’t you be able to do so? I’d like the opportunity to say maybe I’m not just all about soccer, even as much as love the sport. Fingers crossed, I’m hoping I can show that.”

Coverage of the Winter Olympic Games runs from February 6-24, 2014, but Lowe will — no doubt — be in Sochi earlier than that to prepare. While it’s bad news that Lowe won’t be hosting Premier League soccer on NBC for 3-4 weeks or more, the good news is that Steve Bower has been selected as Lowe’s temporary replacement. Once the Games are over and Lowe has “recharged her batteries,” she’ll step right back in behind the desk at NBC Studios while Bower will return to England.

What games will Lowe miss while she’s in Russia hosting the Winter Olympic Games? Some key matches include Manchester City-Chelsea, Liverpool-Arsenal, Swansea-Cardiff, Arsenal-Manchester United, and possibly Man City-Man United (on either March 1, 2 or 3).

While we’ll be sad to see Rebecca Lowe go for a month, congratulations to her on a well-deserved achievement. It’s a perfect example of how flawless she and the entire TV experience has been for the Premier League this season. We can’t wait to watch her hosting the Winter Games!

It’s also a very smart move by NBC Sports to bring in Steve Bower. It’s obvious that NBC Sports is listening and reading the feedback of soccer fans who have almost unanimously raved about Bower.

Here’s our video showing a behind-the-scenes tour of NBC’s studios in Stamford, CT, as well as an exclusive interview with Rebecca Lowe on a recent Premier League Saturday:

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, NBC, Rebecca Lowe. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Rebecca Lowe to Host 2014 Winter Olympics On NBC Sports; What Does It Mean For EPL Fans?

1. Casey G says:

Good for her!! It’s a sports broadcasters dream to cover the olympics, so i’m glad she she’ll be able to do that!

2. Smokey Bacon says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

3. Cantona says:

Bower a fantastic replacement … Good for Becks as well, at least NBC recognises her talent. It will be good to give her a football break.

I would love to see Steve doing some more commentating … Top class!

Cantona—

4. Mufc77 says:

I wonder if Gus is available to step in.

5. EPLNFL says:

Great for her and even greater for the tv viewer. Frankly NBC needs fresh faces and voices for its Olympic coverage. Bob Costos and Al Michaels where both showing their age big time in London 2012. Dan Patrick will also have an increased role I saw which is a good move since he is at the top of his game and was very good in London.

Having a broadcaster who is identified with soccer/football actually will help the game in the US since the Olympics are so well watched in America that as in the case of Al Michaels legends can be created and people will tune in to see her soccer coverage upon her return. This may be especially true with the female audience who will get to see her for the first time in many instances.

• AJ says:

Not to rain on the news, but Costas was named the top guy for the Olympics a week or so ago. So, NBC isn’t too progressive.

Congrats to Rebecca, she’s done great and will do great!

• Casey G says:

would love to see NBC bring back Jim Lampley for the olympics like that had for the many previous years of olympic coverage they had.

6. Scrumper says:

What great news for Rebecca Lowe. Sensible thinking by NBC to give the event a fresh approach. I’ll watch it now, where I couldn’t be bothered before.

Wonder if the suits at Fox are watching on how things should be done? I see the four stooges are still hilariously walking around on the astro turf in the studio.

• EPLNFL says:

The stooge approach on the carpet is a network custom just watch their NFL pre-gram and Terry Bradshaw in yellow uggs.

Different networks have taken different attitudes towards the programming. Fox has always viewed their shows are more fun loving and appealing to a younger audience. ESPN views sports as news the CNN of sports broadcasting.

NBC has approached their programming at the high end of things. They are quality over quantity and a somewhat high brow approach and content which the Olympics are clearly presented as.

It makes it fun switching back and forth. On any event Rebecca Lowe is a class act great for her.

7. Len F says:

Good for her! It’s not much of a surprise considering how polished and professional she is with her delivery. Hosting the Olympics is perfect for her and a huge opportunity considering it’s a much broader demographic than any professional sport can offer. Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me to see her leverage this into other non-sports opportunities (like Robin Roberts did at ESPN/ABC).

8. Guy says:

Good for Rebecca and good for NBC recognizing they have a gem on their hands. Unfortunately for us it may well be a sign we’ll be seeing less of her on NBCSN in the long run. The selfish me agrees 100% with Smokey’s “Noooooooooooo!”

• Smokey Bacon says:

I’m gutted about this. Good luck to her but she’s a top notch soccer reporter first and foremost. She has no experience of other sports as far as I know. It’s a waste of her talent to have her commentating on rubbish like the Winter Olympics.

Call me selfish if you like. If they are going to do stuff like this, then perhaps they can bring Holly Sonders over from the Golf channel while Rebecca is in Russia.

9. jtm371 says:

Sucks for EPL fans!

Great for Rebecca break a leg!it is a saying for good luck.i don’t want her to break a leg.

10. Dust says:

Congratulations to Rebeca, she’s been great, I have no doubt she will be successful…I’m sure Michele is happy… :-/

11. insert name here says:

Too many women presenting mens sports shows nowadays.

• Flyvanescence says:

Men like eye candy

• Clampdown says:

Hey grandpa, how’s it going?

• insert name here says:

Sorry mate but wrong guess, Im not old so If I were youre grandpa you would have to be a fetus & you dont seem intelligent enough to be a fetus !!! Now to the person who actually made sense. I realise that the pretty women presenters are there mainly for eye candy but Id prefer the best person for the job like a ex player etc. Someone who knows what theyre talking about & not someone who’s there mainly coz she is pretty.

• Clampdown says:

She is there to host and facilitate conversation, and she does that quite well. She is already paired with two ex-footballers who provide the analysis.

Also, you probably shouldn’t be commenting on others’ intelligence when you don’t use proper punctuation or grammar.

12. Great for her- she’s earned it and is finally getting the due long owed to her IMO.

But I must admit I am excited that Steve Bower, a real pro will be deputizing for her. He will do a VERY good job. I have been watching him since he was at MUTV. He’s very under rated IMO.

13. Mark Williamson says:

Ok Rebecca, out on loan for the Olympics only! Then you come back! Will be nice to see Steve Bowers. I think he is right up there with the best announcers.

14. Mannyboy says:

I like Rebecca she knows her footie stuff and delivers with flair! However Steve Bower will be a very good stand-in, solid.

15. David Woods says:

Rebecca:

All good wishes. Now then, please do something about the unintelligible accents and trite comments of the so-called analysts. (‘it’s hit the crossbar;’ the (penalty) kick is into the left side corner;’ etc. Watching WBA and Burnley today I felt a pressing need for subtitles. If the ‘analysts’ can’t speak clearly, please find replacements who can.

DW