2. The sheer amount of content has increased at Pro Soccer Talk, bringing viewers a better choice of articles about the world’s game, not just MLS.
3. Joe Prince-Wright‘s exhaustive articles about Premier League clubs, where he visits the towns and cities, interviews supporter clubs and club officials, as well as paints a picture of what life is like in that part of Britain, are some of the best work that NBC’s Pro Soccer Talk has ever produced. Incredibly well-written.
1. Despite the herculean work that people like Liviu Bird, Joe Prince-Wright and Richard Farley are doing at covering the Premier League, the articles are buried on the site. These are feature length articles that should be featured and highlighted across NBC’s properties, as well as made easier to find on the homepage of the soccer site. NBC’s PR teams should be making sure that other media are aware of them.
2. Not only are the gems of articles “hidden” on Pro Soccer Talk, but the format of the website doesn’t bring out the best in the articles. The narrow column width and lack of large images and wide-enough video squashes these brilliant works into “a box,” and not giving them the TLC they deserve.
3. The integration of video into the site is clunky. Pro Soccer Talk offers video highlights of key goals or incidents in games, but the site really needs its own soccer video section that makes it easier for users to browse through the video content on offer. NBCSports.com has a section, but you have to wade through the other sports to find the soccer videos you’re looking for. Perhaps a soccer video section already exists on Pro Soccer Talk? If it does, it’s not easy to find. The site (and video platform) needs a complete overhaul and redesign to make it more user-friendly and modern.
4. The high quality standards and A-rated production that NBC gives to its TV production of Premier League matches is not carried over to its soccer website. NBC’s Pro Soccer Talk has the potential to be a more comprehensive site that features content of higher quality, as well as a mix of different media formats — not just the written word. Pro Soccer Talk is scratching the surface, but it has a long way to go before its a daily must-visit for soccer fans.
NBC faced a mammoth task in getting the network ready for its launch of the Premier League. Some of the issues NBC faced were the nature of the TV industry in the United States where regional cable channels and satellite companies make it difficult to get new channels on the air (as well as authenticated login to NBC Sports Live Extra). For the most part, NBC came through in the end. However, the journey to get there was a pretty stressful time for some soccer fans, and it meant many of them had to change providers to get the soccer games they wanted.