Montreal Impact Set to Name Alessandro Nesta As New Coach, Says Report: Nightly Soccer Report
Montreal Impact are set to name Alessandro Nesta as their new coach, according to a report tonight by Grant Wahl.
The Italian centre back, who has been capped 78 teams by his country, retired from playing soccer last month after spending his final two seasons of his footballing career with the Canadian MLS side.
Current Impact coach Marco Schällibaum is expected to step aside to allow Nesta to manage the team. Under Schällibaum, Montreal Impact exited the MLS playoffs Thursday night after losing 3-0 to Houston in a match where the Impact had three players sent off.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Montreal Impact set to name Alessandro Nesta as new coach, says report — Grant Wahl
- MLS suspends Kinnear for Sunday playoff game; Di Vaio, Romero get extended bans — Pro Soccer Talk
- MLS Playoff Preview: Sporting KC at New England Revolution — Pro Soccer Talk
- Martin Jol backs Dimitar Berbatov to be in mood for goals against United — The Guardian
- Anthony Stokes says Sunderland dressing room was a ‘nightmare’ — The Telegraph
- Chelsea’s winning run fuelled by ‘collective soul’, says José Mourinho — The Guardian
- Arsène Wenger admits Arsenal misjudged Luis Suarez bid — The Independent
- Michael Carrick doubtful for Manchester United’s trip to Fulham — The Guardian
- Malky Mackay and Michael Laudrup risk FA action over referee comments — Sky Sports
- How the once-friendly rivalry between Cardiff City and Swansea City turned poisonous — Telegraph
- Jack Colback keen to play central role in Sunderland relegation fight — The Guardian
- Fulham ditch Mahamadou Diarra for the second time in a matter of months — The Mirror
- Villas-Boas seeks Jermain Defoe Tottenham stay as Toronto admit interest — Sky Sports
- Alex Tettey: Norwich City midfielder ruled out for ‘months’ — BBC Sport
- Steve Bruce regrets ‘mistake’ of taking Sunderland job — The Guardian
- Mexico selects all-domestic squad for playoff with New Zealand — ESPN FC
- Roy Keane set to become Martin O’Neill’s Ireland assistant — Irish Independent
- Yaya Toure lied about racist abuse as revenge for failed 2018 World Cup bid claim CSKA — ESPN
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.