Pellegrini Slams CSKA Moscow Pitch As Rain Threatens Crucial Champions League Tie: Nightly Soccer Report
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini fears that the UEFA Champions League match between CSKA Moscow and his team could be called off in the next 24 hours if it rains due to the poor condition of the pitch.
As pictured above, the state of the pitch at the Khimki Arena is appalling with large amounts of sand deposited on the field. According to Manchester Evening News reporter Stu Brennan, he says that “I’ve seen photos of pitch from higher up and it looks worse. Large patches of sand. No rain forecast, that might save it being a farce.”
“I just saw the pitch and I think it’s unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to be played on this pitch.
“We must pray on Wednesday that it’s not raining. If it’s raining, it will be impossible to play on this pitch.
“It could be called off. I didn’t believe it when I saw the pitch, both for the two teams and also for the people who will watch the game.
“This is the most important competition in the world, and it deserves a better pitch.
“I think if it’s not raining there will be no risk for an injury but it’s not a grass pitch.”
Photo credit: @StuBrennanMEN
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Pellegrini slams CSKA Moscow pitch as rain threatens crucial Champions League tie — Daily Star
- Arsène Wenger unhappy with Arsenal’s naivety against Borussia Dortmund — The Guardian
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang hits out over ‘weird’ failed move to Tottenham — Metro
- Mark Bosnich was a ‘terrible professional,’ says Sir Alex Ferguson — The Guardian
- Loyalty? Sir Alex Ferguson ‘doesn’t know the meaning of the word’ says Roy Keane — The Mirror
- Disgraced Stuart Hall stripped of OBE after being jailed for sex offences – Daily Ecpress
- Jose Mourinho says he won’t contest FA’s improper conduct charge — The Mail
- Melbourne Victory confirm Ange Postecoglou will leave for Socceroos — The Guardian
- Count U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann among those unhappy with FIFA’s World Cup seeding decisions — Pro Soccer Talk
- MLS Disciplinary Committee has a big decision ahead regarding Seattle’s Clint Dempsey — Pro Soccer Talk
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.