THURS, 1PM ET
THURS, 3PM ET
VIL4
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

What the International Break Feels Like …

tumbleweeds What the International Break Feels Like ...

I freely admit that I’m a soccer nut. A day doesn’t go where I’m not watching 2-3 matches a day (or more sometimes), so the coming down from a soccer high to cold turkey during international breaks is oftentimes a shock to the system to me. It may feel the same way to you, too.

Some critics would argue “get a life,” or “go watch another sport,” or “get out of the house.” All those are worthy criticisms, but even when I’m focused on other things in my life, there’s still that feeling at the bottom of my stomach that something is missing in my life.

Thinking about it today, an international break feels like following soccer before there was the Internet and before almost every single match was televised live. It reminds me of childhood, hearing the sound of the grandfather clock slowly ticking away while being dead bored at a relative’s house.

To me, that’s how soccer felt growing up in the UK — unless I was fortunate enough to be going to a match.

What does the international break feel like to you?

This entry was posted in World Cup. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to What the International Break Feels Like …

1. rory says:

That’s what the MLS is for isn’t it? To pass the time during international breaks. Mind you there was also some English L1/L2 action today

2. Tony Butterworth says:

Rory, we’re talking about soccer not MLS. LOL

The break causes me to write pointless articles for this site.

3. Matt Jones says:

I know the feeling. At least spread the games out over the weekend!? Friday night is a ridiculous time to have matches.

4. Proud Eurosnob says:

Personally, I am now on board with staging international matches during the summer months because it is hindering the continuity of the club season. I would like to learn of the FIFPro point of view in this regard.

5. jtm371 says:

i agree it sucks.i would rather watch paint dry before watching mls.thank God the internationals are almost over.

6. CTBlues says:

Because of the international break I was able to take my dog a the near by state park for a nice walk this morning then get some groceries to make breakfast and finish just in time to watch college football all day.

7. Chris says:

If you love soccer (football), then the MLS is another firm of entertainment. I love going to the local Earthquakes games. I can’t go to Stamford Bridge on the weekends living in San Jose, California so the next best thing is the Quakes game. If you have nothing to say about the MLS but negative remarks, then you might not be the big soccer fan you think you are. I can get enjoyment from a high school game nearly as much as a Premier League game because I love the game. If you have to talk smack about any soccer league, tgen I feel bad for you as you aren’t capable of getting the same enjoyment as I do out of the beautiful game at any level.

In the meantime I enjoy watching local action and coaching kids a few times during the week. I fill my nights with watching all the matches from Friday I recorded. It’s amazing to see games like Colombia vs Chile or my beloved USA clinch 1st place in the CONCACAF.

8. goatslookshifty says:

I read a book yesterday, for crying out loud!

9. goatslookshifty says:

Gaffer, the fact you got 15 responses to an article describing how bored you are without the Premier League sort of sums it all up doesn’t it? :)

10. gillyrosh says:

Not a fan of international breaks. In fact, when I hear the words “international break,” this is my reaction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9desZZG_VWk