In the lead up to Saturday’s grudge match between Tottenham and Chelsea, Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas says he doesn’t lose sleep over his break-up with Blues manager Jose Mourinho.
“Our break-up point was because I was full of ambition to give him something extra [at Inter] and I wanted further involvement for the job I was doing at the time, which was scouting and match preparation. I felt I could give him much more so my initial idea was to keep working with him. But he didn’t feel the need for somebody near to him or in another position as an assistant and, because of that, it was decided it was time to continue our careers [apart].”
While the two men, who worked together at Porto, Chelsea and Inter, no longer talk to each other as friends, the focus is on Saturday in what should be a very close encounter between two of the best teams in the Premier League based on current form.
I’m predicting this one will be a very tense affair between two teams that will cancel each other out. Despite how entertaining this game could be, I’m predicting a dour nil-nil result. What’s your feeling about this one? Post your prediction in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- André Villas-Boas: ‘I don’t lose sleep over break-up with José Mourinho’ — The Guardian
- Liverpool must offer Luis Suarez a new deal, insists Kenny Dalglish — Metro
- Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling told to sort his life out by concerned boss Rodgers — The Mirror
- Chesterfield’s Ritchie Humphreys elected chairman of PFA to replace Clarke Carlisle — The Guardian
- Romelu Lukaku situation shows need for Premier League concussion policy — Pro Soccer Talk
- José Mourinho and André Villas-Boas: how the inseparable duo grew apart — The Guardian
- Christian Benteke should return from injury quicker than initially expected, says Lambert — Telegraph
- Manchester United to make renewed effort to sign Fabio Coentrao in January — Metro
- Inside the Arsenal bid to buy Liverpool’s Luis Suarez, with owner Stan Kroenke — The Mirror
- Video: Liverpool supporters throw flares at Man United fans — Off The Post
- Jamaica midfielder Jermaine Hue suspended nine months for doping — Pro Soccer Talk
- U.S. Soccer releases coaches’ earnings, possible World Cup, Olympic bonuses — Pro Soccer Talk
- MLS on Apple TV starting today — The Original Winger
- MLS player salaries: Updated numbers released, show little change — Pro Soccer Talk
- Was it a penalty? Decide for yourself if Real Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo ‘stole’ a La Liga victory over Elche — Independent
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.