THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
MON
THURS, 3PM ET
CEL
SAL

Record Audience of 852k Watched Manchester City vs Manchester United on NBCSN

manchester derby Record Audience of 852k Watched Manchester City vs Manchester United on NBCSN

One week after NBC Sports recorded its largest viewing audience ever for a Premier League match when 917,000 people watched the September 14 game between Everton and Chelsea on the over-the-air NBC network, NBC has broken its record for the most number of viewers on NBCSN for a Premier League match.

An average of 852,000 viewers watched Manchester City against Manchester United on NBCSN beginning at 11am ET on September 22, according to Sports Business Journal. That smashes the previous record of 536,000 who watched the August 26 game between Manchester United and Chelsea.

The 852,000 viewers for the Manchester derby on NBCSN beat out FOX Sports 1′s top viewed program from the weekend, which was the UFC fight that averaged 722,000 viewers on Saturday night.

In other news, the TV viewing audience for LA Galaxy against Seattle Sounders, featuring two of the biggest teams in Major League Soccer, was viewed by 247,000 people. The match was televised live on NBCSN on Saturday, September 21 at 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET. Meanwhile, Portland against Columbus (Friday, September 20 at 7pm PT/10pm ET) had an average viewing audience of 131,000.

Here’s our video showing a behind-the-scenes tour of NBC’s studios in Stamford, CT, on a recent Premier League Saturday:

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester City, Manchester United, NBC. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Record Audience of 852k Watched Manchester City vs Manchester United on NBCSN

1. IanCransonsKnees says:

Any idea how many switched off around the 50 minute mark ;-)

2. saywhat? says:

I would like to see a comparison in the world wide TV audience stats for the last super bowl compared to the last FA cup final.

Just so I can show the data to my american friends on why football is greater than , well football….

3. Proud Eurosnob says:

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to the 852,000 US viewers that prove my Eurosnobbery is justified, now have a pint on me.

4. Dean says:

That’s impressive. I hope that number will rise in the future.

5. Hickorywind says:

Do they track viewers watching games on the Extra Time channels?

6. Pete Q says:

I’m really happy about this.

I try not to look at the world through rose colored glasses. It’s safe to say I’m a realist or a pessimist. But I can only see the viewership on NBCSN and NBC increasing over time. More and more people are talking about the league now. Way more than I have ever experienced in person.

I think it’s a combination NBC’s professional approach to sports coverage and the attractive product produced by the Premier League.

7. gbewing says:

do these numbers have a way to reflect group watching such as in bars- soccer is more a group sport especially big matches. The soccer bar in KC was packed Saturday- most watched the derby but I was watching Spurs – but it’s doing great business Saturday and Sunday mornings- opens at 7

8. Smokey Bacon says:

Keep calm and keep watching NBCSN. Terrific coverage all round. Even the Download is growing on me if only because it’s bringing Mrs Bacon up to speed.

9. dust says:

privacy issues aside, (right google ;P ) Surely Comcast and other service providers can tell exactly what you watch and when you watch, just like a website / ad tracker leaves cookies in your cache on your machines. digital service providers must have more accurate ways of monitoring.

This Nielsen ratings system is outdated. Imagine gaging web traffic gaffer by using statistics based on people with certain boxes? insane lol

10. Mark Finlay says:

It was a great game by City,and will be interesting to see how United respond against Liverpool tonight in the capital One Cup. I have noticed while living in the states that the game is getting more popular, and I expect the viewing audience to increase building up to next summers World Cup. Comcast are not stupid betting big that soccer will grow in the U.S.A. so far things are good lets just keep it up.