Japan’s J-League has decided that it’s going to switch to a two-stage season in a bid to boost fans and revenue. The two-stage season, similar to the apertura and clausura for many Latin soccer leagues, the Mexican league and the NASL, will begin in 2015.
The change has been forecast to boost revenue by $10million.
J-League chairman Kazumi Ohigashi said:
“The growth in average attendance at J-League matches has stalled and the public interest in the league is on the decline. It is an urgent task for us to study and implement measures to further promote the J-League. We aim to have many people interested in the J-League and further expand its fan base.”
According to Inside World Football, the format change comes as J-League average attendances have fallen to 17,566 per match from their peak of 19,202 in 2008.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- J-League switches to two-stage season in bid to boost fans and revenue — Inside World Football
- Euro 2020: UK & Ireland keen to host Championship matches — BBC Sport
- Rafa Marquez called into Mexico camp — SBI
- London, Glasgow, Cardiff and Dublin in the running to host matches at Euro 2020 — Telegraph
- England will push ahead with a bid for the Euro 2020 semi-finals and finals — The Guardian
- Tottenham are better without Gareth Bale says Malky Mackay — The Mail
- Jose Mourinho admits ‘we need goals’ after Chelsea make worst start to a Premier League season for a decade — Independent
- Yohan Cabaye fined by Alan Pardew for trying to force through move to Arsenal — Telegraph
- 10 reasons why this Manchester derby is bound to be different — Evening Standard
- English Premier League kits 2013-2014 — 8bit Football
- Wes Brown back on the treatment table at Sunderland — Newcastle Chronicle
- Ian Holloway does homework for Swansea by going to pub — Evening Standard
- Sunderland skipper John O’Shea back from suspension ahead of West Brom trip — The Mirror
- Stoke City look stylish under Mark Hughes, but miss too many chances — The Guardian
- Inter Milan deny £300m takeover by Erick Thohir has been agreed — BBC Sport
- Francesco Totti signs a two-year contract extension at AS Roma — Sky Sports
- Venky’s post a record £27m loss at Blackburn but say funding is secure — Inside World Football
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.