Now that Wayne Rooney reached the massive figure of 200 goals for Manchester United, manager David Moyes wants Rooney to rewrite club history by breaking through the record books and reaching 250 goals — which would put him down in the history books as the footballer who scored the most goals ever for United, breaking the previous record held by Bobby Charlton with 249 goals.
“I’m not an historian but only four people have scored 200 goals for this club.
“Wayne has a chance to be one of the all-time leading goalscorers at this club and, if he carries on like that, he’s well on his way to achieving that.”
Rooney reached the 200 goal milestone tonight in the victory against Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney challenged to rewrite club history by boss Moyes — The Mirror
- Wayne Rooney gets snippy when asked if he wanted to leave Man United — Dirty Tackle
- Manchester United 4-2 Bayer Leverkusen: Tactical analysis — Outside of the Boot
- Athletic Bilbao opens new San Mames Stadium— The Original Winger
- Rib injury forces Iker Casillas off early in Champions League tie — Pro Soccer Talk
- Leicester go top of Championship after Millwall shock Blackpool — The Guardian
- Stephen Dobbie returns to Blackpool on loan from Crystal Palace — Sky Sports
- Did you know the offside rule got tweaked? UEFA’s chief referee explains — Pro Soccer Talk
- Fifa tells Australia to forget about £25m World Cup bid compensation — The Guardian
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.