FRI, 2:30PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
MCFC2
SWA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
ARS1
MUFC2

Assem Allam Hull City Owner Suggests Manchester City Should Change Its Name to Manchester Hunter: Daily Soccer Report

After recently stating that Hull City was going to rebrand their team name as Hull Tigers, Hull’s owner Assem Allam has now suggested that more clubs in England should change their name, giving the example that Manchester City should be renamed as ‘Manchester Hunter.’

In an interview with The Guardian newspaper, Allam said:

“In a few years many clubs will follow and change their names to something more interesting and I will have proved I am a leader – remember this discussion. City, Town, County: these are meaningless. In marketing the shorter the name the more powerful – think of Coca Cola, Twitter, Apple. By next year I will change the name to Hull Tigers. If I were the owner of Manchester City, I would change the name to Manchester Hunter – you need power. In time I would suggest names for all the clubs called City, but I do not have the time.

“As a businessman I am preparing the club to go globally selling merchandise. To do it you want a shorter name, and you drop the words which don’t mean anything and are common. Leave it to me; I am the businessman running the club – I cannot afford to run the club by fans’ feeling.”

This is an example of a club owner who is out of touch with reality, and out of touch with soccer fans. Many of the clubs in the Premier League have rich histories that feature over 100 years of history and brand equity. To throw all that away just for the sake of selling merchandise is irresponsible.

In the meantime, Allam may be better suited concentrating on his own club and its chances of staying in the Premier League rather than giving his opinion about other club’s names that he’s not affiliated with.

Allam plans on pushing ahead to have his club’s name changed from Hull City to Hull Tigers, but the name change will need to be approved by the FA Council prior to next season.

What’s your opinion about the name change ideas by Hull City owner Assem Allam? Does he want to ruin the tradition of clubs, or is he moving with the times? Have your say in the comments section below.

Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:

Premier League

La Liga

International soccer

MLS

The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Hull City, Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Hull City Owner Suggests Manchester City Should Change Its Name to Manchester Hunter: Daily Soccer Report

1. christian says:

Bahahahahaahhahaahhaah

2. Andy says:

What a truly deluded idiot, if he thinks clubs would piss way their heritage and history by changing their names for marketing reasons, he needs feckin committing. The Premier League already has some of THE most recognisable names in the sporting world with Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea etc and if City keep winning trophies, them too. changing the name of a club like Hull won’t make one iota of difference to their income and all it has succeeded in doing is making the club a figure of ridicule amongst other fans and infuriated a large percentage of their own, let’s hope for Hull’s sake, this clown isn’t around for too long.

3. cnl. onions says:

Makes it fairly easy to sort out who I want to get relegated now.

4. NoviSadDude says:

I sincerely sympathize with Hull City supporters and wish them strength during these challenging times.

5. Paul Winslet says:

Allam has recently confirmed that the holding company will be called Hull Tigers whereas the club will continue to be known as Hull City. At least I’m sure that’s what I read.

I sometimes wish he’d stop speaking to the media as he seems to be presenting himself as a ‘Phil Brown’ type figure open to ridicule.

• Christopher Harris says:

Allam is now intent on changing the name from Hull City to Hull Tigers.

In the interview with The Guardian this week, he said, “By next year I will change the name to Hull Tigers.”

• Blue Mooning says:

Assem should change his name to something approximating Hunt because they dont come any bigger. He needs to get checked in for that lobotomy before its too late.

6. Cantona says:

Just call them M K tigers and move them to the Midlands.

Cantona—

7. Frill Artist says:

He says making the name of the club shorter would make the club more marketable. That doesn’t make any sense considering the fact that “Hull City” and “Hull Tigers” have the same number of syllables. I think the latter might even have more.

• Tigero says:

With regards to Hull City, he’s talking about “Hull Tigers” being shorter than “Hull City Association Football Club” or “Hull City AFC”.

I know nobody actually calls them that anyway, but I suppose in terms of printing a name on a badge/logo, he has a point.

8. Michael says:

Poor Allam! This happens when you’ve had a little too much!

9. Dave says:

Who the hell does he think he is, an American?

10. tc says:

hunter is a longer name than city, numpty

11. Patrick says:

I honestly don’t like the idea of this at all… While it’s all good fun in American sports… Charlotte Hornets, Carlna Panthers etc.. I don’t like this “americanization” with the names of clubs.
    Theres something nostalgic and just more likeable to just being “Villa”, “city”, “Hull”, etc… Sure there are nicknames but thats different than branding the name. I think its a horrible idea

12. Tigero says:

I’m a Hull City/Tigers fan, and I couldn’t care less about this issue to be honest. A lot of people are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing – we already use “Tigers” and “City” interchangeably, so what’s the big deal about making the official name Hull Tigers? You can still call them City if you prefer.

But on the issue of Manchester City, I think it’s different. They already have an established brand and history as “Manchester City”. They don’t really stand to gain anything from renaming (especially to something as aribtrary as “Hunter”). Unlike Hull City, they don’t really need to try and “market” themselves.

• Tigero says:

p.s. I should also add, the guy saved the club from bankruptcy and possible footballing oblivion.

He’s earned the right to call them what he wants, IMO.

13. Gary says:

What’s in a name? Who cares if they’re called Tigers or Wolves. Will it change their style of play? Make them better? Of course not. Even true supporters of Hull will not stop supporting their club if they change their name. Owners come and go but the club and supporters are a constant.

I believe research shows that kids prefer name like Tigers, Lions, etc. for names of teams. Maybe this was done in this country. Maybe people outside of England prefer names like Tigers and if so then maybe the owner is trying to appeal to supporters outside England.

I’m sure supporters of Hull in England will have something to say about this and the only way they can stop the name change will be through their pocketbooks. How likely is that to happen?

14. March says:

As soon as he gives up on the club and leaves, they’ll go back to being the City their fans want them to be… and all this nonsense will be for nothing. Watch and see.

15. Dave H says:

Um,don,t think he thought this through.Instead of Man City they would be be called MAN HUNTER ?

16. Bishopville Red says:

I see a lot of laughing at this idea, but we also have a Premiership club that switched it colours from blue to red simply because red is a more popular colour in the home country of the new owners. That’s 113 years of tradition switched on a whim – and for bigger profits.

As silly as the idea sounds to traditional supporters of European footy, the only thing sillier is people thinking it won’t happen.

SB

17. john marzan says:

this is the problem when you let the foreigners with no respect for the city’s tradition and heritage take over.

if vincent tan had his way, cardiff city (the bluebirds) would become cardiff red dragons.

18. Adam Heap says:

This is just disappointing more than anything. The statement “Leave it to me; I am the businessman running the club – I cannot afford to run the club by fans’ feeling” is staggering.

19. BLUEMOON says:

I REALLY REALLY HOPE THIS GUY GETS CANCER. I REALLY DO

20. Zorrin says:

It makes sense if you’re Hull, because when people talk about City V Utd, you don’t think Hull City Vs Sheffield Utd.

You think of the two big manchester clubs – who are probably well-advised to stick with their names.