West Ham United have signed former Fulham striker Mladen Petric on a free transfer to help solve the striker crisis at Upton Park after it was revealed that Andy Carroll has picked up a new injury.
Fulham manager Martin Jol coached Petric was they were both at Hamburg in the Bundesliga. Last season, Petric scored 5 goals in 10 starts for Fulham.
Petric told the West Ham United club website:
“I’m very happy, excited and looking forward to training with the team and to the first game. I know [the Premier League] and I’m happy to be back in the Premier League, because it’s a fantastic league and I’m really looking forward to being part of this team and this Club.
“There are a lot of good players here and I’m happy to be part of such a good team and I hope we can all celebrate my first goal for West Ham as soon as possible.
“I didn’t speak to Sam [Allardyce] until today but I’ve heard a lot about him and I spoke to Guy Demel, who I know from my time at Hamburg and I’m sure I’ll have a good time here.
“I remember playing at West Ham last year and it was a very tough game for us at Fulham. I think we lost 3-0! It’s not easy to come here [as the away side] and take points away.”
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- West Ham United sign Mladen Petric on free transfer to solve striker crisis — West Ham United
- Old Trafford road to be named after former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson — The Star
- Is Glen Johnson’s injury a small blessing in disguise for Liverpool? — Soccerlens
- Newcastle offer Hatem Ben Arfa new contract to ward off Liverpool interest — Metro
- Manchester United wait on Phil Jones’s fitness for Crystal Palace game — The Guardian
- Police step up security for Manchester derby in bid to prevent disorder of last season — Telegraph
- Everton welcome back David Unsworth as new under-21 assistant manager — Liverpool Echo
- Premier League release record-breaking season ticket sales figures — Metro
- The disappearing Shinji Kagawa — ESPN FC
- Sheffield Wednesday eye loan move for England U21’s and Stoke’s Jack Butland — The Mail
- European leagues tell FIFA not to rush 2022 World Cup decision — Sky Sports
- Gianluigi Buffon: from depression to Italy’s record books — The Guardian
- European clubs set to agree on winter switch for 2022 World Cup — Sky Sports
- Just like Spain, I truly believe England will come good — Evening Standard
- Roy Hodgson compares England World Cup qualifier against Ukraine to ‘cup final’ — The Guardian
- Robert Lewandowski returns to Dortmund early after injury — Borussia Dortmund
- Chelsea’s Ramires asks Dante to apologise to Bayern’s Mario Gotze for Super Cup injury — ITV
- Serie A wages at lowest level since 2009 — ESPN FC
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.