WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 3: Open Thread

nbc epl Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 3: Open Thread

A new weekend in the Premier League is upon us, and right before an international break, so savor every moment of this weekend’s coverage.

The coverage begins at 7am ET on NBC Sports Network with Manchester City against Hull City (kick-off at 7:45am ET) followed by Cardiff City versus Everton (at 10am ET on NBC Sports Network).

Plus there are several other matches on Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extra. For the complete schedule, go to our TV guide.

Before, during or after today’s matches, post your thoughts, questions and observations in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, NBC. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 3: Open Thread

1. Flyvanescence says:

Youd think with all our talented midfielders we wouldnt have to start 2 strikers. Another struggle to break down a parked bus is a scary prospect especially with Kolarov and Lescott back there and Joe Hart in goal.

2. Pete Q says:

I actually fit a 7-mile run in before this marathon of footy on NBC. I’ve officially hit my stride….mid-season form.

Saturday mornings were made for the BPL on NBC!

3. Guy says:

Up at 6:45 to watch Lowe & Co., something I never used to do. Damn you, NBC!

Maybe a little overly ad-packed, but I guess that’s the price we pay.

4. Pete Q says:

OMG! What a chance! Just go around Hart!!! OH MY!!!

5. Guy says:

Early yet, but if City don’t tighten up Hull could put more than one in the back of the net.

6. Flyvanescence says:

Color analyst is great

7. jtm371 says:

navas is fast becoming the drama Queen of the EPL his act is getting a little old.grow up

8. Flyvanescence says:

Kyle Martino with some riveting analysis?
    Wow didnt see that coming.

9. Smokey Bacon says:

Taxi to Manchester airport for Pellegrini after the game?

10. jtm371 says:

last match and this first half shows how important V Kompany is to City.

11. IanCransonsKnees says:

I’ll take a 0-0 bore draw today at the Boleyn Ground. I thought the tippy-tippy crap on display for 45 minutes last week wasn’t worth the entry fee. Rolling it out from the keeper and passing it across the back 4 for 5 minutes isn’t entertainment.

I expect an away defeat despite our electrifying away strip. A draw would be a nice surprise, whilst a win would be positively orgasmic.

12. jtm371 says:

Hull deserved better played damn good did not pack it in took the match to City.

13. Tony says:

Still no Time Warner cable access to NBC live Extra (week 3)

• Guy says:

Tony….if you have the TWC app all the ET matches are available through it. I’m watching the Stoke match right now.

• Guy says:

Which reminds me, I have 3 ET regular matches on my cable box. Don’t need the app today. Duh.

• Tony says:

I do have that and I have my HD TV playing one game and I have three ipads set up for the other games. but in a couple of weeks I will be out of town for about three weeks and I will lose my TWC app as it does not work unless your home

• jennifer says:

The twc app has been our only option, too. It works, but sadly twc app doesn’t support hdmi so we cannot connect phone/tablets to the telly. Watching via tab is better than nothing, but frustrating as we’re frequent hdmi streamers. Apparently Roku supports the app so may have to buy one of those.

14. IanCransonsKnees says:

Old man Andy Reid again jtm – can they do it again?

15. Leo says:

They really need a feature to turn off the scores in the upper right of the screen. This is absolutely horrible!

• Guy says:

Watch an Extra Time match and record the NBCSN one. No scores on the ET screens. :-)

• Leo says:

But still….they really should on only show them intermittently and give us a warning when they do.

• David says:

I completely agree. I simply don’t understand NBC’s philosophy. Why force us to watch the Extra Time matches BEFORE we watch them on the main channel. It destroys the enjoyment. On the West Coast we have no choice but to watch recordings since every Sat starts in the middle of the night. Putting the scores in the top right corner serves no useful purpose other than forcing people not to watch the live event.

16. Guy says:

Stoke bossing the match. Need to make it pay off.

17. Guy says:

Well, that’s two straight matches with no card for Charlie Adam. Strange days indeed.

18. Guy says:

Now, don’t go to sleep Stoke!

19. Wongo1 says:

For all those lovers of Roberto Martinez I hope you have been watching Everton, they look very poor and it is making Moyes look like a frigging magician having been able to do what he did with that team.

Martinez with this Spanish pass until your legs fall off and then do squat in the final third is crap.

20. IanCransonsKnees says:

GTFI Stoke! Fantastic 3 points away at West Ham, who hadn’t conceded yet this season. I listened to it on Talksport and ‘The Moose’ (a more rabid and biased hammer you’d struggle to find) was raving about Stoke’s play. What did you make of it Guy?

Special mention for Smokey who’s Milwall were playing rugby at the Amex Arena against Brighton. They haven’t won all season and were 0-1 up, Brighton equalised with a try on the 89th minute and broke the Lions hearts.

21. Guy says:

I’m going to disagree with my friend ICK. I far prefer to see this Stoke than last year’s version. Yes, it can be frustrating to see it take 10 passes to get the ball across midfield, but the end result is that we look far more intent about trying to score.

Our numbers for Crosses, Corners and Shots are far better than before. Better finishing is certainly needed, but you have to start somewhere. Jones looked a horse today and Pennant has certainly earned more minutes. And, finally, our fans who travelled away must be thrilled to see us actually play to win a match. We were never even looking for the bus.

Not that we’re going to scare the top clubs that much, but we look a far different team than last year. We can only get better as the players get more comfortable with the new system……..Sorry about the rant. ;-)

Go arrrrrrrrnnn STOKE! :-)

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I was much happier with the second half performance against Palace, the first (with all the rolling out and tapping it around was dross). I presume today saw more of the second half style that saw us succeed last week?

Nzonzi MOM? A few on The Oatcake are bigging up Geoff Cameron today. He seems to be Hughes’ first choice RB.

• Guy says:

Yeah, Nzonzi looked much more involved (Did I see him make a bunch of forward passes today?) and Cameron has to be a lock at RB. Pieters’ crosses were crap, but at least he looks comfortable defensively.

22. Americano & Proud says:

No Jozy Altidore for Sunderland. However, Steven Fletcher is available off the bench. Let’s see how this develops.

23. Matt says:

And now we are about to witness the downside of showing matches on network tv…

• John G. says:

The POTUS is throwing his weight around, trying to get the public to support him rather than Congress, which clearly does not wish to act.

He won’t let anything get in his way… including real football.

• John G. says:

Live Extra on Web and mobile devices still have the game. They should have put something on the bottom of the screen telling viewers where to turn.

• Matt says:

It makes me love that service more. NBC didn’t do anything wrong, and almost everyone has the app. That’s where I continued my viewing

24. rej4sl says:

Our NBC has just taken off the football for a special News Report … hmm

• Shane says:

Same here. Isn’t there a load of news channels for this. At least you didn’t get this nonsense on FSC.

• Scrumper says:

Reminded me of the bad old days when a network put on the odd World Cup game and broke away for adverts, always returning with those terrible words:

“while you were away”

thanks for interrupting a great game NBC.

25. Huw Roma says:

Typical. I wonder if they would interrupt an NFL game for this. They could at least put it on NBCSN in the meantime. I’m sure the car auction show watchers won’t mind.

• rej4sl says:

No scroll on the bottom, no indication when or if the game will be back on. No putting the game on another channel.

This is what is going to happen to network games here – as our weather gets bad in winter – so now we know.

• Guy says:

The dreaded weather alert. The Weather Channel and all its local copycats have managed to traumatize an entire nation. Snow in Minnesota? Wind on the North Carolina coast? OMG!! “This is a special alert from Weather Wizard 1! Regular programming has been suspended for the foreseeable future.” ;-)

• Huw Roma says:

Also notice how none of the other major networks cut into what they are showing too.

• Jeff says:

Actually NBC did interrupt a broadcast of Sunday Night Football last season to show President Obama making remarks following the tragic Sandy Hook shootings. In that example, NBCSN and CNBC aired SNF until NBC rejoined the coverage following the president’s remarks.

Speaking about today’s case, NBC made the right call in showing the President’s press conference due to the important situation regarding Syria. Having all games available through the NBC Sports Live Extra app proves it’s worth in cases like this (if it was promoted correctly before the interruption). Although they should have at least had the game on CNBC (NBCSN had live car auction commitments) for those who wanted to watch the game on TV. It’s not like CNBC is airing anything important (non-stop block of infomercials).

26. Americano & Proud says:

Only missed the first two minutes, could have been worse… Fletcher is on now.

27. Alex Riley says:

1-1 anddddddd we’re missing it. Thanks NBC

28. Huw Roma says:

Why cant they put it back on NBCSN????? Who cares about a pre taped car auction????

29. gargoyle says:

Pretty monumental day for televised soccer in America when you have a two non marquee teams (CP and Sun) live on network TV (Boston).

Gotta say I am ecstatic over NBC coverage.

30. IanCransonsKnees says:

Sunderland making the same mistake they did under Bruce, sign 11 players and expect them to gel immediately. Add PDC to the mix and allow to simmer.

Obviously having numerous vowels in his name and dressing sharply will only get PDC so far.

31. Scrumper says:

Palace v Sunderland a great game to watch.

Holloway and Di Canio great entertainment to watch.

Not sure which I enjoyed the most.

32. rory says:

Paolo still out in front in the EPL sack race, but Martin Jol might be giving him a run

• Reagan says:

Martin Jol should give him a race. Good god they look horrible going forward. Like they have no plan or clue how to manage. I may end up watching more Norwich just to avoid the dross that is quickly becoming Fulham. Thank god Crystal Palace was fantastic because the rest of the day sucked.

33. Eplnfl says:

Interesting to find out the ratings for the NBC game today. Will say a lot about public interest since college football was in full swing today.