Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers Lines Up Move for Goalkeeper Shay Given: Nightly Soccer Report
Liverpool are closing in on a deal to sign Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given as a backup to Simon Mignolet at Anfield.
Given, who continues to be on the bench at Villa after American goalkeeper Brad Guzan occupies the starting spot, may move to Merseyside. The Irish goalkeeper is still one of the highest wage earners at Villa Park, and has three years remaining on his contract. The 37-year-old goalkeeper previously starred at Manchester City and Newcastle.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers sees Given as a more experienced back-up than Brad Jones.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers lines up move for goalkeeper Shay Given — The Guardian
- Everton FC still hopeful of completing Gareth Barry deal — Liverpool Echo
- Stéphane Sessègnon dropped from Sunderland squad to face Crystal Palace — The Guardian
- Rafa Benitez: Man City are my team to watch this season, their Spanish signings are so exciting — Independent
- José Mourinho irked by Pep Guardiola rivalry before European Super Cup — The Guardian
- Scott Sinclair admits to enduring ‘nightmare’ under Roberto Mancini at Manchester City — Telegraph
- Tottenham have dragged feet on Gareth Bale deal, Real Madrid VP says — The Guardian
- Michael Laudrup urges Swansea City to get sharper in European adventure — Wales Online
- United make €30m bid for Spanish midfielder, according to Thiago source — The Busby Babe
Major League Soccer
- Two people arrested in California after spring attack on Timbers fan — Pro Soccer Talk
- AZ Alkmaar match abandoned after fire — BBC Sport
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.