Arsenal Announce Signing of Mathieu Flamini As Free Agent to Shore Up Midfield: Daily Soccer Report
Arsenal have announced the signing of Mathieu Flamini as a defensive midfielder to shore up the holes and injuries that have riddled the club in previous weeks.
Flamini returns to the club as a free agent, where he helped the Gunners win the FA Cup in 2005.
“We’re very pleased Mathieu has agreed to re-join us,” Arsène Wenger said. “He is a player of real quality, with a fantastic work rate and great mentality. As we know, Mathieu is a strong midfielder, but is also is comfortable playing in defense too. He is a very good addition to our squad.”
The French midfielder will be an excellent fit in midfield for the Gunners to give the club more steel in midfield where they’ve been lacking. While Flamini isn’t a big splash in the transfer market, Arsenal have picked up a type of player that they desperately need.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Arsenal announce signing of Mathieu Flamini as free agent — Arsenal FC
- Lukas Podolski may be out for up to 10 weeks with hamstring injury — The Guardian
- Paolo Di Canio keen to pair Steven Fletcher and Jozy Altidore up front — Newcastle Chronicle
- Tottenham turn to Fabio Coentrao and Alvaro Vadillo as spending spree continues — Evening Standard
- Tottenham targeting £8million move for Alvaro Vadillo – the new Cristiano Ronaldo — The Mail
- PFA chief Gordon Taylor fights for job over £100,000 betting debt — The Independent
- Gordon Taylor’s job ‘not at risk’ according to PFA source, despite gambling allegations — Telegraph
- Real Madrid will announce Gareth Bale transfer once Spurs complete Eriksen deal — 101GG
- Liverpool to honour Bill Shankly landmark against Manchester United — ESPN FC
- Cardiff City striker Andreas Cornelius to miss Everton clash but should be back soon — Wales Online
- Liverpool agree €7m deal with Sporting for Tiago Ilori — Soccerlens
- Kolo Toure has been showing what is expected of all Liverpool players — Empire Of The Kop
- Alvaro Vazquez can go to Swansea for £2.5million — Marca
- Laudrup, about Álvaro Vázquez: “He’s a young player and different” — AS
- Erik Lamela’s skills will endear him to Tottenham fans who love a dribbler — The Guardian
- Ricardo Vaz Te hands in transfer request at West Ham — Sky Sports
- Mathieu Flamini to re-sign for Arsenal on two-year deal — The Independent
- Manchester City training switch to Etihad can help players feel at home — The Guardian
- Greeks revamp league system in bid for TV cash — Inside World Football
- Coventry fans demonstrate outside Sisu offices — The Political Economy Of Football
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.