Samuel Eto’o is set to rekindle his relationship with Jose Mourinho as Chelsea are close to signing a £7million per year deal for the Cameroon striker.
Mourinho has managed Eto’o at Inter Milan where they won the UEFA Champions League in 2010. Eto’o is expected to have his medical on Thursday before signing a one-year contract with the Stamford Bridge club.
The acquisition of Eto’o is seen as a confirmation that Chelsea have given up hope of signing Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Samuel Eto’o to rekindle relationship with José Mourinho at Chelsea — The Guardian
- Tottenham want Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez — The Mirror
- Roberto Martínez denies Leighton Baines has asked to leave Everton — The Guardian
- Manchester United transfers: Everton offered Fellaini/Baines package of £38million — The Mirror
- Liverpool and Manchester United’s 1968 meeting marked the sea change — The Guardian
- Cardiff in talks with Ecuador winger Jefferson Montero — Sky Sports
- Suarez’s return for Liverpool from a 10-match ban will be against Manc United in League Cup — Telegraph
- Soccer fan breaches Cardiff City Stadium security and takes photos of Man City locker room — Wales Online
- Chelsea to sign Samuel Eto’o on £7million-a-year deal — The Mail
- West Ham United close in on Roger Rojas loan capture — Haringey Independent
- Vlad Chiriches Tottenham transfer: defender arrives at Heathrow airport — The Mail
- NBC Sports’ Premier League coverage is really damn good — Deadspin
- ESPN provides peek at new digital facility — Sports Video Group
- ESPNews and ESPN Deportes are now streaming on Apple TV — The Verge
- Michael Laudrup hints at frustration with Wales over Ashley Williams injury — Wales Online
- Tottenham agree €11m fee for Ajax’s Christian Eriksen, deal to be done in 24 hours — 101GG
- Andre Villas-Boas hits out at Roy Hodgson over Andros Townsend — The Telegraph
- Gareth Bale: from spindly, alice band-wearing softie to Real Madrid — The Guardian
Major League Soccer
- Legia Warsaw fans protest UEFA sanctions with intense display — FOX Soccer
- Neil Lennon lauds Celtic’s dramatic win as ‘my greatest achievement’ — The Guardian
- The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be held in November — Big Soccer
Capital One Cup
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.