WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

FOX Sports 1 Makes a Disappointing UEFA Champions League Debut

fox sports 1 600x290 FOX Sports 1 Makes a Disappointing UEFA Champions League Debut

FOX Sports 1 made its soccer debut this week with two live UEFA Champions League matches on the new sports network.

On Tuesday, during the live broadcast of PSV Eindhoven against AC Milan, the FOX Sports 1 ticker that ran across the bottom of the screen during the game didn’t report any soccer scores from the other matches.

However, during FS1′s Wednesday broadcast of Fenerbahce versus Arsenal, the ticker not only reported scores from all of the UEFA Champions League fixtures, but it also displayed updates of NBCSN’s concurrent live broadcast of Chelsea vs Aston Villa match. By doing so, it ruined the experience for any soccer fans hoping to watch the other games on DVR later that day.

Is Fox Sports 1 going to make a habit out of only reporting soccer scores on their ticker while a competing network has a concurrent live soccer broadcast? Plus, can FOX Sports 1 do something about their obnoxiously large ticker that always runs across the bottom of the screen (even during commercial breaks)? It also includes a totally blank blue bar that’s approximately one inch tall that spans the entire width of the screen. A significant portion of the frame is completely blocked. Presumably, the space is being saved for sponsors to purchase the ad unit for future broadcasts of sports events including soccer.

Is the crawl at the bottom of the screen something we can expect to see from FOX Sports on all UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, FA Cup and World Cup 2018-22 games?

fox sports 1 ticker 600x336 FOX Sports 1 Makes a Disappointing UEFA Champions League Debut

What’s your opinion about FOX Sports 1′s coverage of the UEFA Champions League this week? Share your opinion below.

And if you want to see what FUN the FOX Soccer Daily crew have been up to, you’ve got to watch this video:

This entry was posted in FOX Sports 1, Leagues: Champions League. Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to FOX Sports 1 Makes a Disappointing UEFA Champions League Debut

1. Thebennyp says:

Was there any reason why there wasn’t any coverage of the Europa league games today? I couldn’t find anything on any of the fox channels and nothing on the directv channels that usually show games.

• Christopher Harris says:

Yes, that was disappointing. FOX doesn’t have the rights until the group stages of the tournament, and no TV network picked up the play-off games unfortunately.

• zach says:

Why? I can’t imagine they’d be prohibitively expensive. Unless they are…

• MG says:

In terms of American television, Europa League group stage and beyond is important enough. Europa League playoffs? Not quite.

Champions League playoffs, important enough.

2. FreddyFreak says:

I saw the Arsenal match at a pub and looking at the FOX broadcast next to the NBC broadcast, it is a whole different experience. The FOX experience felt like I was watching an NFL. Then the audio feed had difficulties and it was a complete disaster.

• Jonathan says:

Yeah, those audio difficulties were made worse by the in-studio “announcing” that was substituted while they addressed the problem. Their calls were akin to a very weak cup of tea.

3. goatslookshifty says:

Fox Sports 1 will be my last resort channel to watch footy. More often than not, there’ll always be a game on concurrently so why bother being distracted with pointless stats, comments and gossip. It bewilders me how a channel can air something but simultaneously distract the viewer from enjoying it and/or encourage them to watch something else. Pathetic.

4. Phrenetic says:

I’m no fan of FOX in general but the notion that scores shouldn’t be advertised because fans DVR other games seems bizarre. I seem to recall reading somewhere that showing updated scores is even done on British telecasts. I could be wrong. But why is this an issue that only comes up with soccer?

• goatslookshifty says:

Score updates were tolerable when ESPN dropped them during games but the constant ticker Fox are running is undeniably distracting. I doubt BBC or Sky run field hockey scores or pointless quotes and stats while Champions League games are on.

• Matt says:

I agree with Phrenetic. I’ve never heard another sports community complain about a ticker as much as footy fans do. Fox Sports 1′s new ticker is definitely way too large and colorful, so I concede that. They should definitely model theirs after NBC’s or ESPN’s.

I’ve honestly never been distracted by a ticker during a game unless I make the concerted effort to look at the bottom of the screen when the ball is out for a throw in or something.

I certainly understand the anti-ticker sentiment from people who prefer to watch DVR’d matches afterwards. I’m not one of those people, but I’d rather not negatively impact someone else’s experience, especially when the ticker adds basically no value to the broadcast.

• TiLoBrown says:

I’m with you on this one. Maybe its because I cant bring myself to watch any sport that isnt shown live. Showing the scores doesnt bother me, however a constant ticker at the bottom? That I hate. It doesnt distract me or anything, it just seems like the network is telling you there are other more important events than the match/game we’re covering right now.

5. al says:

Jesus, guys. It was their first day! It takes networks weeks and sometimes months to get it right. And just like the rest of the sports networks, they’ll eventually work out the bugs. Chill out.

• goatslookshifty says:

Fox Sports 1 is obviously following the mold of ESPN and they have no problem running the ticker during high profile games like US internationals so I don’t think the ticker is a “bug” to be worked out, it’s going to be the norm.
      …and dude, I’m chilled.

• Dry Martini says:

Doubtful. They’re in love with screencrawl and ticker crap. It’s also why Sky Sports News was unwatchable. Hate extraneous garbage clutter.

• goatslookshifty says:

My eyes were focused on Millie, Georgie and those other Sky Sports hotties, my friend. They were the only distraction for me :)

• cnl. onions says:

Dude, Fox went with Rob Stone for >1 year…they don’t fix things that need correcting.

• velija says:

Im pretty sure it wasnt Foxs first day of showing Champions League, the only way this excuse works is the first week they showed the Champions League, not years later. Even though it may say Fox Sports 1 on the banner it is still the same coverage as FSC so its not like they didnt have time to get the sh*t together. The best part was FSC had games on too and they didnt have a ticker running

• lay says:

Its the worst channel ever is mostly NFL it shoot

• TiLoBrown says:

Except that OTA Fox also has a running ticker at the bottom of their MLB games too. So its their business model. It has nothing to do with it being “their first week” its just how its done at Fox.

6. Joey says:

Do people not read Twitter while watching live games? I don’t have a problem with scores but the size of the ticker is atrocious.

7. AJ says:

The Europa League thing is a joke since they just replayed the Champions League games all day.

I have to be honest, I watched the Chelsea/Villa match because I knew the broadcast in general would be more enjoyable.

Like I’ve been saying with my new working moto for World Cup 2018:

World Cup 2018, the month FOX killed soccer.

Nobody and nothing about the way they do soccer at FOX is respectful to the game and I’d rather not have anybody who currently works at FOX Soccer around in 2018.

8. Shyvoodoo says:

At first i started to watch the champions league game UNTIL they flashed the Chelsea score at the start of the game.. Right then and there, i watched the villa-chelski game first.. How disrespectful?!? Its like they are mad that they dont have the EPL anymore… NBC did not show NOT ONE champions league score during their telecast.. Like someone else said, why the hell do i care about BREAKING NEWS: RGIII DID NOT PRACTICE TODAY going across my screen ever two minutes, IM TRYING TO WATCH THE SOCCER GAME!! I just think Fox is just being obnoxious because 1: we did not like them shoving SCREAMING GUS down our throats and 2: Happy they lost the EPL.. Another thing, some people on here like myself DVR a lot of games every week, from rugby to soccer, so the last thing we want to see is scores of games in progress hell i want to watch it later thats why i dont sit through halftimes.. Just turn the TV off and come back in 15 minutes…

9. pmac says:

I get that the ticker is huge and ugly during a game. But complaining because you saw the score of a game you wanted to dvr and watch later, get out of here with that nonsense. If they had that line of thinking for the one game you were watching they would have to apply that for everyone and all games. Not going to happen, especially not in a 24-7 news world where things are all over the tv, social media and internet within seconds.

10. Smokey Bacon says:

The reason the screen is filled with crap is to distract the viewers from realizing just how boring most American sports are. It always amazes how this complaint is leveled at football by the haters. Yet most American sports when you take away the stats, constant advertising etc are mind numbingly dull.

Btw,I could not make it to the end of the video either. Embarrassing.

• TiLoBrown says:

Or it could say something about you if any of the other on screen stuff actually distracts you. I’m able to watch any sport on TV without getting distracted by anything I dont feel like paying attention to

• Christopher Harris says:

I believe the big difference here is between (1) Americans who have been conditioned to watching traditional American sports on television where a ticker across the bottom is always a constant versus (2) soccer fans who have been used to years (or decades) of soccer games being uninterrupted by tickers.

• TiLoBrown says:

That could be a difference. But to say Americans are fine with it because our sports are “boring” so we need the distraction is a BS statement. Like I said, a ticker at the bottom of the screen has never distracted me from anything.

• zach says:

I think a major difference is soccer is a fluid game with fields the size of NFL fields. There is so much to see at any given time, a through pass to the bottom of the screen or long ball to a corner where the ticker at the bottom makes then squeeze the telecast into a smaller area does subtract from the game.

The NFL has a fixed width and can only go in one direction.

Baseball is also fixed in batters or pitchers and is segmented per at bat.

NBA is pretty fluid but after every basket there are small stoppages and the ball is stuck in half the court per play.

NHL can be fluid or real choppy on a per game basis with the direction of the play switching rapidly but their ice rinks are tiny.

Nothing comes close to matching the fluidity of a soccer game combined with the size of a pitch.

TL;DR The ticker doesn’t add value to the game. That is why I’d like to see the ticker removed.

11. Steven P. says:

Did anyone expect anything better from Fox? It’s Fox for crying out loud!

12. sicariis says:

Does anyone know if FoxSoccer2Go has the same presentation? I’m considering a subscription now that I’ve cut the cord and its currently in a price freeze. Though if the broadcast is plagued by large tickers and wasted space, I’ll go without.

• bennett311 says:

FoxSoccer2Go matches for UEFA Champions league don’t have the ticker. In fact Fox doesn’t overlay anything including the score and match time. It’s a little weird to get used to, but it’s fine.

$130 is still alot to pay since they don’t have EPL rights, it’s possible the price may dip even more when the group stage just gets ready to start.

• sicariis says:

Their site currently shows a crossed out price of $170 a year, which would be outrageous for just Champions, Eurpoa, and FA Cup. I just know for the weeks that EPL is on break for other competitions, I’ll be itching for some action.

• Jersey says:

I’m a rugby fan too so to me its worth it since I get a lot out of it, but otherwise it would definitely be hard to justify that price. Fox is like the Comcast of sports broadcasting, they’re just so ridiculous.

• Jersey says:

Of course I realize Comcast also has their own sports channels…thinking more of Comcast the cable company than Comcast the content creators. Anyway.

13. goatslookshifty says:

As much as the FOX ticker annoys, I’d rather have that then the commentators blurting out scores randomly during the game. The day I hear Gus do that…

14. Pete Q says:

I am using an “alternative” viewing option for Champions League matches. I have lost all patience with Fox.

I took a look at the Milan match and couldn’t believe how busy the screen was during the match.

Fox just continues to make bad decisions.

But they’ve shown in the past that they’re not concerned with what their viewers think. So they will not have my viewership.

15. brn442 says:

I’m not sure why Fox would be obligated to NOT show scores of a match from a totally different competition that’s being shown on another network.

If you are a hardcore Villa/Chelsea fan, then an Arsenal/Fenebache CL qualifier, should not be the match you are watching on a weekday afternoon.

There was a time when the non ticker argument was justified, as many matches were on tape delay, often shown on the same channel.

This season, Americans will have more choice than ever in seeing their favorite team live. It’s time they take full advantage of that fact.

• Christopher Harris says:

True, but what if you want to watch Chelsea/Aston Villa equally as much as Fenerbahce/Arsenal? By FOX sharing the scoreline in the ticker, it encourages viewers to watch the NBC broadcast first and then, if they have time, watch the FOX Sports broadcast. Having the ticker ultimately hurts FOX Sports 1.

• Brn442 says:

Hmm, I think we, as avid soccer fans forget that we may not all and end all demographic anymore.

The average watcher of the Arsenal/Fenebache match is more likely to be interested in getting an update than DVRing Villa/Chelsea match for later consumption.

• Christopher Harris says:

Is a casual sports fan seriously going to watch Fenerbahce vs Arsenal? I don’t think so. While we’re not their target audience, they’re losing soccer viewers who will turn to alternate means to find a different version of game without tickers.

16. droch9922 says:

Annoying ticker and announcers, but FOX’s HD picture quality much better than NBC. Any reason why??

17. Matt says:

I had all 4 Champions League playoff matches on TV (the Celtic game was an early kickoff) and the Arsenal-Fenerbahce match was not the most interesting of the bunch to be honest. Instead was watching Schalke-PAOK which will be a much more interesting fixture in the return leg as well.

I have complained about this many times, but FOX needs to show meaningful games, even if it doesn’t involve an English team. They better not show me in a few months Chelsea vs. Copenhagen when there are better matchups on the same day just because Chelsea will get a decent rating

If that’s the case again, as it has been with FOX last few years, I simply stream that match I want to see…and its not “edge of your seat” Manchester United vs. CFR Cluj

18. Huw Roma says:

I watched the CL games on ESPN Deportes and there was no ticker. I can live with the Spanish commentary just to have that luxury.

19. Huw Roma says:

When does FSC officially cease? How many times can they repeat ‘Being Liverpool’ and ‘My Beautiful Game’ interspersed with pathetic repeats of Champions League matches from 2011?

• Christopher Harris says:

FOX will pull the plug on FOX Soccer on September 2. Until then, they’re just running reruns.

• rkujay says:

Think of the poor ones who pay $15 per month for fox sucker plus to watch replays of the Let’s make up a cup cup. That insanity stopped here the last day of last EPL season.

20. gillyrosh says:

Haven’t seen any UCL matches they’ve broadcast, but I’m still perplexed about Fox Soccer Daily. It’s not on every day, so the name of the show seems like false advertising to me!

21. Phrenetic says:

Which other network does not show scores during games? MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA all have multiple games going on at the same time at some point or another and nobody ever complains about tickers or score updates because they have two other games DVRed. It makes absolutely no sense that soccer fans (which I am) would feel entitled to this luxury.

• Christopher Harris says:

The viewing habits of soccer viewers are far different than those fans who watch traditional American sports. Comparing it to the NBA, MLB, NFL and other leagues, is not apples to apples.

• Phrenetic says:

Understood but those viewing habits are becoming increasingly untenable in the Twitter-age and I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect networks not to broadcast scores.

• Christopher Harris says:

I disagree. Not everyone is on Twitter. And even if any individual is on Twitter, it’s easy to put it aside for a few hours in order to consume the game to avoid spoilers.

The issue isn’t the ticker per se. It’s whether a game should give spoilers of what’s happening in other matches. Traditional American sports fan are used to that, but soccer fans are not.

• goatslookshifty says:

I’d make the argument that footy is a full attention sport (non-stop, unpredictable) whereas MLB, NFL can be watched passively. Therefore the ticker, to me, simply distracts from the my full attention from the game.

• Chris says:

Here is my two cents. The ticker design and position on the screen is TERRIBLE. It blocked all the action on the sideline closest to the bottom of the screen. As if it weren’t bad enough that I was trying to avoid looking at it so that I wouldn’t see other matches recorded, now I can’t see the damn ball.

Additionally, as others have mentioned, I love the sport. I will watch as much as I can. Yesterday with multiple UCL matches on, the Madrid game was broadcast at a later time (i.e. not live). All okay with DVR but then the stupid ticker at the bottom of the screen displayed all the UCL scores including the match that was 5:00 in.

Can’t everyone blow up their twitter to stop this madness!

22. Proud Eurosnob says:

There should be restrictions on using the ticker. One, use the ticker only during studio shows and adverts. Two, use only for headlines, player updates and not scores. Three, make it easy on the eyes.

The hideous light-on-dark-blue Fox Sports ticker could not only distract from the game, it would make itself the focus after a couple of minutes.

Honestly, in the age where one could have access to scores and the like pretty much at the whim, the tickers are no longer justified in any case.

Just for all that, I hope NBC will score the the Champions League rights for the next cycle and beyond – not just so I could avoid looking at the blue ticker, but to avoid the production quality that amounts to nothing more than amateur hour.

/rant

23. MG says:

Disappointing? It isn’t even group stage yet.. haha. Come on now. No one should judge viewership on playoffs. Let it simmer.

24. Kris says:

I literally rip out three magazine pages – cut them about two inches high – tape together to make a nice long rectangle – then put tape on the ends – tape it to my tv to cover up that insanely annoying ticker. Also have a little magazine square cut-out for the top right corner of the NBC broadcasts because of their annoying score ticker as well. That way I have *zero chance* of having my games ruined by these broadcasts insisting on showing us scores to other games in progress at the same time.

TICKERS ARE IDIOTIC.

There are a billion shows that will get you those scores eventually. WWHHYY must we be bombarded with them as they happen in real time?? What good does that do us but simply ruin the outcome if we were planning to watch it later. There are zero positives for a ticker. Can anyone give me one good reason why they should be there?

I am an American watching English footy. I am a NEUTRAL. I simply love footy, and love watching every single game I can get my hands on. I don’t simply live to watch one team, I live to watch them all.

Hence the (my) reason score tickers drive me crazy.

My magazine trick does the job. Annoying, but reliable in blocking the ticker. Can’t see the players feet sometimes, but hey, better than nothing.

Die tickers. Die.

:) :P

25. Steven P. says:

Do they use tickers in England/Europe? Anyone know the answer?

26. David G says:

During Man City replay yesterday, which was I believe the first time they showed the game on TV, they showed the final score of the game several times.

At least it saved me the time of watching the game.

27. Lance says:

I am at my wits end with the Fox Sports ticker. To the point that I refuse to watch FS games now. I am an ice hockey fan and soccer fan,luckily being from Australia my soccer experience isn’t polluted by tickers, but watching the ice hockey is impossible on Fox Sports. Far too distracting. And being in a different timezone, we timeshift a lot of games, that’s not possible now with spoilers.Get rid of the ticker!!!

28. dsam says:

Eric W. Horrible as a football “soccer” commentator
    Maybe ts not your thing. Too many predictions and never correct..
    Very annoying