Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that he rejected interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid this summer in order to continue his mission at Tottenham Hotspur.
Henry Winter in The Daily Telegraph reports that one of the reasons why Villas-Boas is staying at Spurs was that it was his “first opportunity to start a second year in the same club”.
“I think that can give me an advantage and is something I want to try.
“I have been very welcomed. I have an excellent group of players and the conditions and structures we have at Tottenham are fantastic, and the arrival of Franco Baldini takes us to another level so these are things I had to measure.
“I have great respect for the club and for Daniel (Levy) and these are the reasons the couple of clubs that came knocking I told them that I wasn’t interested.’’
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Andre Villas-Boas rejected interest from PSG and Real Madrid for continuity at White Hart Lane — Telegraph
- The Premier League is back and this time the Americans are watching — The Independent
- Arsène Wenger says lack of Arsenal signings not his fault — The Telegraph
- Wenger moves to placate fans who call for end to era of Arsenal austerity — The Independent
- Rooney named as substitute for Manchester United’s opening Premier League match — Telegraph
- Fox backs down from FS1 asking price in order to get deals with all major carriers — SB Daily
- The sun sets on FOX Soccer – 1997 to 2013 — Forbes
- Data-driven football: Fantasy football manager — The Economist
- Paolo Di Canio bans mobiles, ketchup, mayonnaise, ice in coke and singing — Telegraph
- Premier League is making inroads into American culture — The Guardian
- Jozy Altidore set to start in Sunderland debut — Yahoo Sports
- Arlo White makes the jump to soccer’s big time as NBC Sports debuts its EPL coverage — NY Daily News
- Luis Suarez and the start of the Premier League season — Grantland
- Ian Holloway says he will cut out the jokes ahead of return to Premier League — The Telegraph
- Projecting 2013-14 England’s Premier League final table — Soccermetrics
- Alan Shearer: Too many French players at Newcastle — BBC Sport
- Malky Mackay labels £9.5m signing Gary Medel ‘one of the best in the world’ — Wales Online
- Nigel Adkins to make £3m bid for Stoke City striker Cameron Jerome — The Telegraph
- Ryan Giggs would consider non-Premier management move — BBC Sport
- Premier League: Frankenstein’s monster is a raging success, but not for its FA creators — Independent
- Chelsea eye Jackson Martinez as Blues ditch plans to sign Wayne Rooney — Metro
- Sascha Riether commits to Fulham until 2016 — Sky Sports
- Goodison Park to make debut in FIFA 14 — FIFA Soccer Blog
- Arsenal’s Wellington joins Real Murcia on loan — The Mail
- Real Madrid TV to be offered for free online, report says — TV Sports Markets
- beIN SPORT celebrates one-year anniversary — Sports Video Group
UEFA Champions League
- AS Monaco’s taxing problem explained — SportsPro
Major League Soccer
- Every team in MLS has a designated player for the first time — The Original Winger
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.