Rickie Lambert Describes England Debut as Beyond His ‘Wildest Dreams’: Nightly Soccer Report
After coming on as a substitute on his debut appearance for the England national team, Southampton striker Rickie Lambert scored a brilliant header with his first touch of the ball to defeat Scotland 3-2 at Wembley Stadium today.
It was classic Roy of the Rovers material from Lambert. Only 12 years ago, Lambert was working for £20 a day, putting lids on jars of beetroot in order to try to survive while he was training with Macclesfield.
Based on his performance for England tonight, hopefully England manager Roy Hodgson will give him another cap at the next opportunity.
Here are tonight’s world soccer headlines:
- Rickie Lambert describes England debut as beyond his ‘wildest dreams’ — The Guardian
- England v Scotland Friendly match highlights — FOX Soccer
- Roy Hodgson admits to leaky England defence against Scotland — The Guardian
- Dani Alves own goal hands Switzerland a famous victory over Brazil — The Guardian
- Richard Scudamore: The world likes what English football has to offer — The Guardian
- Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue says he has passed medical at Tottenham — Sky Sports
- Arsenal set to be beaten by Wolfsburg to the signing of Luiz Gustavo — The Guardian
- Hull sign Tottenham’s Huddlestone and Jake Livermore — Hull Daily Mail
- Liverpool seek assurances from Luis Suárez about staying at Anfield — The Guardian
- Arsenal set to make £49million bid for Luis Suarez to finally sign Liverpool striker — Metro
- Ian Wright to front football show on new online TV channel The Sun FC — The Guardian
- Zoltan Gera signs new West Bromwich Albion deal — West Brom
- Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker has not told club he wants to stay — BBC Sport
- Cesc Fabregas remains transfer target for Man United who are ready to bid £40million — Telegraph
- Fox Sports views now as perfect time to launch FS1, FS2 despite inherent risks — Sports Business Daily
- Final Hillsborough pre-inquest set for Liverpool in October — ESPN FC
- Newcastle are in talks with Besiktas midfielder Manuel Fernandes over a £3m move — The Mail
- Craig Bellamy to captain Cardiff City at this weekend’s West Ham match — Wales Online
- Yossi Benayoun in talks with Crystal Palace — The Mail
- Robbie Rogers speaks out on potential U.S. Olympic boycott — Pro Soccer Talk
- RFK access for Roma-Chelsea wasn’t friendly — Washington Post
- A way cool Portland Timbers video; prepare to be impressed — Pro Soccer Talk
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.