THURS, 1PM ET
ZUR
THURS, 3PM ET
MON
APO

Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013-14 Season

top 10 worst soccer shirtsjpg Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

Only a few days remain before the new soccer season begins, so it’s perfect timing to take a look at the new kits that have been released the judge what ones are the worst of the worst.

Here are the 10 worst that I’ve seen for next season:

10. Cardiff City’s Home Shirt. It’s not ugly but…

cardiff city home kit Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

So it’s not enough that the owners changed the colors from blue to red but as you can see above, the club used two different tones of red in the shorts and the shirt.  It’s not so much that it’s ugly but considering how many other prominent teams wear red and wear it well, this design is boring and uninspired.

Thankfully, Cardiff City decided to change the shorts color to something more appealing.

9. A tie between Fenerbahce Home and Stoke City Away Shirt. If the lights go out, will they glow?

fenerbahce home shirt 600x543 Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

It looks like the goal here was to be ‘electrifying’ and, hopefully, with these kits it translates to that same level of play.

8. A tie between AC Milan’s Third Shirt and FC Copenhagen’s Home Shirt.  “I love gooooooold.”

Austin Powers’ Goldmember would love these kits, but few others would.

ac milan third shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

copenhagen shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

While AC Milan’s design is just garish, Copenhagen’s kit looked like it escaped from an 80’s back-up dancer’s closet and he wants it back!

7. Paris Saint-Germain Home Shirt. One just can’t make up their minds on this design.

paris saint germain home shirt1 600x400 Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

This design left many scratching their heads too. It’s another kit that’s not really ugly but it’s not really ‘pretty’ either and one can’t really put their finger on what it is.

6. Manchester United Away Shirt.  So it worked for home, why not do it away?

man united away shirt front1 600x600 Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

When Nike run out of ideas, they flip the colors and that’s exactly what this is.  Last year, red, this year blue.  Many get the idea of a tribute, but this was never a good design idea to begin with.

5. Newcastle United Away Shirt. Look! We are sponsoring this shirt. Can you see us?

newcastle united away shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

It looks like Puma couldn’t figure out which tones of blue they wanted to use so they tossed three different shades on a kit to see what sticks and that’s still not counting the big bright blue Wonga.com logo that sticks out like a sore thumb.

4. Swansea City Away Shirt. Future fool-proof.

swansea city away shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

If Blade Runner actually existed, and there was a footy team, they would wear this…and nobody would watch.

3. Bordeaux Away Shirt.  So cool that even the cool kids wouldn’t wear this.

bordeaux away shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

If this shirt was being sold at retailer Aeropostale, Old Navy or one of those pretentious clothing boutiques that twenty-something kids adore, it works. But this one, as a soccer shirt, fails miserably.

Let’s introduce the last two by wishing that the Warriors didn’t come out to play.

2. Sevilla Home Shirt. Business casual?

sevilla home shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

Look at that stripe and tell yourself that it absolutely does not scream ‘Place Necktie Here’.

1. A tie between Liverpool’s Away and Third Shirts.

liverpool third shirt Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

steven gerrard liverpool away kit new Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013 14 Season

Whoever at Warrior approved these last 2 designs must really hate Liverpool Football Club.  They are ugly, garish and look like something from either a ski shop or a 90’s garbage bin.  Liverpool supporters, we feel for you. But if you get caught wearing these designs, you will walk alone. Kit designers should take note. This is NOT how you design a kit for a team with the traditions of Liverpool FC.

Browse through the new world soccer shirts in the World Soccer Talk shop at www.worldsoccertalk.com/shop

Any other nominations for worst kit designs? Suggest them in the comments section below.

24 Responses to Top 10 Worst Soccer Shirts of the 2013-14 Season

1. Zack says:

No wonder Luis Suarez wants to leave Liverpool.

2. Chris says:

Liverpool’s are awful (and I say that as a fan of the reds), but I’m not sure I’ve seen anything as awful as the Bordeaux shirt. Yikes…looks like it was designed by Tommy Bahama.

3. Sven says:

How long til one of these teams turns to Ed Hardy for a kit design?

4. Habeeb says:

No wonder why papiss cisse wouldn’t like to wear a wonga advertising shirt so that fans wont write their comment on the comment box on the shirt.

5. brn442 says:

Not sure I agree with Manchester United’s away shirt in the list. It’s actually one of the better away shirts this season.

I wish Warrior had also “run out of ideas and flipped colors” with their Liverpool account. The club would have been better off for it.

• Matt says:

I think it’s way better than the previous blue/black strip. I thought the pattern was poor last year, but this is a step up.

6. Ryan M says:

I don’t mind 8,7 & 6.

Embarrassed to call #1 my team’s kit.

• yespage says:

Liverpool’s website had the old ’12-’13 kits on massive clearance (picked up a pair). I think they did that to clear up warehouse space to permanently store these awful things.

• Ryan M says:

Thanks for the heads up. All they have is the Black one in Medium. $15 ain’t bad, but the shipping to me hurts.

7. Josh says:

Seriously, as I’ve said before about my Swans’ away kit, you know you’re in trouble when the sponsorship logo is harder to read than the Chinese characters. Though I actually have no problem with the purple and yellow.

8. yespage says:

Many of these really aren’t that bad. Of course, Liverpool is dreadful. 2, 5-8 aren’t bad at all (and may be a manner of taste).

While Liverpool looks poor, at least they don’t look like U-8 jerseys, like Cardiff’s.

9. hartley says:

I can be all for some change, but the worst part about Cardiff City’s is that they owner is changing the traditional colors and name. They are the bluebirds! They should wear blue.

10. Ryan M says:

…and by the way Cardiff’s is the worst just on lack of thinking. You could argue every other one is ugly, which is opinion, but I’m sure every design professor in the world would fail a student if the damn shorts don’t match the top!

11. CTBlues says:

Hey where is that guy complaining about all those Chinese character ads at Stamford Bridge to complain about the Chinese ad on the Swans kit.

12. Brad says:

nothing wrong with the PSG jersey.

13. Snow says:

You have thirteen shirts in your top ten. Math is hard.

14. Nick says:

On Satuday night, I was at the Chicago Fire game and I always look for those that wear a non-Fire or opponent jersey.

Par for the course are always the big clubs. Saturday night, kid walks through the section with the #8 Liverpool kit…and when I mean Liverpool kit, I mean that white, Space Invaders inspired number. I never thought I would see it in the wild. I was wrong.

15. Jacob says:

I’m an Everton fan, but what’s up with our away kit this year?

16. RG ISHMAEL says:

Akkkkkk included the big teams like Manchester united, Liverpool, AC Milan and PSG.

17. richard trk says:

how is schalke’s atrocious away-kit not on this list?