Tonight’s transfer speculation in the media is a perfect example of why it’s called the silly season. For the past 10 days, there’s been plenty of talk about Bayern Munich’s Luiz Gustavo being interested in moving to the Premier League, with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger expressing an interest. However, there’s nothing concrete there, but The Guardian finally ran a story about it.
Meanwhile, over at The Independent, they’re reporting that Manchester United may be interested in putting in a bid for Gareth Bale. Good luck with that.
On another transfer-related story, Sky Sports is reporting that Luis Suarez has no plans to apologize for his actions to try to force a move out of Liverpool.
What do these stories have in common? Very weak, or no, attribution, which makes it very difficult to discern which of these three stories, if any, have a grain of truth to them. Yes, Arsenal is interested in Luiz Gustavo, but isn’t everyone?
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Manchester United are ready to enter race for Gareth Bale — The Independent
- Luis Suarez has ‘no plans’ to apologise as transfer saga continues — Sky Sports
- Arsenal close to signing Luiz Gustavo and hold out hope for Luis Suárez — The Guardian
- Kevin Doyle is £3million possible buy from Wolves – if he takes 50 per cent wage cut — The Mirror
- Chelsea to offer subsidized travel to their supporters for away trips — Chelsea FC
- Gossip that Arsenal have bid €45m for Karim Benzema starts spreading — 101GG
- David Peace: Why I took on Bill Shankly — The Independent
- Sunderland close to loan deal for Czech Celustka — Sunderland Echo
- Robin van Persie says Manchester United are clear favourites for the Premier League title — The Mail
- What would constitute success for David Moyes at Old Trafford in 2014? — The Guardian
- Premier League isolated further as FA’s Dyke backs Winter 2022 — Inside World Football
- Frank Lampard fit for Chelsea and England after ending tour with goal — The Guardian
- Norwich may speed up approach for Fabio Quagliarella after injury to Gary Hooper — Metro
- Why Real Madrid has to buy Gareth Bale and why Arsene Wenger is wrong — Soccer Report Extra
- Liverpool intercept Napoli for Matri? — Football Italia
- Ashley Young has pulled out of the England squad — The Mail
- Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas set to miss Spain game — ESPN FC
- Chris Coleman looking to sign new Wales deal before end of World Cup 2014 campaign — Wales Online
- Real Madrid-Inter Milan breaks Missouri record for soccer crowd — Sports Business Daily
- Didier Drogba wins Super Cup for Galatasaray — UEFA.com
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.