Cardiff City have broken their club transfer record for the third time this summer after signing Chilean midfielder Gary Medel from Sevilla on a deal that’s over £8million.
While the deal is subject to a work permit, the midfielder has made close to sixty appearances for Chile and played three games at World Cup 2010. The 26-year-old played for Sevilla against Manchester United on Friday.
Here’s what Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay said about Mendel:
“We’re delighted to have secured the services of Gary – a tenacious and intelligent international midfielder.
“He’s played in a number of Boca v River Plate derbies in Argentina – one of the world’s biggest derby matches – and I’ve no doubt that his background and pedigree will complement our midfield group in the Barclays Premier League.”
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Cardiff City break club’s transfer record to sign Chilean midfielder Gary Medel from Sevilla — Cardiff City FC
- Ajax confirm offer for Toby Alderweireld after Tottenham linked with defender — Sky Sports
- Wayne Rooney, Nani and Ashley Young out of Community Shield for Manchester United — Sky Sports
- Gareth Bale’s no-show at Tottenham shrugged off by André Villas-Boas — The Observer
- Gareth Bale unlikely to play against Crystal Palace — Cartilage Free Captain
- If Bale goes to Real Madrid, Spurs will put an offer in for Luis Suarez — A Bola
- Wayne Rooney: Manchester striker ruled out of Community Shield — BBC Sport
- Brendan Rodgers has behaved worse than Luis Suarez this summer — The Mail
- With goal-line technology in place, English FA now wants video replays — The Globe and Mail
- Luis Suarez: Brendan Rodgers tells striker to apologise — BBC Sport
- Tottenham eye double swoop for Ajax pair Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld — The Mirror
- Football history’s paintings (slideshow) — BBC News
- Hull plot Tottenham double raid as Tigers target Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore — The Mirror
- Wayne Rooney and Luis Suarez London moves blocked by US owners — The Mail
- Aaron Ramsey’s glorious assist for Theo Walcott in Arsenal’s win over Man City — 101GG
- Yohan Cabaye linked in transfer rumour with move to Manchester United — Newcastle Chronicle
- Cardiff break transfer record to sign Gary Medel from Sevilla — Sky Sports
- Tune in to the biggest battle of the season as Sky and BT Sport go head to head — The Telegraph
- David Peace: ‘Bill Shankly was a good man, as close to a saint as you could get’ — The Observer
- Manuel Pellegrini acknowledges defensive problems after Arsenal game — Off The Post
- Wayne Rooney wants to stay at Manchester United, claims Robin van Persie — The Independent
- Alan Pardew confirms Loic Remy is out of United’s season opener at Etihad — Newcastle Chronicle
- Everton plotting £15m swoop for James McCarthy if Marouane Fellaini quits for Man United — The Mirror
- Community Shield signals landmark for sport as technology makes its football bow — The Independent
- West Brom want Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair but doubt Salomon Kalou deal — Sky Sports
- Premier League’s global game hits landmark 100th different foreign nationality — Sporting Intelligence
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.