As if Brendan Rodgers didn’t have enough on his plate. Now, his left winger Raheem Sterling will go on trial in September charged with assaulting his girlfriend.
The 18-year-old was arrested last night and spent the night in jail after being charged with common assault. Sterling went to court this morning and pleaded not guilty before being released where he went to Liverpool’s training ground.
While Sterling is a bright hope for both England and Liverpool, this developing story will be a massive disappointment to both Rodgers and Hodgson.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Raheem Sterling to go on trial charged with assaulting girlfriend — The Guardian
- Wayne Rooney has his heart set on Chelsea — ESPN FC
- David Moyes considers move to bring Luka Modric to Manchester United — The Guardian
- Crystal Palace to change Selhurst Park to 12Bet Stadium for Premier League return — The Mail
- Manuel Pellegrini: Manchester City have the best squad in Premier League — The Telegraph
- Spurs want Jese Rodriguez as part of Real Madrid deal for Gareth Bale — 101 Great Goals
- Newcastle move to fend off Cabaye interest with £30million valuation — Sunderland Echo
- Why school paid off for Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany — CNN
- Talksport extends Premier League radio commentaries to European continent — SportsPro
- Three young talents who can make a difference for Chelsea this season — Metro
- Aston Villa need to find £10m to buy Hiroshi Kiyotake — The Mail
- Loic Remy edging closer to playing for Newcastle opener against Manchester City — Newcastle Chronicle
- Nathan Ake signs five-year Chelsea deal — Evening Standard
- Gareth Bale ‘to make £3m a year’ from patenting goal celebration — Yahoo
- Daniel Agger named Reds’ new vice-captain — Liverpool FC
- Real Madrid-Chelsea matchup marks fulfillment of Joe Robbie’s vision — Miami Herald
- Thierry Henry to donate $5k every time he scores for New York Red Bulls — Inside World Soccer
- USMNT, ‘The New York Times Magazine,’ and the greatest photo shoot in history — Grantland
- Jay Spearing joins Bolton Wanderers from Liverpool — The Guardian
- Shaun Derry slams QPR’s overpaid stars — The Mail
- UEFA suspends Armenian officials for Europa League match-fixing attempt — Inside World Football
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.