Fulham have made a £6million offer to try to sign striker Darren Bent from Aston Villa, according to The Daily Mail newspaper today.
The paper reports than an initial £4million offer was turned down last weekend, and that Newcastle’s Director of Football Joe Kinnear is scheduled to meet with Bent’s advisers this week.
If true, the move would be a wise one for Bent and Fulham. The Cottagers need a striker. Dimitar Berbatov has too much weight on his shoulders to be expected to be the main scoring threat for the entire season. And Bent is destined to spend another season on the bench at Villa unless he can find another club. The only loser in the deal is Aston Villa who signed Bent for £24million from Sunderland.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Fulham increase offer for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent — The Mail
- Television access to Premier League dressing rooms ‘unlikely’ — The Guardian
- Tottenham demand €145m from Real Madrid for Gareth Bale — 101 Great Goals
- Tottenham will accept Real Madrid offer for Gareth Bale – if it’s over £80m — The Independent
- Spurs will sell Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for £85million PLUS a player — The Mail
- Cardiff appoint chairman who was at centre of ENRC financial scandal — Inside World Football
- West Ham hope to woo Salomon Kalou after £2.7m fee agreed with Lille — The Guardian
- The Guardian newspaper moves its UK, US and Australian websites to the new .com domain today — TNW
- Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul close to return — Sunderland Echo
- Manchester City midfielder Abdisalam Ibrahim handed free transfer — Sky Sports
- Your quick, neophyte viewer’s guide to Premier League Saturdays — Pro Soccer Talk
- Alexander Kacaniklic a doubt for Fulham’s opener — West London Sport
- “The Arsenal board want to spend. Arsene Wenger doesn’t” [Amy Lawrence audio] — 101GG
- Arsenal shouldn’t embrace Luis Suárez, however desperate we are for success — The Guardian
- Man Utd boss David Moyes slept in his car at France 98 — Off The Post
- Sunderland AFC set to let Lee Cattermole go out on loan — Newcastle Chronicle
- Cardiff owner Vincent Tan turns family’s holiday into the trip of a lifetime — Wales Online
- Celtic considering a £2.5m swoop for Sunderland AFC star James McClean — Newcastle Chronicle
- Liverpool new boy Iago Aspas says pre-season is tougher than in Spain — Off The Post
- David Moyes back in Manchester for talks over Wayne Rooney — The Mail
- Chepo de la Torre will continue being Mexicos head coach — FOX Soccer
- Fabio Capello believes Spain’s reign at the summit of world soccer may be coming to an end — ESPN FC
- Video referee try-out in new football season — Dutch News
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.