Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Nothing Seems to Be Going Well For David Moyes At Manchester United This Summer

david moyes1 Nothing Seems to Be Going Well For David Moyes At Manchester United This Summer

When David Moyes was asked to replace Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager, Moyes knew the demands that came with being in charge of such a high profile club. But his recent comments and actions in the media might have exposed his inexperience in managing such a top club.

With under a month to go until the start of the new Premier League season, Moyes has only recruited Uruguayan full back Guillermo Varela. But it’s not been without a lack of trying.

Thiago Alcantara was a target of Manchester United. Thiago’s father and agent had agreed personal terms with United, but when Pep Guardiola’s Bayern side came calling, his head turned towards Germany and to the European Champions. It seemed the Spaniard saw the lure of playing under Guardiola greater than playing under Moyes.

United acted straight away after losing out on Thiago and submitted a bid for former Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas. The Barcelona midfielder would be a great addition to the United side and is just the kind of player that United are looking for. With Arsenal having first refusal on their former captain, the move to bring the Spanish international to Old Trafford looks a tricky one. Barcelona doesn’t seem keen to sell and a move to United will test Fabregas’ so-called loyalty to Arsenal. But United are working hard on trying to make a deal happen.

A midfielder is what United desperately need. Kevin Strootman of PSV was admired for a long time by former boss Sir Alex. Strootman gave the former boss his word that he would join United this summer, but a change of manager seems to have changed the situation as the Dutchman has joined Roma.

But United are after a marquee signing to mark the start of Moyes’ reign. Moyes is keeping his targets close to his chest except for Fabregas. His targets are said to be fan favorite Cristiano Ronaldo, Tottenham’s star man Gareth Bale and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric.

But Moyes’ comments in the media may affect United’s transfer dealings. After seeing United lose in his first game in charge, Moyes said that United have no limit on their transfer budget. Moyes said:

“Isn’t it great that the club says ‘there’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’.”

These comments may be a mistake. Yes at Everton he worked on a extremely tight budget and it must be a relief to be given an endless budget. But now every club will try to squeeze every million that they can out of United. The likelihood is that United will overspend on most players they’ll buy. And if Moyes doesn’t spend big to get a world class player, then that could upset some United fans as they know they have the money to attract the world’s best.

Trying to bring in players is one thing, but trying to keep hold of them is another. The Wayne Rooney saga looks to be carrying on.

In David Moyes first press conference, he was adamant that Rooney was not for sale, that he was looking sharp and how he planned to get him back to the footballer that everyone wanted him to be.

But after Rooney was sent home early from United’s pre season tour because of injury, Moyes stuck the knife into Rooney. Moyes had said that Rooney is a key part of this United squad, but then came back with this comment just days later:

“Overall my thought on Wayne is, if for any reason we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we’ll need him. Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in behind. It’s going to take time to see how I work with him. Manchester United isn’t about Wayne Rooney, Manchester United is about the team – the club. I won’t allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the team, because that’s the heart of it.”

Moyes is absolutely right with his comments. No player should be bigger than the club. But by making this statement, Rooney has shown his dismay over what Moyes has said.

Rooney is said to be angry and confused with his position at the club. Rooney feels he is at the peak off his career and after nine years at Old Trafford, he has nothing left to prove.

United fans might disagree with that. Rooney was poor last season and van Persie has every right to be the main man at United. Van Persie is a better player than Rooney and his form over the last two years has eclipsed that of Rooney. Van Persie is United’s go-to man, not Rooney.

United have already rejected a bid from Chelsea and a long, drawn-out transfer can be expected.

Moyes needs to stand firm with Rooney. A lot of fans want Rooney gone. He wanted to leave once and he said he made the biggest mistake of his life trying to leave United. So wanting to leave twice is unforgivable and United should look to get rid.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Nothing Seems to Be Going Well For David Moyes At Manchester United This Summer

1. ed says:

Pitiful journalism

• Christopher Harris says:

United supporter?

• Scott says:

Pitiful may be too strong a word but really look at it from a realistic perspective. Most summer transfers seem to take place right as the window opens on deals that were agreed before it opens (before Moyes took over). Then the next wave of activity is close to the deadline. He has been in charge less than a month, if after the transfer window closes nothing gets done then this story is fine.

The next problem is if you read stories today, Thiago has stated that United never even talked to him.

And for the record my favorite team in the BPL is Hull City. My next favorite would be Palace. Yes I am a glutton for punishment but so be it.

• El Chicano says:

A true fan, unlike glory hunting supporters of the Red Devils. Props.

• Taylor says:

Why do you assume Red Devils supporters are glory hunters? Not all of them and every club will have glory hunters. Not just United.
            When did you start watching EPL?

• Guy says:

Taylor, despite what my comment below might imply, I have no real problem with supporters of any club. Fans support clubs for all kinds of reasons.

However, I can assure you that none of us Stoke fans are glory hunters.

Those are mutually exclusive terms. :-)

2. Pete Q says:

Gaffer, I have a ton of respect for you. This site and your efforts have been a great service for me personally.

But I have to be honest, the quality of some of the recent stories/journalism have been amateurish.

I am a United supporter, but I’m not blinded by my support.

This story is full of inaccuracies.

I have never been a fan of the Bleacher Report. But over the past few weeks I find myself going to that site to get my information and comments fix (aside from reading Sky Sports, The Guardian, and The Sun).

I think you need to take a step back and re-evaluate what’s been going on with your site for the past few weeks.

• Christopher Harris says:

Thanks Pete for the feedback. Opinion articles are often going to divide the readership. Not everyone is going to agree with them, like this one. But the premise of the article was good enough, in my opinion, which is why I decided to publish it. I didn’t see any inaccuracies, but feel free to point them out.

I’m planning on hiring new writers, in addition to the current crew, but it takes time.

• Pete Q says:

Sounds good.

• Taylor says:

Gaffer,

I just wonder whether moving forward you’ll consider asking the writers to respond to questions. The goal is not to have a “slugfest” but it also helps the writers to be responsible with what they write.
        I always appreciate certain writers, such as Dave Trotter and Gary O’Toole to name a few since they read the comments and discuss the feedbacks. It doesn’t hurt that their articles are so thoughtful.

• Christopher Harris says:

I can’t force them to, but I will begin encouraging them to respond in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. Frill Artist says:

It’s been less than a month and the Prem hasn’t even started yet. Pathetic.

4. San Fransiscan says:

Erm, He just started the job 26 days ago. And the summer is not yet finished.

5. Smokey Bacon says:

Moyes OUT!

6. Taylor says:

I understand that this is an opinion piece. So everyone has the right to say what he/she thinks and controversial articles generate a lot of traffic :) No need to be fired up with this.

7. Guy says:

“Pitiful. Inaccurate. Pathetic.”

All you have to do to get these kinds of comments on the site is post an article that is just a teeny bit negative about one of the big clubs. Their fans have the thinnest skins!

Your teams have the money, the power and the position, but God forbid anyone should question anything about them. Anger! Outrage!….Fatuousness.

Now that’s pathetic.

• Frill Artist says:

You’re a funny guy, Guy.

• Guy says:

I thought you’d appreciate it, Frill. And as the thumbs down accumulate, I rest my case. :-)

• jtm371 says:

Guy
          not to piss you off but i gave a thumbs up.just think if SAF had to break in at MUFC in 2013 he never would have made it.would have been let go in second season.hope you had a great summer season almost here.FOREST for promotion!i am all in pushed all my chips in.

8. Michael says:

What I don’t understand is why United are pursuing Fabregas? That in a million years would never happen. He would never go to United. If he ever left Barca for the PL, he would obviously only go back to Arsenal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is unfamiliar with football.

• Why? says:

Somebody at Barca must be flirting with them! Otherwise as you say zero chance as it’s his club, he gets played in probably the best team in the World and will go on to be a legend if he stays, Xavi not getting any younger etc.

If they don’t get him this will be looked at as a WTF were they thinking time as well as a huge waste of that time

• Mufc77 says:

Agreed they must have gotten some encouragement in private regardless of what’s being said in public. At this point in time agter two bids being rejected a date should be set to get a deal done or we move on.

Moyes has made mistakes so far but my biggest concern is the new CEO Woodward he seem to be clueless when it comes to getting a deal done.

• Pete Q says:

I can’t agree with you more on Woodward.

I’ve said this before, he is going to be the first casualty of the Moyes era.

I’ve never understood the whole pursuit of Fabregas from Day One. I understand that sometimes teams say publicly that a player “is not for sale” because they are trying to drive the price up.

But the saga of Fabregas leaving Arsenal was all over every news feed a year or so ago. The fact that he wanted to “go home to Barca” is public knowledge and he made a major stink about leaving England.

I don’t know who Woodward or United were dealing with at Barcelona. But this has been a serious public blunder.

I’m sure United fans are more than a little embarrassed by this failed attempt at a signing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Woodward had his head on the chopping block, should United not have a decent signing before the end of the transfer window.

By the way, I also don’t buy that this pursuit of Fabregas has been a “smoke screen” so United can announce another major signing. That has been floated by some people commenting.

This was no smoke screen. United clearly thought they could buy Fabregas when he was never for sale.

• Mufc77 says:

From
            What I gather Woodward is a money man with no prior footballing experience. He’s the guy that got the deal done for the Glaziers to buy the club and being made CEO is his reward. I’d like to see less talking and camera time from him and more results.

• Pete Q says:

Didn’t know Woodward was a Glazer guy. So he’s not going anywhere.

9. Marc L says:

Kind of a curious article. “Nothing seems to be going well?”

What, missed out on a few transfer targets that were grabbed by continental heavyweights? Lost a pre-season friendly? Transfer targets will want a lot of money out of a big revenue club? (The horror!)

I shudder to think what some of these people will say when the rags drop an actual match during the season.

Moyes is a very good manager. They will be fine. I mean, think it would be great if the truth were otherwise on both counts. But the truth is the truth.

10. Why? says:

I believe this writer has valid points on Moyes’s
    comments I mean ‘no budget here’ wow that’s shooting yourself right in the foot! If I’m Barca and I wanna sell Cesc (seems they don’t) I thinking you can pay more you said so yourself!
    Fergie would have said (We can’t spend like our rivals’ or ‘there is no value in the market’etc. as he has before,in an attempt to lower any prospective fees not big it up like Moyes has surely? simply shrewd. Moyes on the other hand… well a bull in a China shop come to mind!

The Rooney comments are also very strange, it’s like they are trying to force him out while pretending not to in an atempt to raise any transfer fee, it’s massively transparent!! The problem is that players wage is so high even City and Chelsea balk at it! So the fee cannot be to high otherwise Moyes has to keep a player he himself has disrespected which means he isn’t going to be anywhere near his best for utd purposefully or not. It’s not the best plan is it?

On the Thiago front, yes I believe that speculation about any talks is just that, but you do have to ask is what the hell have they been doing when Moyes says ‘we are after the top players’and ‘working hard to get them’? Surely they spoke to more than just Baines and Fabrgass in all this time? Also is it coincidence they bid Cesc after both Thiago and Strootman signed elsewhere?
    Fergie needs to put the Champers/Whiskey down and have a quite word in my opinion.

Then again as a City fan long let it continue!!!

11. Bishopville Red says:

Not a lot to say other than, I’m not worried abut Moyes. Fergie missed a lit of targets too. On top of that, there are always rumours that claim an imminent arrival at United when the player in question (a) never had United on his wish list, and (b) was never on United’s wish list.

On top of that, I have no problem with a manager getting to know what he has before racing out and grabbing new players. In fact, despite having areas I see as needing improvement, I appreciate Moyes’ patience. After all, that “unlimited” transfer war chest won’t stay unlimited forever if you go buy players who aren’t United class.

I’ll be more than happy to comment when Moyes’ work in the transfer market when he actually makes a purchase.

SB

12. Kevin says:

If you are going to “quote” someone, please be better than mainstream media and put the full quote in there or at least some context. Step it up guys.

Moyes on Rooney: “I think he’s got a major role to play because we need to try and get as many goals as we possibly can. I think Wayne can play up-top he can play dropped in. Overall my thought on Wayne is he’ll be key. If for any reason we had an injury to Robin. Robin, we are going to need him. I want to be able to play the two of them, I want to be able to use Danny Welbeck, Chicarito as well. The first year I think I have to get a chance to see (all the players) and how best to use them. It’s a chance for me to get Wayne right back to where he was. That’s the challenge and a challenge I want to take on. I’ve also got to make sure it’s not just him and we don’t concentrate on him. Manchester United isn’t about Wayne Rooney.””

13. Wongo1 says:

This was such a trash piece of writing that I puked on my keyboard. I guess Thiago coming out and saying that United never went after him proves this story to be bollocks. Please stop believing everything the Sun and Marca say as gospel.

We have gone after Cesc that is it, Strooman was never gone for once again a tabloid rumour.

I do not think United will have a marquee signing this year as most top players will want to see how Moyes does.

With that said I would rather see Adnan, Lingaard and a couple of the other youngsters get their chance to solidify positions. United is know for taking chances on youth and so it should continue.

The issue I have with Moyes is the fact that he let Renee and Steele go.