MON, 3PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

Christian Benteke Agrees Aston Villa Contract Extension Through 2017

christian benteke1 600x337 Christian Benteke Agrees Aston Villa Contract Extension Through 2017

Tottenham Hotspur have been dealt a major blow in the transfer window with the news that Aston Villa have signed an extension to Christian Benteke’s contract to keep him at Villa Park through 2017.

Despite initially handing in a transfer request at Aston Villa, Christian Benteke returned to preseason training yesterday and has now put pen to paper on a lucrative new contract. The news will be welcomed by Aston Villa fans after the Belgium striker was a key influence in keeping the club in the Premier League last season.

Aston Villa Manager Paul Lambert said:

“I had a full and frank discussion with Christian Benteke on his return to training this week regarding his future. It is my opinion that the best thing for Christian is to remain at Aston Villa. He enjoyed a terrific first season at the Club and can use that as a platform to hopefully enjoy more success this season. I’m delighted, having time to re-evaluate his future, Christian has decided to commit to the Club. It’s a huge bonus and I’m sure the supporters are every bit as delighted as me to have him on board and raring to go.”

Christian Benteke said:

“I spoke with the Manager when I returned to training and we had a good talk. I am very happy to be back here in Birmingham and at Aston Villa, and to sign a new contract. This is a great Club and it has given me a lot. Now I have to give back to my teammates and the fans who have always been right behind me. The end of last season was very good and the lads were very strong. It was not easy but we came through it and the confidence is high. So everyone knows what we have to do now – be better. I need to be better than last year.”

What’s your opinion about Benteke renewing at Aston Villa? Is he making the right move, or should he have jumped at the chance to join a bigger Premier League club?

This entry was posted in Aston Villa, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Christian Benteke Agrees Aston Villa Contract Extension Through 2017

1. COYx says:

Spurs don’t need Benteke. They have Adebayor.

2. Gary says:

Who cares if Spurs are happy or not? This is HUGE news for Aston Villa fans. Not EVERYTHING is about the top 6 in the BPL you know. UTV!!!!!!

3. Smokey Bacon says:

Have to say this is a superb piece of man management by Lambert.

Either that or Benteke found out Bale is on his way to United and changed his mind.

4. Macca says:

People forget Villa were top six regulars not so long ago – what short memories folks have. Look at the histories and traditions of Villa v Spurs and Villa are miles, miles, miles the more formidable outfit.

Villa have spent the past three years totally restructuring the club and I reckon they are very close to challenging for big stuff once more.

5. Rob Donnelly says:

Bugger

6. Foxy_Woxy says:

what a coup for Lambert and Villa! Good for them! And good for Benteke for realizing the grass isn’t always greener.

7. Scrumper says:

They bought him for 7M could’ve got 20M plus. If his star wanes, Villa has lost a huge payday.

8. Brn442 says:

Ah, so he will stay until January then…

9. heid3ster says:

Great day to be a Villa fan.

10. Dust says:

watch a video to read a story? lol..what…