Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse has pulled out of the club’s pre-season tour to Portugal after refusing to wear the club shirt featuring shirt sponsor Wonga. Cisse objects to wearing the shirt promoting the payday lender due to religious reasons.
As a Muslim, the shirt infringes Sharia Law, which forbids Muslims from benefiting from lending money.
Cisse has offered to wear a shirt that either doesn’t feature a shirt sponsor, or features a charity name instead.
According to the BBC, Cisse and his representatives have been in talks with club officials and the Professional Footballers’ Association in recent days but neither the club nor their shirt sponsor have been able to find a solution.
The situation is putting Cisse’s Newcastle future into doubt. The Senegalese striker also sat out yesterday’s friendly that featured Newcastle against Motherwell.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Papiss Cisse pulls out of Newcastle tour after sponsor row — BBC Sport
- Defender Maicon leaves Manchester City for Roma after 11 months in the Premier League — ESPN
- Youssouf Mulumbu signs new two-year deal with West Brom — The Independent
- Sebastien Squillaci leaves Arsenal to head back to France — Evening Standard
- Liverpool fans: Are you suffering from football withdrawal disorder? — Sabotage Times
- Carlos Tevez: too much pressure at Manchester City — The Telegraph
- Manchester United fans buy 17,000 tickets to watch a training session in Oz — The Independent
- The Big Match – opening titles (Part 2) — The Football Attic
- Manchester United happy to do transfer bidding in public under David Moyes — Manchester Evening News
- Understanding Gareth Bale’s tactical evolution — Just Football
- Premier League gains blocking order on illegal streams — Premier League
- Manchester City launch 10 new websites — Manchester City FC
- Florent Malouda puts end to Chelsea misery to join Turkish team — Evening Standard
- The Sun to show FA Cup and England match clips in UK — The Sun
- PSG say Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic are not for sale — Sky Sports
- PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to join Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid — 101GG
- Charles Green’s controversial Rangers takeover cleared by SFA — The Telegraph
- England’s Toni Duggan spots ice cream shop robbery after scoring vital Euro 2013 goal — Dirty Tackle
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.