While Manchester United manager David Moyes has been trumpeting how Wayne Rooney is a key part of his plans at United and saying that the player will not be sold, new United chief executive Ed Woodward is singing from a different hymn sheet.
“No contract renewals are being discussed. I am not sitting down with any player on an extension and there is no trigger date in the diary.
“Would we be afraid to run a contract down? Of course not.”
Judging by those words, Manchester United are playing hardball. They’re not willing to bend to give Rooney a brand-new contract and to try to woo him to stay at the club for longer. It’s a clear “put up or shut up” tactic by United, and it’ll now be interesting to see how Rooney’s advisor reacts to this news, which could accelerate Rooney’s departure from Old Trafford so he can go to a club where he’ll be paid more money and appreciated more.
What’s your read on the developments? Are Manchester United trying to force Rooney out? Or do you have a different take on Woodward’s opinion? Share your feedback in the comments section below.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Wayne Rooney will not be offered an extension to his Manchester United deal — Sky Sports
- Luis Suarez says he wants to leave Liverpool due to lack of a title challenge & CL football — 101GG
- Julio Cesar set to join Napoli due to Arsene Wenger dithering — The Mail
- Thomas Vermaelen will still be Arsenal captain says Arsène Wenger — The Guardian
- David Moyes given greenlight by Man United chiefs to sign stellar player — The Independent
- David Moyes says Wayne Rooney will be fit for start of Premier League — The Telegraph
- Manchester United given deadline to sign Marouane Fellaini — Soccerlens
- Crystal Palace to sign £2m Jose Campana from Sevilla — The Mail
- Manchester City eye new players but Edin Dzeko staying — Sky Sports
- New kits for ’83/’84 — The Football Attic
- Goalkeeper Steve Harper set to complete move to Hull — Sky Sports
- Liverpool target Christian Eriksen, Toby Alderweireld AND Ryan Bertrand — The Mirror
- Manchester City’s Manuel Pellegrini ready for Premier League pressure — The Guardian
- Galatasaray interested in signing Kevin Prince-Boateng — Football Italia
- QPR midfielder Adel Taarabt welcomes Marseille link — Sky Sports
Russian Premier League
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.