In a tearful goodbye, Paulinho had a press reference today to say goodbye to Corinthians as he confirmed he’s heading to Tottenham Hotspur in a £17million deal.
The 24-year-old midfielder, who was one of the many stars on the Brazilian team who won the Confederations Cup, travels to London this week to take his medical and to finalize the deal with Spurs.
Here’s what Paulinho said about moving to Tottenham:
“The other interest we got was from Inter Milan but the only offer came from Tottenham. The proposal came, we sat down, analysed it and decided. It was a big decision to go to a big club. There comes a certain point when you need new challenges.”
This is certainly a statement of intent by Tottenham Hotspur to capture the signing of such a great midfielder. Now they need to focus on signing a quality striker to complete their needs. What are your thoughts about signing Paulinho, and should Arsenal fans be concerned that on the same day Paulinho is heading to White Hart Lane, Arsenal sign a French youngster on a free transfer from a Ligue 2 side? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Paulinho Confirms £17million Move From Corinthians to Tottenham — The Guardian
- Chelsea prepare to offer £20m for Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney — The Telegraph
- Swansea have joined the race to sign in-demand winger Tom Ince from Blackpool — Sky Sports
- Norwich’s record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel hopes for World Cup selection — The Independent
- Striker Nicolas Anelka is odds-on to join West Brom — Sky Sports
- Titus Bramble training with West Ham after Sunderland release — The Guardian
- Arsenal could do with Wayne Rooney, admits Jack Wilshere — Evening Standard
- Offside rule changed by FIFA – confusion among Premier League — The Mail
- Crystal Palace hope to sign Jonjo Shelvey on loan — The Guardian
- Mike Phelan says Wayne Rooney may want a fresh challenge elsewhere — BBC Sport
- Guardiola wants to boost his Bayern defence with the £35m signing of Chelsea’s David Luiz — 101GG
- West Brom eye Salomon Kalou for a reunion with his old Chelsea pal Steve Clarke — The Mirror
- Arsenal’s £18.5m bid for Bender rejected by Bayer Leverkusen — The Guardian
- Hamburg confirm signing of Arsenal defender Johan Djourou on season-long loan — The Independent
- French striker Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal on free transfer — Arsenal FC
- Euro 2012 one year on: Are international football tournaments curse or boon? — The Economist
- World Cup 2014: Fifa delays announcement of ticket prices — The Guardian
- Götze: I’ve joined the best club in the world — Bayern Munich
- Bayern’s Mario Gomez linked with Fiorentina — ESPN FC
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.