Jonathan de Guzman has agreed a new season-long loan at Swansea City. The talented Dutch midfielder is still registered as a Villarreal footballer, but the Spanish club agreed a new one year deal with the Swans to keep him in Wales until the end of the 2013-14 season.
De Guzman started off slowly at Swansea last season, but his performances improved greatly to such a point where he was one of the first names on the team sheet each week. His performances in the League Cup, especially, were exceptional where he scored two goals in the final as well as an important goal at Anfield to knock Liverpool out of the cup.
In addition to re-signing De Guzman on a season-long loan, the Swans have signed central defender Jordi Amat from Espanyol for £2.5 million as well as midfielder Jose Canas from Real Betis on a free transfer. The Welsh club are also reportedly close to signing a deal for Vitesse Arnhem and Ivory Coast striker Wilfried Bony for £10.2 million.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Jonathan de Guzman is staying at Swansea after agreeing a new loan from Villarreal — Sky Sports
- Liverpool agree deal for Henrikh Mkhitaryan claims Russian media — 101GG
- Swansea City targeting six new signings, says Huw Jenkins — This Is South Wales
- Benjamin Mendy is yet to agree a move to Sunderland and is in talks with other clubs — Sky Sports
- Michael Dawson awaits ‘fantastic’ atmosphere at Barclays Asia Trophy — Premier League
- Carlos Tevez risks being handed a suspended prison sentence if he does not fulfil community service — Sky Sports
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.