Spain vs Italy, Confederations Cup Semi-Final: Open Thread
Spain plays Italy today in the second semi-final of the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup. The winner will face Brazil in the final on Sunday, while the losing team will play against Uruguay in the third-place match scheduled earlier on Sunday.
Between Spain and Italy, the pressure is on Spain to win the semi-final. The Spanish side are favorites to win, have no injury worries and are flying through this tournament.
For viewers in the United States, the broadcast begins at 2:30pm ET on ESPN and WatchESPN.
Interesting facts, (thanks to FIFA):
- The previous meeting was the UEFA EURO 2012 final (Spain 4-0 Italy), with David Silva, Jordi Alba, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata scoring – all of whom are at the Confeds
- Spain’s only win over Italy in a senior FIFA tournament was a 2-0 win in the 1920 Olympics
- This is the second all-European derby in Confeds history. The first was a 2003 semi-final (France 3-2 Turkey)
- With this game, Vicente Del Bosque will become the most experienced coach in Confeds history (nine games)
- The overall record has Italy ahead with ten wins to Spain’s nine
Before, during and after today’s match, join the conversation with fellow soccer fans in the comments section below.