If You Want Your EPL, Time Warner Customers, It’s Time To Take Action
If you’re a Time Warner customer and you’re a fan of watching the Premier League, you could miss out on up to 49% of all matches that will be shown live by NBC Sports beginning with the 2013-14 season.
Currently, Time Warner is one of the major cable companies in the US who are refusing to budge on providing soccer fans with access to all of the Premier League matches available. NBC Sports, via television and the Internet, are making every single Premier League match available to soccer fans in the United States.
Time Warner currently offers its customers access to NBC Sports Network, NBC, Telemundo/Mun2 and other NBC Universal channels such as USA Network, CNBC, etc. However, Time Warner currently have no plans to offer its customers access to the NBC Sports Live Extra app or Premier League Extra Time, according to a source close to the company.
NBC Sports Live Extra is the app that allows soccer fans to watch every single Premier League match live on their computer, tablet or mobile device. In order to access NBC Sports Live Extra, you need to verify that you’re a current cable or satellite provider. But even though NBC Sports is offering the NBC Sports Live Extra service, as well as Premier League Extra Time, to Time Warner (and other TV providers nationwide) for free, Time Warner has refused to agree a deal.
If you’re a Time Warner customer, what this means is that you’ll have access to 51% of the games televised by NBC Sports on television — on the TV networks mentioned above. But you’ll miss out on seeing the other 49% matches that will be shown live on NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time. (Premier League Extra Time are NBC’s overflow channels that will show all of the games live on television that aren’t being shown live on the above mentioned networks).
If things stay the way they are now with Time Warner, you’ll only have access to 196 of the 380 Premier League matches that will be shown live in the 2013-14 season, which kicks off on August 17.
Time is running out.
If you’re a Time Warner customer, you have two options. One, you can try to switch to a different TV provider (DISH Network will carry NBC Sports Live Extra, for example). Or, two, you need to call Time Warner today. And keep on calling them every few weeks until they change their minds.
To locate the phone number for Time Warner, visit their Contact Us page.
Note that the most effective method of getting your point across to Time Warner is to speak to them on the phone so you can get your voice heard, and so they can confirm that you’re a Time Warner customer. Social media or e-mails are OK, but they’re easier for Time Warner to ignore. Take a few minutes and call Time Warner today.
When you speak with a Time Warner customer service representative, remain calm but assertive and tell them that you want Time Warner to give you access to NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time. Don’t be surprised if the rep won’t know what you’re talking about. Remain persistent and explain to them that NBC Sports Live Extra is the online service that NBC Sports Group is offering free to participating TV providers, which will offer all of your favorite soccer games each year, while Premier League Extra Time are the overflow channels that will show the additional EPL games that aren’t being shown on NBC Sports Network, NBC and other NBC channels.
Post your results in the comments section below. Let us and other readers know what worked best, and what reaction you got from Time Warner customer service. What did they tell you? And did they seem helpful, or did they try to “pass the buck”?
What about other TV providers? The current list of TV providers who provide access to NBC Sports Live Extra are Cablevision, Comcast Xfinity, DISH, Mediacom, Suddenlink, Verizon FiOS and WOW! If your TV provider isn’t Time Warner nor one of the ones listed, stay tuned to World Soccer Talk as I’ll have more news to share in the coming days or weeks.
If you’re a Time Warner customer, what are you waiting for? Call today and tell Time Warner that you want access to NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time.
For more details, read World Soccer Talk’s guide entitled everything you need to know about NBC’s coverage plans for the Premier League.