THURS, 1PM ET
VIL4
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

If You Want Your EPL, Time Warner Customers, It’s Time To Take Action

fight for your rights If You Want Your EPL, Time Warner Customers, Its Time To Take Action

If you’re a Time Warner customer and you’re a fan of watching the Premier League, you could miss out on up to 49% of all matches that will be shown live by NBC Sports beginning with the 2013-14 season.

Currently, Time Warner is one of the major cable companies in the US who are refusing to budge on providing soccer fans with access to all of the Premier League matches available. NBC Sports, via television and the Internet, are making every single Premier League match available to soccer fans in the United States.

Time Warner currently offers its customers access to NBC Sports Network, NBC, Telemundo/Mun2 and other NBC Universal channels such as USA Network, CNBC, etc. However, Time Warner currently have no plans to offer its customers access to the NBC Sports Live Extra app or Premier League Extra Time, according to a source close to the company.

NBC Sports Live Extra is the app that allows soccer fans to watch every single Premier League match live on their computer, tablet or mobile device. In order to access NBC Sports Live Extra, you need to verify that you’re a current cable or satellite provider. But even though NBC Sports is offering the NBC Sports Live Extra service, as well as Premier League Extra Time, to Time Warner (and other TV providers nationwide) for free, Time Warner has refused to agree a deal.

If you’re a Time Warner customer, what this means is that you’ll have access to 51% of the games televised by NBC Sports on television — on the TV networks mentioned above. But you’ll miss out on seeing the other 49% matches that will be shown live on NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time. (Premier League Extra Time are NBC’s overflow channels that will show all of the games live on television that aren’t being shown live on the above mentioned networks).

If things stay the way they are now with Time Warner, you’ll only have access to 196 of the 380 Premier League matches that will be shown live in the 2013-14 season, which kicks off on August 17.

Time is running out.

If you’re a Time Warner customer, you have two options. One, you can try to switch to a different TV provider (DISH Network will carry NBC Sports Live Extra, for example). Or, two, you need to call Time Warner today. And keep on calling them every few weeks until they change their minds.

To locate the phone number for Time Warner, visit their Contact Us page.

Note that the most effective method of getting your point across to Time Warner is to speak to them on the phone so you can get your voice heard, and so they can confirm that you’re a Time Warner customer. Social media or e-mails are OK, but they’re easier for Time Warner to ignore. Take a few minutes and call Time Warner today.

When you speak with a Time Warner customer service representative, remain calm but assertive and tell them that you want Time Warner to give you access to NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time. Don’t be surprised if the rep won’t know what you’re talking about. Remain persistent and explain to them that NBC Sports Live Extra is the online service that NBC Sports Group is offering free to participating TV providers, which will offer all of your favorite soccer games each year, while Premier League Extra Time are the overflow channels that will show the additional EPL games that aren’t being shown on NBC Sports Network, NBC and other NBC channels.

Post your results in the comments section below. Let us and other readers know what worked best, and what reaction you got from Time Warner customer service. What did they tell you? And did they seem helpful, or did they try to “pass the buck”?

What about other TV providers? The current list of TV providers who provide access to NBC Sports Live Extra are Cablevision, Comcast Xfinity, DISH, Mediacom, Suddenlink, Verizon FiOS and WOW! If your TV provider isn’t Time Warner nor one of the ones listed, stay tuned to World Soccer Talk as I’ll have more news to share in the coming days or weeks.

If you’re a Time Warner customer, what are you waiting for? Call today and tell Time Warner that you want access to NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra Time.

For more details, read World Soccer Talk’s guide entitled everything you need to know about NBC’s coverage plans for the Premier League.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, NBC. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to If You Want Your EPL, Time Warner Customers, It’s Time To Take Action

1. christian says:

Keep these posts up Gaffer. We all need to take this serious.

• Richard Kujay says:

I too, feel that directv will ultimately make this deal but, just like in the transfer window, they will wait until the 11th hour.
      On the other hand I emailed them asking for a response and never got one. I called, per the Gaffer’s advice, and made my feelings clear, but it seemed to me that the agent, and then supervisor I spoke with are either uninformed or underimpressed by football fans.

• Alan says:

I got the same type of response from both representatives and supervisors. I’ve been calling and emailing since May. What we need is someone with some influence to speak with someone in programming at TWC because the people I have spoken to just keep regurgitating….” We value you as a customer and will pass on your concerns to our programming department.” I really don’t know what else to do????

• Christopher Harris says:

I would seriously think about switching TV providers to DISH Network or someone else. If they’re not going to give you what you want, they’re not servicing their customers.

• Huw Roma says:

Yeah because only having access to 196 games is unacceptable.

• The Gaffer says:

Again Huw, this goes back to the difference between hardcore fans and casual fans. Hardcore fans will want to have access to all 380, not 196.

• Mars220 says:

@ Huw & Gaffer. I’m a casual EPL fan and i want all 380 games ! If i’m paying for the service than TWC needs to provide me with the programming. I usually DVR the games i can’t watch LIVE. So they will be getting a complain from me.

• Cason says:

I chatted with a TWC employee today who turned out to be a Chelsea fan. He said he didn’t have any real details, but expected an announcement between now and early August. He was also excited about the coverage on NBC, and I got the impression that it wasn’t his first conversation about it, so hopefully the pressure from EPL fans is working.

2. saywhat? says:

This is one of the many reasons I ditched Time Warner 5 years ago. Their service is awful. I tell people to go to directv if they can. Much better quality. It hasn’t been announced yet but I am certain they will have no problem adding the NBC EPL packages being offered.

• Dean Stell says:

Ditto….I loathe TimeWarner. If you want to do something fun, just search for “TimeWarner” on twitter and see how it’s nothing but people complaining about their service. I can’t imagine many companies that are more loathed.

Like you, I just have faith that DirecTV will get it sorted out. They always do.

3. Paul says:

Any updates on AT&T U-verse?

4. Sam says:

I honestly can’t believe Directv isn’t on this already. Their service has always been good and they call themselves the TV leader in sports. That being said, it’s certainly making me nervous enough and I don’t want to have to switch back to comcast, but I will

• saywhat? says:

Give it time. You don’t show your first hand in poker right away. You don’t need it for another 6 week or so. Give it till about the first maybe second week of August. Directv will be on board.

• Leafsfan1967 says:

It is very worrying that there is no word on DirecTV. They had a long and nasty dispute with Comcast over Versus which is now NBCSN. I think it’s time to start making noise….for all the good it may do.

• saywhat? says:

Versus had zero attractive content. Turn on versus in prime time and it was likely a logging competition from Oregon. Look at like this. The “extra time” package is specifically for providers with “carry over” channels. Directv has more carry over channel bandwith than any other provider. This package is made for the specific intention of Directv. Sleep easy my friend.

• Leafsfan1967 says:

Versus did have the NHL them as NBCSN does now. So it wasn’t quite the wasteland you suggest.

• Richard Kujay says:

Logging competitions…lol… this is probably what one can expect from Fox Sports 1. Anyone notice that Fox’s new ad features the voice of none other than Gus??

• Greg M says:

I hope DirecTV catches up soon. I’m really excited about the prospect of being able to watch every single Liverpool game, but having to miss some or stream some on crappy illegal streaming sites because DirecTV can’t agree on a deal with NBCSN will be really annoying, especially when cheaper satellite providers are providing the service for their customers.

I emailed DirecTV this morning and they sent a response about 4 hours later (much quicker than the 24 hours they promised) and said that..

“We do not have plans of carrying this service at this time. We value your programming interests, so I have forwarded your email to our programming department. I assure you that we are constantly reviewing our programming options to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our customers.”

I hope a deal is being worked on. I know we have a few weeks to go until the season starts, but I’ll definitely be reviewing my options as the season gets closer.

5. adam k says:

What is the status of Cox? Same as TW? I’ve been calling!

6. Jersey says:

Someday they’ll decouple the option to pay for EPL access from overpriced and overstuffed cable packages. What a lovely day that will be.

7. Walt from MD says:

This is not just a Time Warner issue. Very few TV providers will offer the web content. My cable company Armstrong Cable which is based in the Pittsburg area does not have plans for it. They didn’t carry FSC either. At least they have NBC. I guess I’ll still have to bootleg streams from other sources.

8. Kobashi says:

Since Time Warner handles the negotiations for Brighthouse Cable when it comes to new channels it means people w/Brighthouse like myself are going to be shut out if they can’t come to a deal.

9. Jeff says:

“The NBC Sports Group has not reached TV Everywhere deals with all cable and satellite distributors, but Lazarus expects deals with AT&T, Cox, Charter, and DIRECTV to be completed shortly.”

Regarding DirecTV, this quote was from an article about NBC Sports chairman Mark Lazarus discussing ‘TV Everywhere’ last week (http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/2013/06/19/lazarus-nbc-committed-to-tv-everywhere-looking-forward-to-epl-in-2014/). Hopefully that settles some nerves about which provides will offer the additional content available

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks Jeff! That helps a lot.

• Sam says:

From the same article

“As for the additional 180 games, every Saturday, NBC Sports will make four simultaneous games available to distribution partners during the 10 a.m.-noon ET window. The hope is that they will broadcast all four matches by making use of pay-per-view and sports VOD services available during the morning hours.”

I thought these games were free to providers and subscribers? Since when were the games going to be on pay packages?

• Kobashi says:

NBCSN wants cable companies to use the channels they use for overflow for those 2 hours on Saturday Morning or on free VOD services that a lot of cable companies offer. There is no additional visual cost to you or anyone else. Of course the rates when NBCSN’s contract comes up next time with your cable company the will get paid more and in turn our cable bills will go up.

• Jeff says:

No worries Gaffer and Dominjon. Thought that little quote along with the rest of the article provided details that weren’t previously mentioned

• Dan L says:

“We are also hopeful to make a deal with Time Warner Cable,” he said. I wonder if this is true, or just trying to embarrass them into a deal, because they’re being left behind.

• Dominjon says:

Jeff as a Charter customer who was getting nowhere trying to talk to them and was almost resigned to not having access to every game that quote made my day.
      Thank you sir.

• Richard Kujay says:

“Games will be provided live on a linear network”. That is industry speak for a subscription channel, such as fox soccer plus.

• Jeff says:

Linear network IIRC refers to the games airing on NBC, NBCSN, Telemundo/mun2 or on rare occasions CNBC, USA Network or another NBCU network.

All other games will air on EPL Extra Time which Gaffer has outlined in various articles previously on this site.

• K Riz says:

Will these games be available to watch as a “replay”, and not simply “live” – like FS2G used to do? Gah. I miss FS2G so much already. My head hurts.

10. Rob says:

So what cable/satellite services have committed to Premeire League Extra Time?

11. gbewing says:

I can even reach anyone in my cable company (Surewest) who knows about programming. I have scoured their contact info, tried to talk with customer service and no one knows who I would even talk to.
    I tried the reverse this week and contacted NBC sports by email to see if they could point me in a direction of who to talk to- so far no reply-

would it be smarter to have an NBC contact point to start this process then with the cable companies-NBC would definitely have contact info and it supports their programming

• Leafsfan1967 says:

DirecTV has simply given their canned responses to questions and I too tried contacting NBC.

• Yespage says:

Customers won’t have access to the people that actually would know about these things. That is well above customer service (or at least that is what the providers seem to think). So we have The Gaffer and others online (not that I ever check anywhere else *shifty eyes*) who have access to people that do know the answers or at least some sort of status.

So call in to let them know you want it, but don’t expect them to know a thing.

12. Kansas City fan says:

I have been with Time Warner so long they quit asking me about getting a new contract. Even through all the pain of dropped service I stayed because my locked in rate was to good.

I am here to say that if UVerse truly signs up for the whole kit then I will not think twice about paying more for AT&T and finally kicking TW to the curb!

13. Marc L says:

As of yesterday, one of Time Warner’s reps indicated to me that they would be adding everything we need here sometime in July.

I do not 100% believe the guy, though, as it was an online chat session with “Ethan” (real name no doubt “Sanjay.”)

The idiot that I called at the local had not even heard of any of this, and asked if it was “like NBA Live.”

• Marc L says:

Meaning nothing at all against anyone named Sanjay – seriously. It was just some anonymous rep who obviously did not speak English as a first language and I got the sense he was just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear.

14. John Culea says:

I just had a chat session with Time Warner Cable and it was not encouraging. I asked that TWC carry NBC Sports Live Extra and was told that my request would be given to a supervisor. This is typical corporate vanilla response from the same company that has not televised San Diego Padre games in San Diego for two years.

• The Gaffer says:

I should add that if the first level of customer service doesn’t give you what you’re asking for, ask to speak to a supervisor.

• John Culea says:

I just got off the phone with a Time Warner customer “service” person. Nice guy; however, he said he has no power to even pass along my request to the corporate people and said the only thing that has any weight is a written letter (not email).
        He said even his supervisor cannot pass along comments from people who call them.
        So, I am writing Time Warner Cable at 900 N. Cahuenga Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90038.
        TWC is one of the most arrogant, user unfriendly companies around. Their techs who make house calls are professional, their “suits” are jackasses.

15. Huw Roma says:

I might be in the minority here, but as a Time Warner customer I’m happy with 196 games. Who really has time to watch all 380 games? I think 4 or 5 games a weekend is ideal. That is unless you’re a sick person who must see Hull vs Stoke and aren’t even a fan of either.

• Huw Roma says:

Better still move to New Zealand where Sky TV lost the EPL rights to an internet provider. After that I think 196 games on regular tv sounds good. Everyone is acting like this is a huge outrage.

• dominjon says:

It isn’t about seeing every game played by every team, it is being able to see every game from your team.
      Last few seasons I have been able to watch every Liverpool league game (although there have been times I wished I couldn’t…) and I would hate to lose that ability. I don’t care if I have to watch on my ipad or DVR some obscure channel I have to pay extra for or subscribe to a website or whatever. As long as I have access.

16. K Riz says:

Cox Communication (in metro Phx, AZ) = Same thing. The agent (rep) was clueless. I told him about the NBC app and Premier League Extra Time channels and basically his main response was, “Uhhhhh… Uhh… Well… Uhhh… Don’t see anything here about those two things.”

S i g h.

Guess I will wait a few more weeks and try again.

If not, I AM OFF TO DISH NETWORK.

So frustrating. These dorks on the phones know nothing. Ever.

I asked that he put in a “formal request” for me, and he said that he “just did” – but he probably just stared at his blank screen for 5 minutes imo.

For DISH NETWORK customers reading… Is it a good company?

Gah. Just want my EPL.

17. K Riz says:

Gaffer,

Just finished the “Awful Announcers” podcast you were on, talking about Gus Johnson and a few other things. You were brilliant. Thanks for being our voice.

Maybe you could call up Cox Communications for me too?

lolol

Hehe

18. G says:

Thanks for keeping these updates coming Gaffer.
    I’ve spoken with Time Warner via telephone and internet chat and they really don’t understand what I’m talking about.

I will switch to a competitor if they don’t figure it out.

19. gbewing says:

I got an actual on topic response from Surewest Kansas City

Hello Bart,

Thank you for contacting Surewest.

At this time we do not have a time table or time line on when we will
    launch NBC Sports Live Extra and Premier League Extra.

I did want to inform you that we have already several inquiries regarding
    this issue and we are working on having it resolved as soon as possible.

I also wanted to advise you that we do offer Fox Soccer Plus HD @ 19.99 per
    month if you would be interested

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Customer Care Online

Good news is
    1.they know what I was talking about -that’s the first they recognized the service
    2. Many other inquiries about this – and Surewest is a small cable company with little market share (we fired Time Warner and Google Fiber is coming but these guys have been solid)so this is a big deal even here

Bad news

offering me Fox + for $20 a month-I didn’t have the heart to respond that in August that station is dead and there is nothing on it now

I’m encouraged

20. Nour says:

I’m a TWC customer in Cincinnati OH. Called them today, got passed twice cause no clue what I was talking about… Last guy was very nice and even called back when line dropped !! Did not know about the NBC deal on EPL, but understood the situation and show concern about loosing me to Dish Network… They have apparently an internal system to elevate customer requests for new coverage/channels, so took all the details of the channels/app needed.He was hopeful the overflow channels from nbc will be included, as TWC did last year for Olympics (all etra channels were shown without extra charge). I’m giving them until first week of August, an I’ll switch by then to Dish network, my freinds who have it in Cincinnati are happy with sport/soccer coverage.

21. Mark S says:

Gaffer,

I’m a bit confused with your post, don’t we already have foxsoccer/foxsoccerplus/espn which show close to 100% of the EPL games between 3 of them, or are the games going away and moving to NBC sports?
    Thanks!

22. Dan L says:

This was my last attempt to give TWC a chance.

Christopher>Hi, How are you doing?
    Daniel>Hi, im good thanks. You?
    Christopher>Wonderful! Glad to know that. I am doing great. Thanks for asking
    Christopher>The NBC sports live extra is not with us as of now
    Christopher>We have NBC sports Network
    Christopher>And NBC Sports Network HD
    Christopher>Please check after some time or you can keep a tab on our website for it
    Daniel>Same answer as a few days ago, and the time before that and the time before that. :( I will have to change providers if you don’t get it in soon. I do check everyday but time is ticking. Anyway thanks for your help.
    Christopher>I understand
    Christopher>Abd I’ll take your feedback and sent to our support team
    Daniel>Thank you, but not being rude, the last person said that also.

23. Tony says:

What i did was go and do a very public question on there time warner facebook page for all the world to see

24. Michael says:

A question not related to this thread but please help clarify. NBC have been quoting the numbers of matches they will offer through December only. Why is that? Will they scale back their coverage after December? I’m about to jump ship to direct tv, but don’t want to find there’s some reduction in coverage after December?

• Christopher Harris says:

As soon as the schedule is released for a new Premier League season, all weekend games are scheduled for Saturday, but then the Premier League sits down with Sky Sports and BT Sports in the UK to determine which of those Saturday games will be moved to Sunday, and Monday, as well as early kick-offs on a Saturday and the late kick-offs on a Saturday. They’ve done that so far for August 17 through December 1. A couple of months from now, they’ll do that for December 1 through March, and then March through May. So NBC Sports will still have a ton of coverage, but they don’t want to announce December 1 onwards quite yet because the schedule hasn’t been locked down.

25. san diego toffee says:

gaffer- can you provide list of cable companies that will be offering premier league extra time? i’m getting the run around from time warner (whom i currently have) and u-verse, and I just want to have idea of who I can switch to before season starts. thanks

26. Jessica says:

I’m not sure if my Time Warner rep was being hopeful or was tired of answering the question, but he said this via chat. Maybe I’m extra hopeful because his name is Theo and I’m a Gooner!

[1:27:50 PM] Theo > At this time we do not have details on when the channels will be available live.
    [1:28:17 PM] Theo > However, we will definitely carry the channels at its season.
    [1:29:36 PM] Jessica_ > Both of those channels, or just the NBC Sports channels you guys already carry?
    [1:29:37 PM] Jessica_ > The season starts in 16 days, so I just want to be sure as I will switch providers if not.
    [1:29:57 PM] Theo > Please be assured.
    [1:30:02 PM] Theo > You will not need to switch.

• Guy says:

Thanks for that. I’ve said before that TWC would get there eventually. They just seem to have the need to torture everyone in the process.

Lately their roll outs have been more nationwide than in the past, so I’m hoping this one gets as far as eastern NC. :-)

27. Marcie says:

Im a TW customer and I think it is time to change…I love sports , soccer been one of them and you guys fail to show..it is time to go

28. Chetan says:

Talking with BHN representative right now.

Me: Want to learn about whenif NBC sports live extra is coming to BHN anytime soon or not
    Justin: Hello and good morning. Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Bright House Networks.
    Justin: I am sorry but I do not have any information on adding that channel to the line up.
    Justin: Is there anything else that I can help you with? Do you have any further questions comments or concerns?
    Justin: I apologize, but if you are still there, please let me know. I’ll need to close this chat unless I receive a reply within the next 2 minutes.
    Me: I am here
    Justin: How can I help you?
    Me: NBC Sports Live Extra is the online service that NBC Sports Group is offering free to participating TV providers, which will offer all of your favorite soccer games each year, while Premier League Extra Time are the overflow channels that will show the additional EPL games that aren’t being shown on NBC Sports Network, NBC and other NBC channels.
    Me: As of right now, BHN doesnt have agreement with NBC to have access of this online service to their customer, but there are other providers are offering this service.. So As a BHN customer I wanted to check if it is going to be here any time soon or I shall look for other options.. because not having this service means I will miss half of English Premiere league soccer matches next season which starts from next weekend.
    Me: I expect you to provide a definite answer (if not right now, then via email in next few hours) on wether BHN is planning/looking to provide this service to its customer or not.
    Justin: I am able to put in a request to our marketing department for you if you don’t mind waiting a few minutes.
    Me: sure
    Justin: Thank you. I will be a few minutes. I have been informed that this has become a common request.

=====

so its a common request, well done BHN customers!!!

29. dexter says:

wat the hell saturday morning is a drag now with no EPL hard core ARSENAL fan..