Liverpool are holding talks over a potential £9million deal to sign Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.
The Belgium goalkeeper would be a fine addition to the Anfield squad and would give Liverpool goalkeepers Pepe Reina and Brad Jones serious competition for the starting spot at the club.
Here’s what the Salut! Sunderland blog says about his pending departure:
“If Simon Mignolet does leave, I am sure it is with the best wishes of all true Sunderland fans. The penalty save at The Sports Direct Arena [against Newcastle], the string of brave saves against Manchester City and the way that he kept us in the derby game in April, will live long in the memory.
“He was thrown in at the deep end [when he joined Sunderland] as Craig Gordon was not fit and he did struggle at first. He was criticised for not building a good enough wall, thereby allowing Ryan Taylor to curl home the winning free kick for the Mags. He recovered from that and had a decent season – the odd mistake, a little bit of indecision and areas where his game could improve.
“Improve it did. The arrival of better central defenders in Wes Brown and John O’Shea helped him and, although injury ruled him out for two months, he came back for that epic win over Manchester City and had a blinder.”
What are your thoughts about Mignolet? Will he be a good transfer buy for Liverpool? And will he be able to unseat Pepe Reina from the starting spot? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Liverpool are holding talks over a potential £9m deal for Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet — Sky Sports
- Tottenham lead the chase for James McCarthy, Wigan want £20m [Sunday Times] — 101GG
- Fernando Torres’ Chelsea record rated ‘so-so’ by Jose Mourinho — Sky Sports
- Arsenal offer €30m in one single payment to Real Madrid for Gonzalo Higuain [Marca] — 101GG
- Di Canio will fine any players who return for training more than two kg overweight — Sky Sports
- Man City offer Napoli €40m + Dzeko or €55m straight to sign Edinson Cavani [Gazzetta] — 101GG
- Zinedine Zidane urges Gareth Bale to ask Tottenham for move — Sky Sports
- Wesley Sneijder insists he cannot leave Galatasaray this year — The Sun
- Rio Ferdinand rejected England over fitness worries — Sky Sports
- Allan McGregor’s agent says Hull City are in pole position to sign him — Sky Sports
- Mexico and Italy both in unpredictable form — When Saturday Comes
- Brazil team of 2013 can be greats, says Luiz Felipe Scolari — BBC Sport
- Independiente drop from Argentina’s top flight for the 1st time in 100 years, everyone cries — 101GG
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.