José Mourinho Reveals His Secret Pact With Sir Alex Ferguson: Nightly Soccer Report
Jose Mourinho has revealed that he had a secret pact with Sir Alex Ferguson where they both agreed to keep each other’s secrets quiet. Several months ago Ferguson told Mourinho that he was retiring at the end of the season. And, Mourinho confided with Ferguson that he longed to return to Stamford Bridge.
Here’s what Mourinho said:
“I knew that Ferguson was retiring many months ago and I was so happy to have his trust. It was big news for the world. I can imagine that just a very close circle around him knew that and it was a big responsibility for me to know that. Why do I know that? Because we are friends. If I am his friend to know he is going to retire, he is also my friend to know that the club I want to coach in England is Chelsea. Of course I told him. For Chelsea, I would turn down every job in the world.”
Some of you may recall the moment in the Manchester United against Real Madrid match in the UEFA Champions League this past February where, I believe it was the second leg, Mourinho walked over to Ferguson and whispered something in his ear shortly after Nani had been red carded. Presumably it was Mourinho telling Ferguson that Nani was harshly sent off. But perhaps it was Mourinho telling Fergie that he was going back to Chelsea. We can pretend that’s what he said. Right?!
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- José Mourinho reveals his secret pact with Sir Alex Ferguson — The Guardian
- Man City fear secret scouting database could have been hacked by employee of EPL rival — Mirror
- Crystal Palace bid to hijack Swansea move for West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie — The Mail
- Liverpool MD Ian Ayre cancels Rio trip to complete move for Henrikh Mkhitaryan — 101GG
- West Ham eye Chelsea cast-offs Florent Malouda and Salomon Kalou — Telegraph
- Isco denies agreement with new Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini after Norway Golazo — 101GG
- Sunderland target Scott Parker as Black Cats revamp continues under Paolo Di Canio — The Mirror
- Spain tiki-taka their way to Euro U21 final with commanding 3-0 win over Norway — 101GG
- Liverpool striker Fabio Borini downs Dutch to set up Spain final — UEFA.com
- Trecker’s Brazilian Travels Day 4: Worth the fight — FOX Soccer
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.