Sunderland Sign 3 New Players, Chief Scout and Director of Football: Nightly Soccer Report
Sunderland were incredibly busy today with the appointment of a director of football, a new chief scout, two new defenders and a new midfielder.
Director of Football Roberto De Fanti has worked closely with new Chief Scout Valentino Angeloni at Udinese and Inter Milan, and both men will work on restructuring the entire player recruitment process at Sunderland FC.
After losing defenders Phil Bardsley and Matt Kilgallon, Sunderland have signed centre-back Valentin Roberge from Maritimo, a club in the Portuguese league, and Modibo Diakite – a 26-year old centre back – joins the club from Lazio.
Lastly, midfielder Adilson Tavares Varela (aka Cabral) joins from FC Basel.
- Sunderland have signed Valentin Roberge, Cabral and Modibo Diakite — Sky Sports
- Sunderland hire Serie A pair to complete all-Italian scouting team — The Telegraph
- Iago Aspas in Liverpool for medical ahead of £7.7m move from Celta Vigo – The Guardian
- Mario Gomez vs. Roberto Soldado: Which striker is best for Tottenham Hotspur? — SB Nation
- Sunderland hire Roberto De Fanti as director of football — Sky Sports
- Martin Skrtel future to be decided as agent jets in for crunch talks with Liverpool — Independent
- Eric Cantona name not allowed to be printed under new Man Utd kit collar — The Mail
- Harry Redknapp insists he plans to stay at QPR despite speculation about his future — Sky Sports
- Alessandro Rosina wanted by Sunderland if Stephane Sessegnon leaves — The Mail
- José Mourinho returns to Chelsea: the first press conference transcript — The Guardian
- West Ham have launched a new microsite dedicated to the Club’s move to Olympic Stadium — West Ham
- Jose Mourinho’s backroom coaching team at Chelsea — The Daily Mail
- Mourinho has shelved Chelsea’s bid for Schurrle until he has assessed De Bruyne — The Sun
- Mourinho says John Terry will stay as Chelsea’s club captain — BBC Sport
- Everton’s Finch Farm was sold to Liverpool City Council last month for £12.9m — ToffeeWeb
- Aston Villa’s Shay Given interested in loan move ‘home’ to first club Celtic — The Mirror
- Man United reject £6.5m offer from Galatasaray for Nani as Doncaster eye Nick Powell — Mail
- Sheffield United appoint Everton coach David Weir as manager — The Independent
- Brighton have lifted Taricco’s suspension but continuing inquiry into Poyet & Oatway — Sky Sports
- Derby complete the signing of Dundee United striker Johnny Russell for around £750k — BBC Sport
- Clubs press League to act on safe-standing trials — The Independent
- Noel Hunt to join Leeds with Brian McDermott also hopeful of signing Stephen Hunt — The Mail
- Real Madrid sign Casemiro from Sao Paolo after activating his €6m release clause — 101GG
- Real Betis have signed Denmark goalkeeper Stephan Andersen on a two-year contract — NY Times
- Lazio stage mock funeral procession for Roma after beating them in Coppa Italia final — Dirty Tackle
Scottish Premier League
- Ireland will play young side against Spain — The Mail
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.