WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

EPL Talk is Now World Soccer Talk; Why We’ve Made The Change

world soccer talk EPL Talk is Now World Soccer Talk; Why Weve Made The Change

Ladies and gentlemen, EPL Talk is now World Soccer Talk.

I’ve decided to rebrand EPL Talk to a name that is more appropriate to the breadth of soccer coverage that we’re bringing you.

Several months ago, an executive at a major TV soccer network in the United States mentioned to me that he was interested to seeing what the next chapter EPL Talk would evolve into. It was a comment made in passing, but it stuck with me and made me think long and hard about the site’s future.

Without telling him anything, I had the same question in my mind. With the growth of the Premier League globally and nationwide, the amount of news, analysis, podcasts and video coverage had grown by incredible leaps and bounds since the time when EPL Talk started it in 2005. It’s harder to differentiate when everyone else is doing the same thing.

But where I believe EPL Talk stands apart is its independent coverage of the world’s game. Since we’re not part of a mainstream company, we don’t have to be fearful about what we write. We don’t have to brown nose soccer federations in order to make sure we don’t lose media access or credentials. We can be opinionated when we want without fear of reprisals. Bottom line, we can speak our mind. We are soccer fans just like you. And that’s where I see the difference.

Over time, our interests have changed. In 2005 when EPL Talk launched, the amount of soccer coverage on television was tiny in comparison to today. Nowadays, we can watch live matches from all of the major soccer leagues around the world, so having a name like EPL Talk is too limiting. If we want to cover the World Cup, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup, Champions League or other cups or tournaments (or leagues), we can now more easily do so with the World Soccer Talk name instead of EPL Talk.

Let me be the first to say, though, the quantity and quality of Premier League coverage that you’ve been accustomed to from EPL Talk won’t change. We’re still going to be covering the league as we have always done in the past, and the majority of articles will still be EPL-focused.

The only difference is that when there are topics from other leagues or tournaments that we feel are worth covering, we’ll write about them. We’ve already been doing that in the past few months under the EPL Talk name with articles about Real Madrid’s new kit, coverage of the all-German final in the Champions League, news about new teams in Major League Soccer, open threads for the games featuring the US Men’s National Team, etc.

If you look at the navigation bar at the top of the page, there’s a drop down for ‘Leagues,’ which includes news and articles for many of the top leagues from around the world. Instead of having the seven sites in the EPL Talk network before, we’ve consolidated all of the sites (BundesligaTalk.com, ChampionshipTalk.com, ChampionsLeagueTalk.com, LaLigaTalk.com, MajorLeagueSoccerTalk.com and SerieATalk.com) into one, World Soccer Talk.

Two more things. First, the EPL Talk Podcast will remain the same. Once the new season is getting ready to kick off, we’ll be back. That won’t change. And second, we have more exciting developments to share with you, but we’ll announce those as soon as they’re ready, but rest assured, they’ll be developments that you’ll be very excited to see.

Thanks everyone for your loyalty and patience, and feel free to post your feedback (as always) in the comments section below.

48 Responses to EPL Talk is Now World Soccer Talk; Why We’ve Made The Change

1. tjgaff says:

Looking forward to the natural progression that will keep the site first rate. Thanks for your work on this endeavor.

Always lurking and appreciating!

2. Donaldinho says:

Congrats on the switch! Definitely makes sense– I too have found that my own fandom and interest in soccer has expanded from being very EPL-focused to being much broader over the past 5-6 years. I look forward to your wider coverage of the world game.

3. Matt says:

I said it on Facebook and I will say it again here: congrats! You guys do great work and I am looking forward to the changes that come.

What about the TV Schedule for US Viewers? I use that a lot and I hope it sticks around and grows to include ALL soccer on tv…now that would be something…

4. Adam Heap says:

Can I suggest a World Soccer Talk forum? I know we can reply to articles on the website but a forum might be more conducive to discussion and could be a great way to encourage a growing community.

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks Adam. I’ll consider it. We’ve had it in the past, but it didn’t work out too well. But I’ll think about it. Thanks again for the suggestion.

5. Eplnfl says:

Well done Chris. A deserved name change based on merit.

My only question is do I change my nickname to WSTNFL?

Lou Bruno

• AtlantaPompey says:

Change it. Come on, you know you want to.

• Eplnfl says:

I do actually. But I am conflicted. I will have to sleep on it.

• The Gaffer says:

Lou, I think you’ll always be EPLNFL to me!

• Eplnfl says:

The Gaffer knows best. It stays EPLNFL.

Every time Chris makes changes to the site I being the creature of habit that I am say please no. I will not say that this time because he has always been right about things.

That’s why he is the Gaffer.

6. Guy says:

Great move, Chris. As the varied posts on stories have made evident, many of us have expanded our soccer interests beyond the EPL. The Prem will always be my primary interest, but I’m glad to see your expansion matching my own. With the EPL being such an international league it just makes sense.

7. jtm371 says:

I still think NBC is going to scoop you up in someway.I hope i’m right because you put in a lot of time and sweat to this site.I hope NBC won’t change you or the site.I think you know all the best.

8. gillyrosh says:

Fantastic! Looking forward to more great coverage from the site!

9. Smokey Bacon says:

Congratulations Gaffer! Smart move that reflects the growth of this site. One of the few places I go for my soccer fix and the place if I want to know what is going on with tv coverage in the United States. A fun place to debate with other like minded fans. While we may not always agree, we all live the game.

Onwards and upwards. Next stop, World Soccer Talk TV on NBC. It will be miles better than the Locker Room on BEin.

10. John Culea says:

Good decision. Just make sure you give the Premier League more coverage than the rest.

11. K Riz says:

Gaffer!

Digital high five! http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/high-five.jpg

Did you guys you ever consider Worldfootballtalk(dot)com?

After watching Green Street Hooligans last night (for the fist time mind you, via your site’s best football movies list) it seems as though the word “soccer” might actually get you maimed in the UK.

Awesome movie btw. Frodo killed it.

Congrats, amigo!

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately Worldfootballtalk.com is taken, but I really like the WorldSoccerTalk.com domain name.

12. Brn442 says:

Good for you Gaffer. I’ve always felt bad about not visiting “Serie A, Liga Talk etc” as often as I should. Now it’s not a problem.

13. CTBlues says:

I was wondering if you were going to do this once you started covering MLS and US on EPLTalk, but EPLTalk was a brand just changing it seems a bit risky. You don’t see any of the college conferences changing their names because they changed the number of members. I hope this re-branding works out for you though.

14. Frill Artist says:

I liked this site because of the EPL focused news and I hope that doesn’t change. I figure over time just by looking at the traffic on each article, you’ll see this anyway.

15. Wongo1 says:

Now if only you had a United fan to balance the Chelsea nutter and the Man City nutter that would be brilliant.

I am tired of hearing how United only wins things because they are lucky etc. We win because we are United and it is what we do. GGMU!!!

• K Riz says:

Always wanted to ask audited fan about this. How is Johnny Evans a regular on that team? For real, I just don’t get it. Manu have an awesome team, but he simply doesn’t seem on par with the rest of the blokes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I truly don’t get what JE brings to the table. Just a random – totally bored with summer already question I thought I’d lob out there. Any thoughts?

• Marc L says:

I think we have a good Spurs nutter (only respect, Dust). The real need I think is for a Liverpool nutter and Arsenal Nutter as far as the top of the table clubs go.

• Guy says:

Wongo, you could be that man! ;-)

• Nick says:

I would like to offer my services as nutter of the highest bidding club. I like to believe I’m quite good at nutting it up.

• WSTbloke says:

Maybe because its true? Think about it…

16. Rick says:

Great stories- keep up the good work and thnks for the expanded coverage.

17. Marc L says:

Best of luck Gaffer. Top site. I think most folks who follow the EPL are interested in what happens in other leagues/competitions to begin with, so it makes sense.

18. Dan says:

Looking forward to it

Please keep up the TV schedule. It’s absurdly useful and keeps me checking the site every weekend to see what games are on

• The Gaffer says:

No worries, the TV schedule will stay. I’m not planning on any changes to that for the foreseeable future. Glad it can be of use!

19. christian says:

I look forward to seeing and hearing all the new content. I’ve learned a lot from this site and am sure to learn more going forward. Cheers.

20. Gus says:

Let’s be honest. The name change is to allow coverage of other leagues and tournaments Gus Johnson might be covering for Fox. Kind of hard to bash Gus covering the World Cup when it is EPL Talk….

21. Bergkamp_10 says:

Gaffer, you site has give me a chance to share my passion for the beautiful game and I will continue to do so.

Name change also sounds logical. Good luck.

22. John Sandton says:

Congratulations on the change ! Your work is brilliant and appreciated by all football fans . I am just wondering what the implications will be for the podcast . Will the name of the podcast change to the world soccer talk podcast ? Will you be getting experts in other leagues to contribute more towards the podcast, particularly as next season will be the season during which build up to the world cup begins .

• The Gaffer says:

The EPL Talk Podcast will remain the same, focused 100% on the Premier League. We have some other exciting changes in store for the other leagues. More details to come later this summer.

23. Cfctys says:

Good move Gaffer.I have been a long time reader and not very active in posting. I hope (know this will )this work out for you. Will you have a drop down box under TV Schedule for other leagues?
    I would like to get to South Florida ond day and have a chat with you.When I was a kid I loved to go to the Gower on holidays. Laugharne and Pendine were also faves.
    Again best wishes for a great future.
    Phil

• The Gaffer says:

Not sure about TV schedules for other leagues. The MLS one, just as an example, is so complex with a ton of regional TV stations, etc. But I’ll think about it.

Ah, I spent many lovely summers in Pendine. And I so want to go back to Laugharne. I’m originally from Llandeilo, so it’s not too far away. If you make it down to South Florida, let me know and we’ll have a pint together.

24. Rob Donnelly says:

I’ve read this site every day for 5 years and have to thank The Gaffer for spreading the word of the game that i love. I hope NBC does snap you up mate, you deserve it for all of the hard work you’ve put in. This is my first ever post, i just felt compelled to let you know!!!

25. Mufc77 says:

Good luck gaffer I hope it turns out to be a great success.