MON, 3PM ET
HUL2
WHU2
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BVB
ARS
TUES, 2:45PM ET
LIV
LUD
TUES, 2:45PM ET
REAL
BAS
TUES, 2:45PM ET
ATL
OLY
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV
MAL

Everton Says Deal for Roberto Martinez Not Done Yet; Discussions Still Continuing

everton goodison road Everton Says Deal for Roberto Martinez Not Done Yet; Discussions Still Continuing

Everton Football Club has hit back at reports that the club are close to announcing a deal to unveil Roberto Martinez as their next manager.

On Monday afternoon, according to Wigan owner Dave Whelan, the club had agreed a compensation fee with Everton for the release of Roberto Martinez from his contract. However, Whelan’s statement looks to be premature according to a club statement from Everton.

“In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton Football Club are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position.

“Whilst positive moves are being made, the Club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed.

Reading between the lines, Everton are not happy that Whelan decided to speak with Sky Sports regarding the negotiations. Whether Martinez is the sole candidate being considered, it’s unclear. But it’s quite possible that Everton may still be discussing the vacant manager position with someone else in addition to Martinez. Otherwise, why would the club issue the statement at this point in time?

This entry was posted in Everton, Leagues: EPL, roberto martinez. Bookmark the permalink.

About Christopher Harris

Founder and publisher of World Soccer Talk, Christopher Harris is the managing editor of the site. He has been interviewed by The New York Times, The Guardian and several other publications. Plus he has made appearances on NPR, BBC World, CBC, BBC Five Live, talkSPORT and beIN SPORT. Harris, who has lived in Florida since 1984, has supported Swansea City since 1979. He's also an expert on soccer in South Florida, and got engaged during half-time of a MLS game. Harris launched EPL Talk in 2005, which was rebranded as World Soccer Talk in 2013.
View all posts by Christopher Harris →

2 Responses to Everton Says Deal for Roberto Martinez Not Done Yet; Discussions Still Continuing

  1. Pakapala says:

    “Everton may still be discussing the vacant manager position with someone else in addition to Martinez. Otherwise, why would the club issue the statement at this point in time?”

    Maybe for the simple reason that they put in their statement. There’s no signature done yet. Agreement doesn’t mean much if contracts are not signed. Wheelan’s statement is what it is there’s an agreement between the 2 clubs. However Everton and Martinez have not made official (pen to paper) their deal.

  2. Mekias says:

    I’m pretty sure Martinez is still the guy. Everton just didn’t like Whelan trumping their big announcement. They may still be ironing out the contract but that’s likely just a formality.

    Martinez is a good choice. There may have been better choices out there but I didn’t have much faith that Kenwright would have been able to get one of them. Like others, I’m interested to see how a more attacking style manager will transform Everton. I’m also worried that he’ll screw up our defense.

    That all being said, I like Martinez a lot as a person. He’s really engaging. That’s one thing he has in common with Moyes. I think I like Moyes and Martinez better as people and characters than I do as football managers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>