Sunderland’s Paolo Di Canio Slams ‘Arrogant, Ignorant’ Players: The Nightly EPL
Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio was back on the warpath again after today’s 1-0 loss to Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.
Di Canio says that the levels of “arrogance” and “ignorance” are worse than those he encountered at Swindon Town. The Sunderland boss didn’t mince his words as he complained about the poor discipline at the club.
He said he was incandescent after he saw photos of Phil Bardsley lying on a casino floor covered in £50 notes. The manager says that Bardsley has played his last match for Sunderland.
Di Canio also said he fined seven of his players last week who breached his code of conduct.
“This week, there have been seven fined and this morning, once again … a player that I could not involve in the squad for a different reason decided: ‘I don’t train today,’” said Di Canio. “He said he had food poisoning. He made the diagnosis. Sorry, are you the doctor? The doctor tried to contact him. Three hours, he switched off his telephone. This is the situation at Sunderland.”
Di Canio’s tough discipline is just what Sunderland needs. Let’s hope the board gets behind him and gives him the support (and funds) to help turn this team around next season.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Paolo Di Canio criticises ‘pathetic’ behavior — BBC Sport
- The second coming of Mourinho will be a reunion that can only end in tears — The Independent
- Mark Halsey retires from professional refereeing — Sky Sports
- John Terry wears full kit after Chelsea v Everton — The Mail
- Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher bids an emotional farewell to Anfield — The Telegraph
- André Villas-Boas urges Tottenham board to strengthen in the summer — The Guardian
- Rafael Benitez tips Chelsea successor to win the Premier League — The Telegraph
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.