Despite being the victim of a lot of hate from Chelsea supporters during his seven months in charge as manager of Chelsea, Rafa Benitez has overcome adversities from his own supporters to lift the Europa League trophy and end Chelsea’s season on a high with the club’s home game against Everton on Sunday, where the club needs just a draw to finish in third place.
In a show of support for their manager, Chelsea footballers have come out and asked fans to call a truce with Benitez and show him support on Sunday when the club conduct a lap of honor around the pitch at the end of the match.
Petr Cech said:
“It is up to the fans to decide but he has done enough to show what he can do. He came here to try to win trophies and do as best he could — and he did that. It is up to everyone to decide what reception he will get on Sunday.
Gary Cahill agreed with Cech:
“Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but you can’t really knock what he has done and we have finished strongly over the last couple of months.”
And Frank Lampard summed up the mood in the Chelsea camp by saying:
“Success is driven by a team effort and it is the entire team and management team that need to take credit for what we have overcome and achieved this season and I am sure that the fans, as always, will celebrate that success with us, team and manager alike.”
What do you think Chelsea supporters? If you’re a Blues fan, have you changed your opinion on Benitez, and do you think he should be applauded on Sunday at Stamford Bridge? Share your opinion in the comments section below.
Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:
- Chelsea’s players want fans to call a truce with Rafael Benitez — Evening Standard
- Andre Villas-Boas says Chelsea will win the Premier League next season — The Mail
- Andreas Weimann’s agent has cast doubt over the striker’s future at Aston Villa — Sky Sports
- Aston Villa set for pre-season trip to Germany ahead of new term — Aston Villa FC
- Callum McManaman out of England’s U21 European Championship due to injury — The Mail
- Michu’s player of the year crown ends a golden season at Swansea City — This Is South Wales
- Axed Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has not ruled out a move to Napoli — Sky Sports
- David Beckham earnings expected to rocket following retirement from football — The Independent
- Premier League thrives on stories not quality. This imbalance has to change — The Telegraph
- Hodgson names England squad for Ireland and Brazil matches — This Is Derbyshire
- David Moyes pays tribute to the players he’s managed at Everton — The Independent
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.