Newcastle United Prepare Shock Bid for Wayne Rooney: The Daily EPL
Newcastle United are preparing a shock bid for Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney, according to a report on the website of Newcastle’s owner, Sports Direct.
Here’s what a source close to the negotiations has said:
“Newcastle see Wayne as their ideal player. He’s a strong centre-forward, would relate to the fans and would be a massive boost to the club’s brand name.
“Low-level conversations have already been held between Newcastle and Rooney’s agent, though the two clubs haven’t spoken directly yet.”
When Rooney was at Everton, Newcastle United tried to buy the striker who decided to snub Newcastle for Manchester United instead. Now it could be a perfect opportunity for Rooney to head to the north east where he’d be welcomed by the supporters, and would make a big impact on the Newcastle side for next season.
What do you think? Can Newcastle United afford Rooney? And even if they could, could Rooney be a success on Tyneside? Or do you think he’s better off making up with Manchester United and staying with the champions? Let us know your opinions in the comments section below.
Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:
- Newcastle United prepare shock bid for Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney — Sports Direct
- Rio Ferdinand retires from international duty — The Independent
- Frank Lampard admits: Chelsea have not practiced penalties for Europa League final — The Star
- Arsenal welcome Galatasaray, Napoli and Porto to 2013 Emirates Cup — Arsenal FC
- Why Wigan need Roberto Martínez system to get back into Premier League — The Guardian
- Newcastle’s Ryan Taylor will travel to USA to undergo career-saving surgery — Sky Sports
- Jamie Carragher promised there will always be a job for him at Liverpool — The Independent
- Swansea’s Dwight Tiendalli set for contract talks — Sky Sports
- Roberto Martinez refuses to discuss future amid Everton speculation — The Independent
- Alan Curtis: Laudrup’s Swansea team have outdone Toshack’s side — This Is South Wales
- BT Sport the upstarts who can put Gary Lineker and co in their place — The Guardian
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.