John Terry Wears Chelsea Kit And Steals Limelight In Europa League Win: The Nightly EPL
Despite all of the credit that Chelsea — their footballers and manager — deserve after Wednesday night’s triumphant win in the UEFA Europa League, John Terry stole many of the headlines by lifting the trophy alongside Frank Lampard.
That Terry decided to lift the trophy with Lampard wasn’t the main issue. Before the game, it was publicly announced that if Chelsea won the game that Lampard and Terry would lift the cup even though Terry was suffering from an injury.
However, the main criticism Terry received was on social media, where people were outraged that Terry disrobed from his tracksuit to reveal his Chelsea kit underneath, as if he had played in the game. And second, Terry was criticized because even though he shared the emotional moment of lifting the trophy with Lampard, viewers were clearly able to see Terry but Lampard — the star of the night in many ways — was practically hidden by the other players who were trying to get their hands on the silverware.
What are your thoughts on the matter? Are you outraged? Should Terry have walked up to share the trophy but wore a suit like Eden Hazard did? Or did John Terry deserve to be up there with his teammates wearing the blue and white kit of Chelsea FC? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Paolo Di Canio threatens to cut short Sunderland players’ summer break — The Guardian
- Benitez declares himself proud of his spell at Stamford Bridge — BBC Sport
- Pressure from Chelsea’s Oscar and Ramires causes Benfica to buckle | Michael Cox — The Guardian
- Roy Hodgson wants to give controversial Ashley Cole captain’s role — The Independent
- Sports Direct sorry for web story linking Newcastle with Wayne Rooney — The Guardian
- Manchester City plan bigger Etihad but wait for Manuel Pellegrini — The Independent
- Fulham say Martin Jol will stay as club prepares for squad overhaul — The Guardian
- Roy Hodgson considering making Wayne Rooney England’s captain for friendlies — The Independent
- Carragher: my biggest regret is not winning the Premier League title with Liverpool — Telegraph
- Manchester City get rid of Mancini’s coaching staff — Manchester City FC
- Mario Balotelli not surprised Manchester City sacked Roberto Mancini — The Independent
- Richard Scudamore takes big stick to Championship over parachute money — The Guardian
- Win a 1984 Liverpool European Cup Final shirt with your own name and number on — EOTK
- Roberto Martínez to let Wigan know of plans after visit of Aston Villa — The Guardian
- Ferguson warns Moyes to expect some bad times as Manchester United boss — Independent
- Wayne Routledge set to be handed senior England chance — The Guardian
- EA kills its controversial Online Pass program — Venture Beat
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.