On the eve of captaining Chelsea in a major European final, Frank Lampard is understood to have agreed a one-year deal to remain at Stamford Bridge until the end of the 2013-14 season.
The news will be music to the ears of Chelsea supporters and neutral fans who admire the work ethic and professionalism that Lampard displays. While he isn’t expected to be starting every game next season with so much depth at the club, Lampard is understood to have agreed a financial pay cut to stay at the club instead of taking up an offer to join Major League Soccer.
Lampard will captain Chelsea in Amsterdam tomorrow against Benfica in the Europa League Final (which, for US viewers, will be televised live on FOX Soccer).
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Frank Lampard agrees one-year deal to remain at Stamford Bridge — The Telegraph
- Frank Lampard to captain Chelsea against Benfica in Europa League final — The Guardian
- Chelsea want option to sign Lewandowski should they sell De Bruyne to Dortmund — Standard
- Alan Hansen is expected to leave Match of the Day and the BBC — The Mail
- Wayne Rooney transfer deal is of no interest to us, say Bayern Munich — The Guardian
- David Moyes has agreed not to try and take Everton stars Baines and Fellaini to United — ToffeeWeb
- Callum McManaman a doubt for England U-21s after stretchered off — The Independent
- Esteban Granero does not want to play for QPR in the Championship — Evening Standard
- Clint Dempsey has declared himself satisfied with his first season at White Hart Lane — Sky Sports
- Premier League kit deals reach record high — FC Business
- Mark Gower has ended his five-year spell with Swansea City — Swans Blog
- Norwich City sign Javier Garrido on permanent deal — Norwich City FC
- Fulham ponder Gus Poyet with Martin Jol under threat — The Telegraph
- Europa League: Rafael Benitez plotting Chelsea leaving present — BBC Sport
- David Platt follows Mancini out of exit door after resigning — The Guardian
- Aston Villa’s Darren Bent braced for talks with Paul Lambert — The Telegraph
- Darren Bent looks certain to leave Aston Villa this summer — The Guardian
- Blackburn v Old Etonians football programme sells for world record £35,250 — The Mirror
- ESPN to show World Cup highlights on Twitter in near real-time — Mashable
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.