MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SHA0
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

barcelona bayern munich Barcelona vs Bayern Munich, UEFA Champions League Semi Final 2nd Leg: Open Thread

Barcelona enter their home cauldron of Camp Nou today on a mission impossible, to try to overturn a 4-0 deficit to advance to the final of the 2012-13 UEFA Champions League Final.

If Barcelona wins on aggregate today, it’ll be one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the Champions League against a team that is firing on all cylinders and ready to take the crown as the best team in the world. As a result, this match could end up being a dead rubber or one of the most entertaining and open matches we’ve seen in years.

For viewers in the United States, the match will be televised live on FX starring the one-and-only Gus Johnson as commentator alongside Ian Wright. The match will also be shown live on FOX Soccer 2Go with a choice of two different commentaries — the world feed or the Gus Johnson feed.

Barcelona starting XI: Valdés; Alves, Piqué, Bartra, Adriano; Song, Xavi, Iniesta; Pedrito, Fabregas, Villa.

Messi starts on the bench.

Bayern Munich starting XI: Neuer, Lahm, Boateng, VanBuyten, Alaba, Robben, Javi Martinez, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Mandzukic

Before, during or after today’s match, join the conversation in the comments section below with football supporters from around the world.

This entry was posted in Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Leagues: EPL, UEFA Champions League. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Barcelona vs Bayern Munich, UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg: Open Thread

1. The American Voice of Soccer says:

Game day! It’s so great to be back amongst some of the best fans in the world. I appreciate the suggestions that you have been giving me here on EPL Talk. I have taken them to heart and have been working extra hard. Because of your thoughtfulness, I have a surprise for you. I have worked on a version in deutsch (that’s German for those of you that are linguistically challenged) of this:

I can’t wait for Bayren to score so that I can break it out. I’ve been told that I have pretty good pipes…just like Eddie Cantor.

Hey, did you guys happen to notice that there are two German clubs and two Spanish clubs in the semi-finals. That is way too cool. Does that mean that only fans from Las Leagua and the Bumbasleagua really care who wins? I’m pulling for Barka. I love Messy. He is sooo cute.

2. anon says:

Well, it only took the “voice of American football” 20 seconds to flub his lines-”Athletico Bilbao” multiple times. What was the over/under on how long it would take him to make a commentary mistake this game? One minute? I’m insulted that American viewers have to put up with this nonsense.

3. Marc L says:

I think I’m coming around on Gus. Around to the point of view that I actually want to listen to him just to make fun of how bad he is.

Can’t wait to see what a pronunciation mess he makes of Catalan names like Puyol, Pique and Busquets.

Well most people would screw those up, but most people aren’t paid to broadcast matches involving them, so there is that.

4. San Franciscan says:

Oh dear, I know the match will be overlooked by this guy.

5. San Franciscan says:

I’m sure Gus doesn’t know what a back pass means.

• De Selby says:

he doesn’t. he’s also already misidentified one team, two players, made no note of mandzukic losing the ball under no pressure, and brought out his patented “crosses over” which makes literally no sense.

6. De Selby says:

ten minutes in and gus is having a shocker already. absolutely brutal.

7. tbizzle says:

Anyone catch that he didn’t know what a back pass was?

8. Pete says:

Just want to say I’m enjoying watching the Tyler/Neville feed on FoxSoccer2Go. But I’m also enjoying refreshing this page to read about all the “Gus Gaffes”.

9. kingtut says:

Watching the game now Johnston is just truly awful. I’m sure he’s a nice guy but I loathe him and more so the d**khead suits who appointed him – who clearly have no appreciation for the finer aspects of the beautiful game – just can’t stand listening to his mindless drivel. His ignorance of the game is astounding.

10. De Selby says:

gus johnson has just discovered a new country!! apparently the referee is from “Slovania”.

11. anon says:

Gus should just play FIFA 13 to prep for his match commentary, at least he’d learn how to pronounce the player’s names correctly, and it can’t be any worse than what he’s doing now.

12. steve says:

This broadcast is pure comedy. Can’t remember the last movie I saw that made me laugh so much

13. Kevan says:

“Ee-in-esta!” God, Gus keeps doing it.

14. Pete says:

Note to Gaffer:

You may have to have an alternate “Gus Johnson Open Thread” when he’s broadcasting Champions League.

No one on here is actually talking about the two teams or the match. Haha.

15. Steve says:

I’m sorry but I can’t listen to Gus & Ian anymore. Gaffer, please let Fox know the experiment has been a failure. Bring back Martin Tyler & Gary Neville for the CL final.

16. Evan says:

Why not give Gus the QPR-Reading game to practice, instead of ONE OF THE BIGGEST GAMES OF THE YEAR?

• San Franciscan says:

You forgot that we’re dealing with Fox here.

• Pete says:

Evan, this actually started with the United-Madrid first leg. He’s been handed nothing but big games.

• Evan says:

Oh I know. It’s a baffling decision. I think it takes more to commentate on lesser-profile games. Any 12 year old in England could do any of the games Gus has done. Everyone knows everything about those players.

17. The American Voice of Soccer says:

Hi guys and girl. Just checking in at half time. I am so glad that you are enjoying the broadcast.

I just Googled “back pass” and now I am really confused:

Backward Pass

Any pass not forward is regarded as a backward pass. A pass parallel to the line is a backward pass. A runner may pass backward at any time.
    A backward pass that strikes the ground can be recovered and advanced by either team.
    A backward pass caught in the air can be advanced by either team.
    A backward pass in flight may not be batted forward by an offensive player.

So, if I understand correctly on a back pass a player can catch the ball? That’s weird.

Any way, I guess that I will have to give myself a yellow card on that one. I had better watch out, if I get another one Ian will be on his own.

Ha, ha, ha. Gussie made a soccer joke.

18. RBP says:

Robben doing what he does best, great shot. 1-0.

19. San Franciscan says:

Damn it, the moment Robben scored I missed it. (Had a phone call)

20. Pete says:

At some point someone will post Martin Tyler’s call of Robben’s goal and we’ll be able to compare it with Gus.

Tyler was composed and described it as a “wonderful goal” and went on to talk about Robben’s connections to Real Madrid.

I’m not watching the FX feed, but I imagine there was plenty of nonsensical screaming coming from Gus.

21. Mufc77 says:

Are Barca usually this ordinary without Messi?

• Pete says:

Mufc77, I think it’s Bayern. They made Barca look ordinary in the first leg. I’m actually stunned. Barca have been dominated over the two legs. I really can’t remember a great chance coming from Barca.

I’m hoping this final isn’t going to be one-sided. Bayern look a force.

• Evan says:

I’d agree with Pete. Bayern have been absolutely quality. I mean, where is the weakness in the team? Maybe David Alaba? But I still think he would get into most teams in the world, and he’s only 18.

22. Fsquid says:

Robben, DAGGER!!!

23. Ry_Mar says:

I’m not a huge Ian Wright fan, but he’d be new hero if he’d just pause, just once and tell Johnson how to say Iniesta. It’s not hard.

Ey-in-nesta? Sigh.

24. RBP says:

Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta not on the pitch. Wonder how long it’s been since that happened for Barca.

25. Anthony says:

Well at least Gus knows how old everyone is hahaha

26. Pete says:

I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can wait to open my presents in the Christmas morning.

The anticipation of Gaffer’s Gus Recap article complete with the smiling Gus pic is driving me crazy!

Will it be the Gus standing in front of the Fox logo OR the Gus wearing the Chelsea kit?

27. Evan says:

He just said “Wow!!!” to an own goal.

28. BD says:

In all seriousness people, lay off Gus. He’s trying his best. If you don’t like it, do what I do. Shut off the sound and listen to the Benny Hill theme song while watching the game. Way more enjoyable.

29. Scrumper says:

Barcelona won a corner!

30. Guy says:

How can this numpty not know basic terminology like “goal difference”? Absolutely useless.

• Evan says:

I think he’d get more leeway if he at least used the right terminology. It just comes off as arrogant to not even do enough research to find out what those words mean.

31. De Selby says:

pique scored an “on goal” according to mr. johnson.

just an unbelievable, useless jag.

32. San Franciscan says:

Dortmund will play Bayern this saturday i the Bundesliga.

33. Scrumper says:

The difference between Gus and a garden shovel?

A shovel is useful.

34. San Franciscan says:

And here we go with Rob Stone calling Muller Meuller.

35. The American Voice of Soccer says:

Hi guys…I just wanted to apologize for the broadcast today. I know that I had promised my new goal song if Bayren scored. I was all ready but the music director kept keying up “The Benny Hill Show” theme instead of “Eye of the Tiger” and messed everything up. We will get this problem straightened out for the final.

Other than that, it was a great broadcast. I think my best thus far. I am really enjoying your positive comments. Makes me want to keep working hard so that I don’t let you down.

Alfveedersayin. (Getting ready for the final, already!)

36. Sammy says:

I hate Barca and of course I’m delighted about the result, but I do feel a bit sad for them now, especially after seeing the sad faces of their fans. Don’t know why, maybe it’s human compassion?

As for the final, I think Bayern should win it.

37. tbizzle says:

I don’t like excuse Johnson by saying he is in the learning process. An announcer should have been following the sport for a long time before announcing at this level so as to have internalized the ebb and flow of the game, how everything from the rules to the club system works, etc. This is not possible in a matter of a few practice games. He will not be ready for the world cup in the sense that a soccer fan would want him to be ready.