Sir Alex Ferguson Hails Robin van Persie’s ‘Goal of the Century’: The Nightly EPL
Sir Alex Ferguson considers Robin van Persie’s second goal for Manchester United tonight as a “goal of the Century.”
Here’s what Ferguson said about van Persie and the goal:
“It was goal of the century for me. It was marvellous – the technique with his head down, over the ball and just perfect timing. It was a magnificent strike. He scored exactly the same goal against Arsenal. He is in his mature years and winning the league tonight meant a lot to him.
“When you identify a great player coming to the end of his contract, you go for him no matter who. In terms of impact he has made as big an impact as any player I can imagine. [Eric] Cantona was an incredible impact player, I’ve had some great strikers, maybe 10 great strikers. We had an expectation of him. He was sensational last year, but Arsène [Wenger] said he was better than I’d think after I’d done the deal and he was right. He has never disappointed us. He has been unbelievable, his early form was fantastic. He had a dry spell, as most strikers do, but he has come back from that and he was unbelievable tonight.”
Here’s a video clip of van Persie’s second goal:
While there’s no doubt it was spectacular, do you consider it as good as Ferguson says it was? Or have you seen better? Let us know in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Sir Alex Ferguson hails Robin van Persie’s ‘goal of the century’ — The Guardian
- What’s so impressive is how Man Utd refuse to let anyone else dominate English game — The Independent
- Sir Alex Ferguson hails Robin van Persie as the new Eric Cantona — The Telegraph
- Liverpool risking reputation with reaction to Luis Suárez bite controversy — The Guardian
- Man United win 20th English title to close gap on Liverpool trophy record — Sporting Intelligence
- Alex Ferguson’s impossible dream will herald new Manchester United future — The Guardian
- Tactics column: The Olivier Giroud dependency — Arseblog
- Adidas’s criticism of Liverpool’s Luis Suárez could hit where it hurts — The Guardian
- Alan Pardew is hoping to have Fabricio Coloccini back from injury before end of season — Sky Sports
- Arsenal to appeal against Olivier Giroud’s red card for tackle — The Telegraph
- Fifa adviser resigns in dispute over ‘neutered’ reform proposals — BBC Sport
- Liverpool praised for handling of Suarez incident — FC Business
- Roy Hodgson suggests mid-season break for the Premier League — The Independent
- Yossi Benayoun angry at abuse from Chelsea fans — Evening Standard
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.