FRI, 2:30PM ET
MUFC
HULL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
CRY

Liverpool vs Chelsea and Tottenham vs Manchester City: Open Thread

fernando torres4 Liverpool vs Chelsea and Tottenham vs Manchester City: Open Thread

Today we have a treat of two matches where the results could have big consequences for the race for fourth place as well as, at a longshot, the race for the Premier League title.

With Arsenal getting four points from their last two matches, the Gunners are leapfrogged into third place in the table and are five points ahead of Tottenham Hotspur. With Gareth Bale expected to return to the Tottenham squad today, the Lilywhites have a lot of catch-up to do. Meanwhile, Manchester City will want to keep the pressure on Manchester United. City have an opportunity to close the gap between them and United to ten points, with Sir Alex Ferguson’s team playing Aston Villa tomorrow.

In the second match of the day, Rafa Benitez returns to his old stomping grounds as Chelsea take on Liverpool at Anfield. Just as Spurs want to close the gap with Arsenal, Chelsea have another opportunity to leapfrog over Arsenal in order to regain third place in the league. Liverpool, meanwhile, can close the gap with Everton above them from six points to three if the Reds can win today.

For viewers in the United States, visit our TV schedule to find out which games will be shown where at what time.

Join the conversation in the comments section below before, during or after today’s matches.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to Liverpool vs Chelsea and Tottenham vs Manchester City: Open Thread

1. Phil Badger says:

Can someone explain to me why Fox would make the 11 AM match (Liverpool-Chelsea) available on Fox Soccer to Go but not the Spurs-ManCity match? They’re both on the main Fox Soccer channel.

What gives Fox?

2. jtm371 says:

COYS put the boot to city! i think it will be a hard slog for the Spurs as they see their CL position slip away.

3. Pete says:

You don’t need to hit the language button on your tv for this match if you’re Arab. You can hear the Arab commentators screaming in the booth next to the English feed.

4. Phil Badger says:

when was the last time Gus Johnson called a match on Fox?

5. Guy says:

“Sumptuous”. I love it.

6. jtm371 says:

who is the color commentator on the English feed?

7. Marc L says:

Excellent defending in general by City. Slightly ragged after 40′ though. Bale can’t possibly be fully fit as he looks far less dangerous than usual.

Kompany and Nastasic excellent. Nastasic should be at least up for young player of the year, and I don’t say that out of bias.

Man, if I knew for certain that second was safe I’d want the Spurs to win. That is a club that really deserves to be on the UCL stage next year. Second probably is safe, as the run-in for City after this is not that difficult.

• jtm371 says:

Marc L
      where has this City team been all season?if they had played like this all season they would be closer or even in front of United.I know he is playing well but i don’t trust nasri i would try to move him over the summer.I agree with you about Nastasic,with him and Vinnie they are looking strong in the back four.

8. dano328 says:

I’ve muted and now listening to talksport delayed commentary

9. dano328 says:

Best outcome for Arsenal

Bet $20.00 to Win $72.00
    Bet ID:
    Pending
    Parlay (2 Teams)
    Sun, Apr 21, 2013 8:18 AM
    Chelsea @ Liverpool (Live Betting)
    Sun, Apr 21, 2013 11:00 AM
    Liverpool (Live Betting) (MoneyLine)
    +100
    Manchester City @ Tottenham (Live Betting)
    Sun, Apr 21, 2013 8:30 AM
    Manchester City (MoneyLine)
    +130

10. jtm371 says:

could be fun these last few minutes.i think Dust is at the match i thought he said he was going over this year.

11. dano328 says:

Talksport is 2 minutes behind TV. I heard the Dempsey goal two minutes before I saw it because of that TV feed

12. jtm371 says:

Spurs are on fire nice subs.the Monday coronation is back on track.10 minutes of hell for city.

13. jtm371 says:

I hope like hell Dust is their what a blitz of city.

• Dust says:

Alas No… No tickets available… Can’t justify the $2000 it cost in air fare to “scalp” a ticket.

I tried going through Thomas cook official spurs travel too and no luck…Sunderland could be on…well see when they go on sale.

A great game…

You must be happy about NFFC turn around…next season should be a good one for you with the right buys.

• jtm371 says:

Dust
        yeah i got sucked in thinking maybe sneak in to the playoffs this year but their not ready.When you can’t beat Barnsley at home your not ready for the next step.Hope Billy D will get to spend some pounds need some scoring help.

14. Guy says:

So I leave the room for a few minutes……geez!

15. dano328 says:

Spurs fans may actually start loving Dempsey now.

16. Scrumper says:

If Tottenham are going to salvage anything its got to be down the left wing. Why Holtby didn’t start is beyond me.

17. Mufc77 says:

Is it just me or did fox soccer get a new set.

• The Gaffer says:

Looks like the same set they use for Champions League and weekend Premier League matches.

18. Marc L says:

Well maybe after City drops 3 of the next 5 and ends up 5th I’ll be all gutted behind this. But for now I’m kind of glad to see the Spurs get the points.

Not that they are really going to drop 3 out of those next 5, but if your time as a football fan equates with “following City at any point prior to about 2010″ you expect these sort of thing to happen.

Hang in, Spurs! I know how you were feeling before that equalizer. Seeing ruin, out of the CL, Bale leaving. Have to admit I smiled when it went in. Hope those folks at the Club office don’t track me down and pull my membership card for hearing that.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I’d argue that Citeh are still the same old basket case club they’ve always been Marc. any glory hunters should beware of that despite the bottomless wallet which should guarantee you steamroll everything in your path. That’s not being derogatory, just from someone who remembers bouncing around the leagues with you (and loved visiting Maine Road, especially for night matches).

• Why? says:

Well if you’re talking about big spending City’s squad isn’t much different in fact costs less than its rivals i.e Chelsea and Utd so why would they be ‘steam rolling’ teams if those others aren’t? And they aren’t! your logic seems flawed on that surely? Also the wallet Your team stoke has opened since joining the premier league hasn’t exactly been small has it? Yet the are in a relegation scrap, they have spent more than most of the rest yet aren’t ‘steam rolling’ Swansea, Everton, west Brom and many more who have spent less.
        As for glory hunters stoke rarely managed an average of over 16k yet the minute they joined the premier league this shot up to 26k is that not fans drawn by the bright lights? I realise the media only highlights who they want making the not so clued up toe a line that’s never quiet right but make an easy target for green eyed out there. Indecently City’s average crowd in 2003 was 46,834 it is only a few hundred different now! I think people should actually look at their own short comings before calling others for what they perceive as theirs. Of course this isn’t meant to be derogatory either, just honest and factual. I too also remember bouncing around those leagues as I was there, along with 30k+ others week in week out and any investment they have attracted those fans more than deserve for the blind loyalty that made them strong again, many others cannot say the same!!

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Chill out! What I said wasn’t meant to be dismissive. Just that it’s not easy to be a City fan and if anyone’s new to it expect the unexpected. Jesus touchy aren’t we.

• Why? says:

I don’t need to ‘chill out’ LOL. I’m not hot or bothered just pointing out some things out that people don’t even seem to be bothered thinking about! I will say It doesn’t half get boring reading the same ill informed comments about squad costs, crowd size and glory hunting week after week especially by those who should know better. By the way it’s extremely easy to be a City fan please believe me in fact it’s a pleasure, was it always? Some times not but mostly yes what ever decade ;)

19. dano328 says:

Today will be the first time I ever root for Liverpool.

• jtm371 says:

dano328
      i think i will wear a mask so no one will no me when i cheer for pool.way to go SPURS nice fight back.

• dano328 says:

And I should know better than to wager on results that actually matter to me.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I tend to bet against my own team. If I win it stems the disappointment, if I lose I don’t mind because my team have won.

Listened to it on Talksport, fell asleep when Man City were in the lead, woke up and it was 3-1! David Ginola is in the studio for them and explained the fact this can happen when a result looks certain makes the English leagues different from most others.

20. Dust says:

Well well well…. What a result, city set up to counter, it took us 45 mins to get our rhythm back after we hadn’t played a game in 10 days.

3-1 a fair result.

Still can’t believe that not one of the 2 handballs in the pen were given… Not one penalty this season…

AVB reacted perfectly in the second half with his substitutions.

Out classedsmvini and city in the last 30.

A great result… Defies strike was unreal…bales finish was pure class…so much composure… Dempsey… What can you say… When you least expect it he pops up and got the ball rolling…frustrating player…but credit where credit is deserved a great goal to equalize a a good overall performance.

Vertonghen is mustard as is Démbèle, very happy for them all…AVB, Freund and co.

We all know that would NOT have happened under redknapp… On form city are the best team in the league…and we just. Won 3-1

COME ON YOU SPURS

• jtm371 says:

Dust
      i thought you were their.i remember you saying you were going to go over for a match thought it was the city match.oh well great result for your SPURS now tell me how we root for pool.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I’m a bit disappointed he wasn’t there now. Comebacks are my favourite type of victory.

• jtm371 says:

Ian
          that would have been great for him much better when your side comes back to win.nice win for your Potters yesterday your side is safe any predictions on what changes will come this summer?

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I’ll only be happy if we get 3 points next week. I think Pulis will be ousted but I haven’t heard about a replacement.

A mate of mine who’s a Liverpool fan has got tickets in an exec box, free food, drink and hotel up at St James Park next week. That’s a fair away day!

21. Why? says:

Well as long as Utd don’t lose to villa at home that doesn’t really matter for city but would be great to see spurs to Arsenals place in the CL take a bit of wind and cash out of their sails and give them a chance to catch up money wise

22. IanCransonsKnees says:

Can any of you give me advice on a trip I’m trying to plan? Want to do Santa Barbara and Vancouver, with a stop somewhere in between which so far is either Seattle or Portland.

Any recommendat

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Any recommendations on my mid point stop and things to do and see in general would be appreciated.

Ta

ICK

• jtm371 says:

Ian
        I would pick Seattle i am biased because that is where i grew up.Pike Place Market,Waterfront just down the hill from the Market Pioneer Square where the City started Boeing flight museum.how many days in midpoint location.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I reckon 4-5, either flying in to Vancouver or LA and travelling up or down the west coast. I’ve picked our hotel in Santa Barbara and decided we’ll hire one of your huge tanks and drive around from there. My missus has gone for Vancouver and we plan on doing some whale and bear watching up there. It’s just the middle stop we need to sort, it needs to include some visits to your fantastic micro-breweries!

How can you let Oscar score a header!

• jtm371 says:

Ian
        since your driving a day at Mt Rainer Nat Park would be worth the time.14K high snow capped mountain.i don’t think you have one of those in England.

23. Mufc77 says:

Are the chavs still singing champions of Europe?

24. Matt says:

90 seconds into the second half and Chelsea are suddenly clinging to this lead.

25. Smokey Bacon says:

Scousers cheering for Rafa. If the Rodgers experiment starts badly next season Benitez could be back at Anfield.

26. Guy says:

That was pretty.

27. Smokey Bacon says:

Suarez can’t help it. He just got confused and forgot what penalty area he was in.

28. dano328 says:

Why didn’t Sturidge start the game? Rogers will be asked. Beautiful goal and he has has a chip on his shoulder.

29. CTBlues says:

Is Suarez friends with Mike Tyson?

30. matt says:

Suarez just bit Ivanovic!!

Lengthy lengthy ban coming hopefully.

31. jtm371 says:

let me make this easy for all you pool fans saurez is a POS!last time i checked mature adults do not bite each other.banned for last 5 matches this year and first 5 next year what a dirt bag.

• Patrick says:

I am Liverpool fan and completely agree with you. As talented as he is, Saurez is a liability and a disgrace to the shirt. If he never plays again for Liverpool, I won’t be disappointed. You can’t defend the indefensible. I would rather lose with dignity than win with deceit. Maybe I am just antiquated with my ideas about honor and fair play.

• jtm371 says:

Patrick
        BRAVO thanks for being honest and a fan not a fanatic.Honor and Dignity never go out of style it is just people without those attributes that say their not important.

32. jtm371 says:

suarez not saurez

33. Smokey Bacon says:

Rodgers told Suarez to get stuck in at half time. Must have got lost in translation.

34. jtm371 says:

i am sure pool fans will blame Ivanovic because his arm was to close to the rabbit’s open mouth.

35. bostongunner says:

Can’t wait to hear what excuses and rationalizations the LFC cultists come up with for the Suarez bite.

• Patrick says:

As a I said on above post, I am a Liverpool while some LFC people may make excuses for Suarez, I for one will not be one of them. There is no excuse for what he did and if it were up to me I would get rid of him in the summer. The man doesn’t deserve to play at Anfield.

36. Smokey Bacon says:

Benayoun on. Not much meat on the bone there for the hungry Uraguayan.

37. SeminoleGunner says:

I feel like we’re overlooking the obvious with this bite incident.

This isn’t another Suarez disgrace, this is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

38. CTBlues says:

Suarez shouldn’t even have been on the pitch to score that goal.

• SeminoleGunner says:

Yeah it doesn’t get much worse than that.

We can debate the importance of blown offside calls or questionable penalties in a given week, but it’s hard to get past attempted cannibalism during a match.

39. Patrick says:

Normally, I would feel over the moon at a last second equalizer, but this a hollow draw because Suarez shouldn’t have even been on the field. If saying this makes me less of an LFC fan then I am guilty as charged.

40. Smokey Bacon says:

Wow, that just took a bite out of Chelsea’s champions league hopes.

41. Guy says:

Hopefully, that will be Luis’s last action for the year.

42. jtm371 says:

hope you enjoy it it is the last time you will be on the pitch for a long time you time.Ivanovic might want to check he is up to date on his tetanus vaccination.

43. Marc L says:

He bites who he wants!
    He bites who he wants!
    LU-IS SUAREZ!
    He bites who he wants!

But he is one beautiful dirty little cannibal in my eyes right now.

On the other hand, is there any use whatsoever for Shelvey? I mean, other than cast as “creepy sublieutenant to Bond Villain” in the next Daniel Craig flick.

Good god is Shelvey terrible.

44. jtm371 says:

the question will pool come out with suarez shirts after he is suspended in a show of support?just wondering they have set prescient by doing that in the past.no chance of PFA RVP in a walk.

45. CTBlues says:

Hopefully ManU wins tomorrow and locks up the league and wont care when we go up to Old Trafford in May.

46. Sacto Blues says:

Well the FA are again trying to screw Chelsea. Last week Aguero should have been sent off and now Suarez should have gone. Where did the 6 minutes come from ?

• Marc L says:

Was there a sub in added time? I don’t think so, so you would think they should have blown that prior to LFC’s last desperate run.

• Marc L says:

Okay, Lampard for Mata in the 90th minute then? Still only supposed to give 30 seconds for that. I think Biter’s goal goes in at 96:45 or so.

Yeah, I think you guys got Fergie Timed.

• CTBlues says:

Where did that 30 seconds come from after the 6?

• Wongo1 says:

Discretion of the ref son you know the rule. Please do not talk about screwing CFC, when you guys played United Luis should have gone for his foul on Chica but was still on the pitch. These things even out.

• Sacto Blues says:

Was that the game last October when Torres went when it showed that Evans did in fact foul him ? or Hernandez was in an offside position to score the winning goal ? Yeah you’re right Chelsea shouldn’t complain .. I mean Ba gets his nose broken in the box against Newcastle and nothing called ( we lost ) or Aguero stomps on Luiz and nothing is called ( we lost ) and or Suarez bites Ivanovich or Sturridge cheese grates Bertrand ( the same for Giroud who was sent off ) so yeah you’re right we should just stop bitching and not be so paranoid.

47. Dust says:

Seriously… All those LFC fans that try and say Suarez and bale are no different…. LoL

Insane absolutely insane…. He has to be banned… He is a serial bitter, racist, stamper, handballing cheating all round bad egg.

I hope he goes in the summer… Don’t want him in the league.

CFC must be fuming

• SeminoleGunner says:

Any comparison to Bale is totally wrong.

It’s one thing to pick insects off someone and eat them, Bale is simply grooming his friends and family. Entirely different to take a bite out of an opponent.

48. Andre says:

For all the people complaining about Suarez’s cannibalistic recidivism, haven’t you ever wanted seconds?

49. Guy says:

Luis Suarez, Stop World Hunger’s poster boy.

50. Mufc77 says:

Oh dear what did Luis the racist do now?

51. Wongo1 says:

UNITED!!! UNITED!!!!

52. Wongo1 says:

He cheats, he dives he tries to eat players alive!! Luis, Luis!!

53. Frank says:

Suarez takes a bite out of Chelsea’s Champions League quest.

Unbelievable ending with the last play ending in Suarez’s goal. Chelsea must feel gutted because they thought they had hung on for all 3 points. Two points dropped for them.

Could this be the end of Suarez’s time at Liverpool? I think so. I cannot imagine that a club of Liverpool’s stature will allow him to play for them next season. It will also cost Liverpool in his transfer as he will be sold at a lower price than what they might have got otherwise.

54. jtm371 says:

this is a huge moment for BR tenure at pool he better get on the right side or he will wear a scarlet letter.remember dignity and honor never go out of style.

55. Marc L says:

I for one would love to see Suarez back in the League next year. Just for the cannibal/biting-oriented songs alone that people would come up with.

56. Marc L says:

Holy crap – a friend of mine just told me that a scouse fan on 5 live defended Suarez by saying he merely pushed his teeth at Ivanovic’s arm. Without actually biting him.

We know Suarez is big on simulation, of course, but a simulated BITE?

57. Mufc77 says:

If Liverpool Fc are smart they will suspend him for the rest of the season right away. He’s already going to get a lengthy ban so the club might aswell get some good PR out if this situation by seemingly doing the right thing.

Hopefully they don’t make the same PR mistakes as they did when he racially abused Evra.

58. Frank says:

While everyone is obsessed with the Suarez bite, here’s video to show the other side of the sport. Petr Cech giving his jersey to a Liverpool fan who is in a wheelchair.

Good to know there are still some sporting players in the world. Well done Petr!

• Marc L says:

I’ve heard about at least 10 things like this that Cech has done over the last several years. Super guy by all accounts.