FOX Soccer Near Deal to Show New Soccer Tournament in US Beginning This Summer: The Nightly EPL
FOX Soccer is reportedly working on a deal to televise a brand-new soccer tournament that will launch this summer featuring eight prominent teams playing exhibition matches around the United States, with the final to be played at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium in early August, according to reports in Sports Illustrated and Sports Business Journal.
Details are sketchy (a press conference has been scheduled for tomorrow), but teams reportedly interested in participating include Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and Juventus. One or more teams from England and Germany are also expected to compete.
The single-elimination tournament is named the International Champions Cup and is being spearheaded by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. The winning team in the tournament will reportedly receive $1 million in prize money.
The tournament will be featured on FOX Soccer this summer, while FOX Sports 1 will televise the matches in the summer of 2014 and 2015.
RSE Ventures is also organizing the pair of Manchester City-Chelsea friendlies in the US in May as well as the friendlies between Spain and Haiti plus Spain and Ireland.
Which Premier League team(s) would you like to see participating in the tournament? Let us know in the comments section below.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- FOX Sports near deal to show new soccer event — Sports Business Journal
- Edinson Cavani hints that he may leave Napoli in the summer — The Guardian
- Arsène Wenger admits Jack Wilshere was ‘rushed’ back too early ahead of Everton visit — Telegraph
- Everton must start showing big-game mentality, says Phil Jagielka — The Guardian
- Bill Kenwright’s Speech at Hillsborough Memorial — Empire Of The Kop
- Sergio Agüero escapes punishment for two-footed tackle on David Luiz — The Guardian
- Fulham agree deal to sign Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta — The Mirror
- Sam Allardyce fears new rules will ‘blow whole deal’ for Andy Carroll — The Guardian
- Frank Lampard is running out of time to hit goal record — The Mail
- Referee Howard Webb exiled to Colchester after string of gaffes in Tyne-Wear derby — The Mail
- Manchester United pay tribute to the 96 Hillsborough victims — 101 Great Goals
- Rooney and Van Persie target record points tally for Manchester United — The Guardian
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.